Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Anyone gone to Discovery+ since the closing of GCN+
  • convert

I fancy a bit of cross or whatnot and some cross country skiing or other snow sports over the hols.

But £6.99 is a lot for how much I’ll use it. And how are you finding the interface? Much usable on demand?

the-muffin-man

Never mind the sport there’s every episode of Wheeler Dealers available for your delight and delectation!! 😍😍🤣🤣

molesworth

I went over to Discovery+ when (more or less) compelled to do so when Eurosport stopped being an entity in the UK.

The UI isn’t great – but the real problem is how insultingly glitchy the Discovery+ app is on Amazon Firestick: it is utter dogshit. In my experience it will open correctly after crashing the on first attempt. Give yourself 2 minutes swearing time ahead of planning to watch anything.

The web (i.e. browser) offering works without problem (in my experience – YMMD) on Safari/Chrome/Firefox on Mac OS. I can’t speak for other platforms.

Given how much of the market the Amazon platform has (and given how no other app on that platform performs as reliably miserably) they need to up their game.

The actual content is essentially the same Eurosport offering – generally very good,

BruceWee

Nope, it’s going to be Hardline, Cerro Abajo, and dodgy streams to watch the Giro and the Tour for me from now on (if I can be bothered).

It’s a shame because GCN+ was doing a great job of getting me into more and more different cycling disciplines.

bensales
    Free Member

PSA – the middle tier of Discovery+ (the 6.99) is free/included if you have Sky Q or Sky Glass. You set up an account on Discovery+, link it to your Sky account, and then you can watch on the D+ app on any device, or on the Sky box.

slowoldman

I accidentally discovered following the demise of GCN+ that I still have a Eurosport account at the same price as GCN+ Same coverage of cycling (but not the documentary films) and same feed/commentators. I shall wait to see what happens to the price at the next renewal.

flannol
    Free Member

Yes. I actually find it much easier to find the race you want to watch than GCN’s clunky layout

(On web anyway. No idea about apps)

white101

Annual pass for Eurosport is coming to an end this month and now considering do I go to Discovery or stick with Eurosport.

Are they different or just the same? Its now £6.99 pm from £40 for the year.

I need the most glitch free/tech lit option available as its not for me but my 83 yr old Dad who watches every race. We bought him a new smart TV recently and put the app on it rather than an a small iPad, given how many buttons he has to go press to get to watch the app I need something that I won’t be troubleshooting every feed zone of a race.

Kuco

I did and find the app works fine on my Xbox. I’ve enjoyed it so far and happy with the XC commentary. It’s good as it also shows the U23 racing as well. And unlike Eurosport where the race ends and the program ends they carry on with after race interviews if your interested in that sort of thing.

For myself I find it’s worth the price

yoshimi

I cancelled Sky TV last year…still seem to have access to Dicovery +….ssshhhhhhhh

stevious

I get mine as a bolt-on to my EE mobile account – not sure how much I pay as I think it was a discretionary ‘please don’t leave us’ bonus. Worth checking if you’re on EE how much it would cost you though.

Content-wise it has all the races that GCN+ had, including the Breakaway stuff with Orla et al. The full race replays and highlights packages (such as they are) seem to go up pretty quickly in the on demand bit.

The web interface is fine and there’s a convenient ‘cycling’ page that I have bookmarked that seems to have all the various bikey bits. The iOS/Apple TV apps seem to work OK as well but there’s a bit more scrolling past things like ‘Adam Woodyat’s Top Ten Parsnips’ and ‘America’s Angriest Health Inspectors’ to find a bike race.

dovebiker

I’ve had both – yes the Amazon App is exceedingly clunky /takes ages to load but generally OK once you find the programme. What I like is that if I pause a programme on my TV, I can open the App on my iPad and it picks up from where I stopped.

nickc

I got a 3 month free offer at the end of my GCN acct as a “please don’t leave us” It’ll cost me £7 from end April (Now). I get Eurosport as well as part of a Virgin TV package, and while the road race coverage on at is good, I’ve not managed to see any XCC, XCO nor am I expecting to be able to see the DH at any reasonable time either on mainstream telly Eurosport. I think you need the App or an account on Eurosport.com

So I guess I’m paying £7.00 a month to watch it this year.

ampthill

It’s been trouble free with the app in Discovery +

A significant benefit B is when you click on s live event it asks if you want “live” or “from the start”

Looking forward to the giro this weekend

jonba
    Free Member

I did. It works. The on demand isn’t anywhere near what GCN was although the racing is still there.

I find it a bit fiddly on the TV so tend to cast from my phone or laptop. No issues but I’m generally looking for something relatively recent not going back into the archives.

£6.99 is worth it for what I get out of it. Watched the CX, Classics, Mtb – A few odd UCI races my friend is riding (TDT Unibet). I’ll also likely watch the grand tours on it.

Not touched any of the non cycling content though – anything actually worth while looking at?

Yak

Yes, the £6.99 one for the world cup season. Works ok on an old xbox. Tried it direct on the tv first and it was poor, but the xbox has fixed that.

TiRed

Went from ES to D+ on Apple TV now ES closed their Apple TV app. Casting from the iPad was a pfaff too much, especially in the garage. It’s been glitch-free and am very pleased. Two hours on the Kickr flies by with a race without adverts. On the big screen (108″ projector screen) the coverage is equally good, although Mrs TiRed says no bikes in the lounge. She does watch some of the racing though.

Not touched any of the non cycling content though

Indeed, nor have I.

Kuco

Yeah, its great not having to put up with adverts.

oldfart

I checked last night , no mention of subscribing to Disco Plus , I take it when I try to watch it’ll ask me for money?

I cancelled at the end of last season’s racing .

johnners
    Free Member

The app works fine on my 4 year old Samsung TV. I just dip in and out for the Giro and the Vuelta. The MTB coverage seems ok.

It really has some utter shite elsewhere on the app though, unless you’re into the “reality” genre.

tenfoot

There is a series on there called “Lucky” narrated/hosted by Bernie Eccleston about the history of F1 , if that floats ya boat.

Been watching the women’s vuelta this week, whilst working from home.

rickmeister

Yep. €3.99 per month and no other charge gets us streaming content via the chrome browser. We don’t have any cable TV of any description.

Works fine. After a quick scan on the offering, no other stuff looks interesting so Wil likely cancel at the end of the season.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

You do need to be careful and check your equipment – the discovery+ won’t cast to early edition Chromecast devices and the discovery app is only available for smart TVs running certain webOS versions – see supported list below.

Annoyingly I’m stuffed on both counts so it’s either a new Chromecast or a new TV.

Otherwise it’s been good on tablet.

https://help.discoveryplus.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500000101182-discovery-supported-devices

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM