Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • SU fuel pump cross compatibilty? You'll be amazed.
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

HIGH FIVE The Mini Works! I set to starting the Rolls Royce. The fuel pump points didn’t click. Bummer, so I whipped out the pump then promptly dropped it breaking the brittle Bakelite points housing. 3 o’clock on a Saturday afternoon, who are you gonna call? There was only ever one number to call.

Simon has a stash of old SUs. We are now in an age where such things are sealed unserviceable units. So what would be the chances of Simon finding a fuel pump part from a ’63 Mini Cooper S to be the perfect match for a ’75 Rolls Royce Corniche? 100% success as it turned out. Turns out the ’60s BMC works cars used one side of the same twin high pressure pumps, in the event of failure they’d switch to the other side. Simon, you are a star!

http://www.theminiworks.co.uk/

trail_rat
    Free Member

But if you get the roller on the road- what will you use as a workbench ?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Car related but mainly just to show off my new toy. Abuse welcome/expected.

I fixed the screen washer

Well done on the Mini

allthepies
    Free Member

paintwork looks poor from that pic.

hammyuk
    Free Member

WCA – that’s not that thing that was sat on the grass outside the bungalow by B&Q?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

It’s the sills I can’t get over – it reminds me of the fashion for drilling holes in everything to make your bike lighter – and they don’t look evenly spaced.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Paint job is crap. Just a once over to get a basic colour

Sills are stock from the factory. Damn the germans with their uneven drilling

mattbee

Hammy, not that one.
    It looks much better in the flesh tbh, the pic doesn’t do it justice. Afaik the paint is a temporary measure until a proper spray job is organised.
    Other than that I think it needs something in the ‘mouth’ , either mesh or maybe a horizontal chrome bar in the middle, and maybe chrome quarter bumpers.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

WCA, did you ever sell your big badass Mercedes?

leffeboy

There are not many people could start a thread with “i couldn’t get my Rolls to start” and not receive a torrent of abuse 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

8) @ Leffeboy. The night is yet young.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Who do you use for roller parts? I am next door to a company called Flying Spares so spend the days surrounded by old and knackered Rolls Royce’s and Benleys.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve used Flying Spares in the past, they are really good.

toppers3933
    Free Member

They’ve helped me out loads. Which as a new business has been great. Their stock of stuff is amazing. One of the mechanics was telling me they have enough parts to build a complete continental gt!

njee20
    Free Member

There are not many people could start a thread with “i couldn’t get my Rolls to start” and not receive a torrent of abuse

If its any consolation I rolled my eyes and thought ‘oh dear’. I’m also not amazed, at all. Sorry, tough crowd.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

My previous “Bad Ass£ Mercedes was a CL600AMG which I have got rid of. I have replaced it with my daily drive SLK Kleemann S8 which is also stupid but fun.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The tool shelf’s annual outing.

itstig

How far did the tool shelf travel on its day out?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

How far did the tool shelf travel on its day out?

A little more than it’s own length.

itstig

Under its own power or a hefty shove?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Under its own power or a hefty shove?

Under its own power, it started first turn with the fuel pumps working. The brakes are sticking a bit, so I didn’t want to risk going any further.

It weights 2200kg, pushing it on anything other than a downhill is near impossible.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I do have a soft spot for the old RRs.

Did you buy it for the fun of ownership, renovation or something else?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My folks bought it in the early 90s. They used it a fair bit, trips to Cornwall and Orkney. They even got a speeding ticket in it. The steering was pretty sketchy at motorway speeds, a medal would have been more appropriate. It sat in the garage for a while and the brakes seized and a coil spring broke.

I fixed those then some bad rust appeared. So for the last fifteen years it’s been languishing in the shed as my tool shelf. We were it’s second owners, it’s only done 70k. It’s annual mileage now is just in and out of the shed so I can get into the pit.

It is a great old car, the engineering is really old school. It was pretty quick for it’s weight, but it handled like a supertanker. One day I might fix it up, but 8mpg means I won’t be in any real hurry.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

If you were a bit closer I would pop round to have a look. If you drive it down to the Big Bike Bash next year I will give you a free family ticket!

globalti
    Free Member

Remember: a Rolls Royce never breaks down; it just fails to proceed!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Remember: a Rolls Royce never breaks down; it just fails to proceed!

Nah, his is an old RR. It just proceeds to fail. Part of the joy of ownership

😉

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘SU fuel pump cross compatibilty? You'll be amazed.’ is closed to new replies.