Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Anyone got a Triumph Street Triple?
  • sam_underhill

I've been coveting these for quite some time, in fact since July last year when I passed my direct access course.

With a new contract starting, it looks like I might just have to treat myself – despite the Mrs saying I'm not allowed one 😉

So, who's got one to show off?

robgarrioch

Top fun-bike that innit, won a few group tests + Bike mag's bike of the year. I think it's ok to get a fairly quick / powerful bike after DAS provided you're 'sensible' – had a '98 Fazer 600 after doing mine, best time I ever had on a bike. Quite fancied one myself but have progressed onto mountain bikes / bits now instead ( 🙄 ) & need a bit more practicality for pillion / long distances.
    Can you get an insurance deal thrown in? Suspect it's fairly high grouping 'cos it's desirable.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Have you done any riding in the past 18 months since DAS? If not, possibly a bit wasted on a new rider. Better to get to grips with it on a slower bike. Street Triples are supposed to be really good, but about 5grand for the cheapest.

sam_underhill

Nope not done much other riding since my DAS. I'm certain that the ST will be largely wasted to start with. But at the same time, from what I gather, I don't it is too much of a hand full either. I don't want to buy something cheap n chearful now, only to replace it in 6 months / a years time.

Insurance is looking at something around the £500 mark.

Aristotle
    Free Member

I don't want to buy something cheap n chearful now, only to replace it in 6 months / a years time.

Why not? Learn the ropes, improve as a rider and go through winter on a hack then get something nicer.

samuri
    Free Member

I've been coveting one since last year when someone posted a picture on here. They look great and I really want one but I can't afford one and I'll just kill myself on it anyway.

edit: ignore that, it's the Daytona I want.

juan
    Free Member

What aristole says.
    To be fair I would put most of the money aside on a saving account for a couple of years, during which I'll be riding a "first bike".
    That could be a SRX 600 a XT 600 a CB 500 to be fair anythign with a 400-600 cc engine a around the 50 bhp mark. Plus I if you are planning on riding a lot, I would invest on quality riding gear, as you will keep the gear longer than the bike.

Once you have learn to ride then you can flash the cash on a street triple.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I don't want to buy something cheap n chearful now, only to replace it in 6 months / a years time.

You'll not feel that way when/if it goes skidding down the road! 😉

sam_underhill

Why not? Learn the ropes, improve as a rider and go through winter on a hack then get something nicer.

I appreciate that I've got more to learn about riding than I can possibly imagine, but can't I learn the ropes on something nice?

5thElefant
    Free Member

If you want one, buy one. They stand up well compared with Japanese bikes.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The thing about bikes is that they have good resale values. Buy a decent used mid range bike for say £1000 (EG – Bandit, CB500, SV650, there's plenty around) and a year later you'll most likely get £900 back for it. I've done it a couple of times. Madea profit once, lost £50 another time.
    Buy wisely and you won't loose any money.
    There's nothing wrong with getting a nice bike straight off, but you are in all likelyhood going to drop it at some point. Probably slowly though, but it's gonna make you cry when you have to get the spares to repair it. A low speed/stationary drop can easily cost £300…….

Aristotle
    Free Member

I appreciate that I've got more to learn about riding than I can possibly imagine, but can't I learn the ropes on something nice?

Of course, but a 500/600 hack will be quick enough. With bikes, it's actually about the rider, much more so than with a car.

-although for a lot of people in the UK it's about telling people what a fast, shiny bike they have sat in the garage for 359 days of the year 😉

samuri
    Free Member

get a little headbanging bike then. Still plenty of 350 powervalves knocking about.

hold on tight through that powerband

anagallis_arvensis

I'm learning the ropes on a BMW F650 I got for £900 its great fun, dropped it the other week pulling up into a pull in as I hit a kerb that I couldnt see as it was covered in leaves. Oops, bent me brake lever and added a few scratches. Never mind, you live and learn. I'm sure I would be gutted had I scratched and brusised a nice bike.

sam_underhill

@PeterPoddy – yep, almost certain I'll drop it at some point. I dropped my DAS course bike doing u-turns in a tight road. I felt pretty stupid, but you've got to learn some how right?

