Anyone got a bamboo bike here?

Home Forum Bike Forum Anyone got a bamboo bike here?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone got a bamboo bike here?
  • Premier Icon bratty
    Subscriber

What they like?

(I shudder to think of any homebrew ones made by STW types after other threads involving bodging!)

compositepro

I have no idea but theres a guy in the UK that builds them, could forward his details

Premier Icon bratty
    Subscriber

Cheers, it was more of a case of idle curiosity though.

warton

asking that on here is like asking if there’s any Catholics in the Vatican…

JamesH

I was actually working for Bamboo Bikes (http://www.bamboobike.co/) until fairly recently. Amazing bikes really! I can put you through to a few different people, or can try my best to answer any questions on here

This was my bike:

Bamboo XC Bike by J_Hphotos, on Flickr

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

Mate of ours just built his own with the Bamboo Bicycle Club.
    Linky.

Cost him about £400 for the frame.
    He was very impressed with the set up, the help he received and the facilities.

He’s happy with the results and is building it up with a Sturmey Archer 8 (I think) speed hub as a town bike.

He reckons the next one he does will be 100% neater, but he’s ended up with a functional frame of his own design that he built himself.

Can put you in touch with him if you like.

Premier Icon bratty
    Subscriber

Help! I was just wondering what they were like and I’m being pressed ganged into building one!

Only joking – thanks for the info, but I was just wondering what they were like. They certainly seem interesting though, although I have always pictured myself as a beardy steel frame fabricator).

What do they weigh? How do they ride?

Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

There’s a guy that comes into our shop that built his own, it’s nice to ride and i’d have no worries bout’ using it.

kcr

Not mine; Bamboo, super glue and nylon tights:

http://skidmarksonthesemmits.blogspot.co.uk/

He’s got previous. Home made hill climb special, based on a garden clothes drier:

jay_tht

My wife has one had its first ride today.. I only been on it for a shake down ride once I built it up but only cyclepaths seems to rides nice need to give it a full beans ride in a week or so on local loop..

But Gayle said it was good fun..

compositepro

this was on bikerumour

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/02/08/road-to-nahbs-2013-boo-bicycles/

theres another guy called mark kelly who built an awesome bike out of wood from what i gather it was more to do with being better at vibration damping ..etc than carbon

bencooper

A Flying Gate made out of a clothes drier – brilliant!

neilm

Wouldn’t that make it a Flying Dryer?

I’m assuming the builders surname is Obree

kcr

Billy Minto. Link to his blog above.

TurnerGuy

All the scaffolding in hong kong was bamboo when I visited recently, so must be strong.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a bamboo bike here?’ is closed to new replies.