• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by jeff.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • anyone got a flymo?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Can’t belive I’m asking about lawnmowers, but…

I need a mower that is easy to heft about and can cope with uneven/lump lawns. Currently using a rotary mower but even with care it tends to scalp the lawn a bit more than i’d like. Man in b&q says a flymo is what I want, anyone have any experience?

mangoridebike

I’d agree with him, the fly mo action seems to create a bit of lift so the mower is easier to move around. you’re able to sweep it from side to side rather than just going forwards and backwards.

It does seem to be a bit kinder on bumpy lawns too, but I guess it depends how bumpy we’re talking 🙂

mrsflash
    Free Member

Yes, we have a flymo with collection box and it’s much better to use than our old wheeled mower. the compression part of the collection box is rubbish though, it just collects grass normally.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Can’t believe I’m replying… 😉

Theory makes sense, swinging side to side is sometimes easier to use (and good for the abs!)

In reality, our flymo was a terrible purchase. Blows grass everywhere, even a ‘collector’ one, motor blew up after little use and was going to cost more to repair than replace the mower! I also found it blew the grass flat, then battered then ends off it, rather than cutting it.

Also, bear in mind that the flymo rides on an air cushion. If the bumps are really bumpy, it will ‘spill’ all it’s air cushion and still scalp the tops of the bumps.

I got a Bosch on wheels and it’s miles better.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’d agree with him, the fly mo action seems to create a bit of lift so the mower is easier to move around. you’re able to sweep it from side to side rather than just going forwards and backwards.

My flymo (came with the flat im renting) specifically says not to swing side to side or you’ll damage the handle mounting points. However it copes with my extremely lumpy and slopey garden just fine and a sharp blade cuts very nicely. Collector box fills in far too quick a time though, but maybe thats because I leave it too long between mows!

SiB
    Free Member

What about flattening said bumps…..rotary cut always looks better.

Davy
    Free Member

Why not save your money, and just spend some time evening out your lawn? Buy a bag of grass seed and a ton of topsoil. Fill in the hollows, shave down the lumps, pack it down, then spread the seed around.

neilforrow

or lawn sand, put it in the hollows and it will flattern the lawn out over time…

IanMunro
    Free Member

Nearly bought a flymo a couple of weeks ago for a small lumpy lawn, but after looking at the appalling reviews of all the small models, bought a bosh rotary instead, which works far better than I remember my mum’s old flymo did.

StuF

We’ve got an old flymo – its ok but not great. Its got silly little plastic blades that keep snapping as soon as it touches anything more than a blade of grass. But it does get the job done

jeff

Wish I’d never bought one – only floats until it’s half full then it’s too heavy, any bumps cause problems and it blows grass and dirt everywhere.

Apart from that, it’s great!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘anyone got a flymo?’ is closed to new replies.