Hopefully some decent crash protections stuff will help. I do partly see the sense in buying something to not worry about, but where do you draw the line? don't buy anything shiny until you've dropped a crappy bike at least twice? three times? May as well buy something that makes you smile, if you drop it, well.. hope that you aren't injured, learn from the experience and pray that it won't be too expensive to fix!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh, I had a 955i Speed Triple for 6 years/28000 miles. Loved it. Wonderful bike. Stonking engine.
    In all that time apart from general consumables and servicing all that went wrong was all 3 cables (clutch, throttle, speedo) had to be replaced. It was even on the original battery, despite living outside (No alarm to kill it)

But I dropped it at about 30mph a week after I bought it (Used, 19 months old) and I'd been riding 4 years by then. It went through the waterpump cover, snapped the footpeg and gear lever, bent the bars, smashed a mirror, and did some bodywork damage (It had a really expensive screen on it which was damaged) That cost me something in the region of £600-£700 to repair. I had to get new spares as we were off touring a week later. That did sting a bit…..

5thElefant
    Free Member

Why are so many people suggesting the OP buys some old shed? A 350 powervalve? FFS! I've rebuilt more 2-stroke motors than I can remember and I wouldn't touch one with a very large shitty stick.

If someone was looking for a top spec mountainbike would you suggest a £50 halfords clunker because it would be cheaper?

stanley

Slightly different, but I had a 1050 Speed Triple.
    Loved it ! The best bike I've ever owned in 25 years of motorbiking.

Sold it last year and bought a 1200GS. A bit different, but I wanted to do some fairly rugged, long distance, two-up touring.

Never heard a bad word said about the Street Triple.
    Buy one, then upgrade to the 1050 in a couple of years 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

I've rebuilt more 2-stroke motors than I can remember and I wouldn't touch one with a very large shitty stick.

How odd, I've had many years happy riding on two strokes with no issues. Maybe it's the way you're rebuilding them.

Aristotle
    Free Member

I dropped my DAS course bike doing u-turns in a tight road. I felt pretty stupid

I'm not surprised! 😉

I think we all(including Samuri) know that a 25 year old RD350 would be a terrible choice, but a good fun.

If someone was looking for a top spec mountainbike would you suggest a £50 halfords clunker because it would be cheaper?

Not quite the same thing.

Jolsa

I'll join the club – passed my DAS just over a year ago, been riding a CB500 regularly since but would love a Street Triple. Thing is I have to park on street and some scally has already try to nick it (cut off the feeble Safeman cable lock that's used just to keep the cover on, then discovered the disc lock at which point they must have got rather annoyed as they cut all of my pipes – cue £100 repairs). Just as well the Street Triple is out of my price range really – makes the decision for me!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

5th elephant – the point is it is easier to learn to ride properly on a smaller bike.

Buy a 100+ bhp bike for your first bike and it will take you longer to develop the skills.

I would always reccomend a 50 bhp ish bike for a first real bike. Fast enough that you won't get bored in a few months – easy enough to ride so that you can learn to ride it properly.

5thElefant
    Free Member

How odd, I've had many years happy riding on two strokes with no issues. Maybe it's the way you're rebuilding them.

I raced for years. You rebuild a motor every 30 hours.

Nothing wrong with new 2-strokes but 30 year old bikes that attract lunatics with the limited mechanical knowledge (and money) are not a sensible buy, even if you have deep pockets and enjoy rebuilding motors.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hopefully some decent crash protections stuff will help

I dropped the Triumph twice in the 6 years I had it. Second one wasn't really my fault: Woman indicated to turn right and slowed down, I went to ease up the left side of her and as I got close she pulled back in to the left on me. I hit the brakes too hard and went down, 30mph-ish again. This time I did have R&G crash bungs on it and they do work. I just had to file the burrs off a footpeg and replace the mirror/lever clamp mount.

Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's not nice either… 🙂

[whisper]Ducati Monster[/whisper] 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

5th elephant – the point is it is easier to learn to ride properly on a smaller bike.

To be fair, you won't get much smaller and lighter than a Street Triple (I doubt it's much heavier or larger than a CB500), so there is some sense in his decision. My wife had a Speed Four, which I rode a couple of times. It has to be said that as far as safe confident handling and braking goes, that was wonderful: Light, flickable, stable, great brakes. I can only imagine the Street Triple is the same, or better, with a decent engine in it…… 🙂

juan
    Free Member

lol at peter.
    I agree it's not because it's cheap that's it's not nice either 😉

woodsman
    Free Member

Are Triumph still British – are the bikes and engines still manufactured in the Uk? I hope so, but fear not!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You still riding the SRX, Juan? 🙂

juan
    Free Member

I can only imagine the Street Triple is the same, or better, with a decent engine in it……

