Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone ever made their own outdoor clothes?
  • vondally
    Free Member

Given the amount of fabrics out there has anyone ever made their own fleece coat or gilet or ?.

How hard and was it worth it?

Also we are not talking Ray Mears/Hercules/ Neolithic hunter moment…Found a dear skinned it made a lovely coat,

holst
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxm5e4EI_MA[/video]

vondally
    Free Member

😆

No bear skinned people either

mattsccm
    Free Member

Yes.
    Back in my Bangor Normal College days in the early 80’s we had to make something for course work. Over trousers were simple enough. The little English ghettos in North Wales were crowed with people like me trying to make a few bob by knocking up fleece garments. Easy enough to do with domestic kit. I did several pairs of Yeti gaiter variations. All the fabrics are out there so its really limited to your ambitions. Nowadays I am limited to modifying things like trousers as I can’t stand anything that flaps about in the wind. Old hand cranked Singer sewing machines, by the way, will punch through thick fabrics so rucksacks etc are possible.

cubist
    Free Member

I once poked arm holes in a bin bag at a rave in Oxfordshire somewhere and used it as a coat because it was raining. Does that count?

kayak23

Found a dear skinned it made a lovely coat,

Poor old lady 😯

Stoner
    Free Member

I made a pertex and down double duvet for a lightweight cycle tour with the Missus.

Have also made some custom canvas bags for the same trip.

Its made easier having a mum with some industrial sewing machines incl an overlocker.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

I have thought about making some of my own stuff but by the time you add up all the costs to get fabric, zips, seam sealing etc etc it just doesn’t seem make economic sense. Off course there is the “I made it” factor which is cool in it self.

gummikuh

Some of the slippery waterproof fabrics can be tricky to work with according to Mrs Gummikuh. It helps to understand fabric, what bias cutting means, stretchy stuff is hard work. Cost is something and like anything hand made and a one off it will seem expensive, the reason garments made overseas are so much cheaper is they can buy the zips and buckles etc. in bulk. Having said that if done properly the garment should fit perfectly and be exactly what you want.
    There are loads of patterns out there, get yourself along to John Lewis and read the pattern books.
    When I was a squaddie we were always modifying our field smocks and adding extra inner pockets, hoods and para cuffs, we did make use of the camp tailor as she was brilliant. She repaired bergens and webbing, nothing seemed to be beyond her skills.

stevied
    Free Member
    Esme
    Free Member

I’ve made loads of outdoor stuff over the years, ranging from a spraydeck for an open canoe, to fleece-lined paddle mitts.

I enjoy designing and making stuff, although it can work out rather expensive, once you add in the cost of chunky zips, etc. The main benefit is to produce something made-to-measure, and not available commercially.

That said, polar fleece is very easy to work with, on a domestic sewing machine. So maybe start off making hats, scarves, buffs, etc. You don’t even need to buy commercial patterns, just copy existing garments, drawn onto a sheet of newspaper.

thecaptain
    Free Member

My wife makes just about all our clothes, it’s not usually cheaper than off the peg but fits a lot better! Getting hold of technical fabrics can be tricky.

vondally
    Free Member

These folk not any good?

fabrics

Just curious and intrigued…. 😕 Maybe

alexxx
    Free Member

thecaptain – My wife makes just about all our clothes…

Haha sorry! I would love to see pictures though for inspiration!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ever made their own outdoor clothes?’ is closed to new replies.