Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anyone good at Turner frame and ebay ad verification?
  • jimmy

Very tempted to buy this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201013443887?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

First thing – I only want it if its 2011 or later and he says its 2011. Any way to tell for sure?

Secondly, what to look for in terms of dodgyness. Have a pal in Bath who can visit to see it but still I have an inherent mistrust of ebay to overcome.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Coogan or chunky will know

RustyMac

2011 came with a 44mm zero stack headset iianm that looks like a 2010 to me.

Special_ized_Jamie

Think the 2011 had a 44mm headtube, that looks normal size. I have a 2010 5 Spot and pretty sure that’s in proportion to mine

granny_ring

Isn’t the 2011 the start of the tapered head tube or was that 2012, cant remember for sure…..
    EDIT
    As ^ have said looks, like a straight headtube to me too.

khani
    Free Member

I thought the five spot had a 44mm semi integrated headtube by 2011, that’s got a 1.18th straight headtube..
    I’d check cos the ones with the 44mm headtube were slacker as well, and they take tapered forks, that one won’t..

davosaurusrex

One giveaway is the seat tube gusset but as the small doesn’t have one not much help. The other is that the 2011 has a 44mm headtube, hard to see on my phone but that looks very much like 1″1/8 so I’d have said it’s 2010 or earlier

coogan
    Free Member

Hmmm, I’m not sure. The welding round by the bottom to the seat tube/BB shell is all sealed. I’ve got a 2010 frame and it’s not all sealed around that area. But the rear mech gear cable goes through a wee hole in the swing arm and my 2010 doesn’t have that. But then bare in mind, Turner don’t really do them by year models, they tend to update them as they go.

rickon
    Free Member

That’s pretty easy, 2011 was orange or black. 2010 was grey or raw.

Its a 2010. Simple.

The late 2010s had a reinforced taco and BB weld, but this just looks like a small 2010. So old geometry.

Not a bargain at £1650 IMO. You could buy a 2011 one for that with a decent fork.

coogan
    Free Member

Oh yeah, that’s right rickon!

mildred

Definitely a late 2010 – they introduced that little triangular gusset on the bridge between the bottom of the seat tube and lower shock mount after they added the welds to the taco on bigger sizes.

Looking at the condition and build I think that is actually a bargain. Though folk moan about head angles I never found mine too steep. They’re great bikes. If you like I’d buy it – I’ve been keeping an eye out for a later model with bolt through rear and they’re rare as hens teeth at the moment.

johnners
    Free Member

That’s pretty easy, 2011 was orange or black. 2010 was grey or raw

Oh yeah, that’s right rickon!

My 2010 is red.

jimmy

cheers, I did think the headset was maybe suspect. dammit, anyone got a 2011 for sale in small?

johnners
    Free Member

Don’t be put off the 2010 by all the head angle hysterics you read on here, they’re fine bike if you can get one for the right price. Not much good if you’ve a tapered fork looking for a good home, mind.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

It’s a 2010, I’ve got a medium in that colour.

Is it just the headangle that’s steering you (ho ho!) to a 2011?

You could always fit a works component headset to knock off 1.5 degrees.

voodoo-rich

2011 catalogue says 44mm headtube, but standard 2010 versions didn’t have that rear end, so I’d agree with late 2010. Standard 2010 builds didn’t have colour-matched rear end either.

Between 2010 and 2011 they started measuring geometry with a longer fork- 515mm in 2010, 525mm in 2011. A longer fork on a 2010 will slacken the head angle a little. 130 to 160mm allowed, apparently!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about a bolt through rear end – the rear triangle on the turner is super solid and not likely to have any stiffness issues.

Late 2010 I reckon.

sparkerfix

My two penneth would suggest 2010. It’s painted (. 2011 were anodised) and head tube is not 44mm (as we’re 2011) Graphics were also etched or something like on 2011 on.

mactheknife

Yep, my 2011 is anodised grey with etched graphics. That is defo 2010.

snaps
    Free Member

This is my 2010 5spot bought in early 2011, I think they added chain device mounts on 2011 models as well as the 44mm headtube.

sparkerfix

Pretty sure my 2011 don’t have iscg tabs.

renton
    Free Member

That’s a 2010 frame.

Same as mine.

It has the taco weld behind the rear shock.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anyone good at Turner frame and ebay ad verification?’ is closed to new replies.