Thing is buy the time you already knew how to ride a bike. Problem is that is you have a 50bhp bike you'll have to learn the basics to be able to cope. Cornering, braking etc etc.
    If you buy a 100+ bike the only skill you'll learn is how to throttle on. I usualy ride on my own, but I manage to overtake lots off people on more powerfull shiny sb (albeit only in corners). The only few tiem I have rode with someone else, he had a sped four, and to be fair that being his first proper bike in years he only coudl go fast during straight.

juan
    Free Member

Well you know I can't get rid of things ;), specially with two wheels
    Peter I went from Cannes to l'alpe d'huez and retrun twice this summer, all buy the cols (la bonette, var, l'isoar and so).
    I am waiting for the f*ù$*ùing mechanic to call me and tell me he finally has the parts for a engine rebuild.

Went yesterday with the SO. First ride with a pillon and lets face it I hated it 😀

sam_underhill

To be fair, you won't get much smaller and lighter than a Street Triple

Absolutely. I think a Street triple is around 160kgs.

Regarding power, most manufacturers don't make anything in a proper size with only 50bhp. Even things like a Bandit are over 80bhp and that is regarded as a good option as a first big bike.

So, that's decided then, I'll buy a street triple, post a lovely shiny picture of it to you all, then a couple of months later post a very sorry looking picture of a dropped, dented street triple and you can all say "I told you so".

5thElefant
    Free Member

would always reccomend a 50 bhp ish bike for a first real bike. Fast enough that you won't get bored in a few months – easy enough to ride so that you can learn to ride it properly.

The speed triple is a mid-capacity road bike. It may be over 50bhp, but it's no superbike.

Although I fully understand the charms of an old, low power clunker, a bike is a toy. If someone wants a nice toy and not some old clunker then you won't convince them otherwise. I can't think of any desirable 50bhp road bikes. There isn't a market for them.

sam_underhill

After a frankly dull series of conversations over the last few months about money and buying a bike the Mrs said today

I won't try to stop you buying one anymore.

Does this mean –
    a) Fine, go ahead enjoy yourself. You deserve a treat.
    b) You've worn me down. You can buy one but don't expect to remain in possession of both you b*ll***s for much longer.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Had one, loved it, regretted selling it ever since. As someone else has posted, the speed four's are good, as is the street triple – go for it, if you can afford it – you wont regret it.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It means you'll have to buy her a sports car.

woodsman
    Free Member

Made in Tawain then…………

I guess

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you try to learn on a 100bph bike what IME tends to happen is you don't learn to corner properly or use the gears properly – as you can keep up good average speeds by blasting down straights and wobbling slowly round corners. – as well as all the power and torque meaning that you don't rev the motor out.

I have seen this pattern repeated many times.

As for desirable 50 bhpish bikes – SV 650 / ER6 / BMW 650 ( OK the SV is a bit more than 50bhp)

Ask experienced motorcyclists and most of them will agree – do not get a 100 bhp bike for your first bike – learn to corner and use the gears on a smaller slower bike – that will also be cheaper if and when you drop it.

A street triple is not as bad a choice as some for sure – but i still don't think it is a good first bike

allybee
    Free Member

I've seen plenty of Street Triples being ridden as commuter bikes by people who look like they've not been riding long. So I say go for it, life's too short.

As for being allowed it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. 😉

juan
    Free Member

I've seen plenty of Street Triples being ridden as commuter bikes by people who look like they've not been riding long.

Well they seems to be the new bike to go to the coffee down here. The riders probably won't even know where the 4th gear is.

simon_g

I had this kind of conversation with a few people after I bought my Monster. That I should have bought a ratty old 500 to "learn the ropes" and that it would be "easier to handle" than anything bigger. That a whopping extra 20hp might overwhelm my riding skills and I'd drop anything expensive as soon as I looked at it. And of course, being a Ducati if I scraped anything it would bankrupt me.

The Monster is actually lower, lighter and a hell of a lot easier to ride than the GS500 I learned on mainly thanks to a gearbox that works properly and a lovely light clutch which has helped slow-speed stuff no end.

The crucial point for me is that I absolutely love the thing – the way it looks, it goes, the sound it makes – and as it's not my primary transport, that means I'm far more likely to use it. Whether it's an early Sunday blast or the odd 60 mile trip through London out to the office, I enjoy doing it and will try to keep on doing that even as it gets colder – I'm determined to not just have it sat there till Spring.

My DAS instructor's advice was simple: buy the bike you really want. If you can afford it and it's a manageable bike for you, why not?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Triumph Street Triple?’ is closed to new replies.