Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone gone to Sierra Nevada on their own biking without a guide company?
  • simonralli2
    Free Member

Bit of a long shot I know as although many people here have been to the Sierra Nevada, it mostly seems to be with guide companies.

I am thinking of spending a few days in March with my bike and the Bikefax Southern Spain book. I think for me these could be challenging in a good way, and I am hoping to get some real altitude on some of the rides.

I’ve been to Orgiva before camping in April, but was seriously cold so may well try and find ad cheap hotel, maybe for 5 or 6 nights.

Just wondered if anyone has done this, either solo or with a friend or two. I’d love to have a few day’s guided rides to help with the navigation, but that doesnt seem to be an option if riding solo.

I was also thinking of a long weekend later in June to do the Guejar Sierra rides.

Any orgiva ish hostel recommendations would be welcome too!

Cheers

Si

sparky
    Free Member

Have ridden around Orgiva twice on my own, having learnt the trails. Trails are easy to find if you have the right map. The one I use is fab, can’t remember where I got it though.

hairyscary

We’ve been without a guide before, but only after going with Switchbacks the year before, so knew the lie of the land beforehand. Mike at Switchbacks might let you tag along with some of his groups for a small fee if it’s not at peak times for him. Drop him a line, he’s most amenable. Only seems to answer e-mails once a week on a Sunday night though.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Sparky

Hi – I have the 1: 40 000 Parque Nacional de Sierra Nevada map. So yeah, I guess that combined with the Bikefax book maps should mean I am ok. I will probably ride the Istan/ Sierra de las Nieves route as a taster. I also want to do the Montes de malaga rides but to be honest I can’t see how to get to the start – my roadmap doesnt seem to show how to get off and on to the minor roads.

I think i will just drive up there and go for it – even if I have one or two duff days not finding trails at least I’ll be up in the mountains.

djglover
    Free Member

When i bought this book (click), The author emailed me to offer to guide me round the Sierra nevada as he lives there I think..

might be worth buying it and getting in tough

simonralli2
    Free Member

djglover

Hi – when we went out with SeasonallyUnadjusted Jim he pointed out the author’s house which was in the El Chorro region.

It’s not a bad book but it doesn’t have any maps. I did buy a GPS unit but I’ll be damned if i have worked out how to use it as I think the Euro system is different to the Uk system map wise and I probably bought too complex a unit – I should have bought a really basic garmin insteasd of the Garmin that got the gadget freak in me all excited.

When I went to Sierra Nevada last year without my bike i had a very magical experience, and so really, I have had a rethink and should really trust the force and all that. Hey, I’ll be up in the mountains, just not on the actual routes!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone gone to Sierra Nevada on their own biking without a guide company?’ is closed to new replies.