• This topic has 27 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by fossy.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Anyone done the Tour de Manc?
  • IHN

This popped up on my FB feed yesterday, and I’m half-arsedly looking out for an event to train towards so I’m potentially interested as it’s not miles away (although it does start and finish in the godless wasteland that is *gulp* North Manchester)

Anyone done it, any good?

The Ride

crazy-legs

It’s a terrible route. It’s basically like a commute through a city. Countless red lights, busy and shit roads.

Somehow it’s got some good marketing behind it and the whole “it goes through all the boroughs of Manchester” thing (which in itself is one very good reason NOT to do it, I’d have thought…)

I’ve seen it a couple of times, a loose straggle of riders trying to get up the main road out of Marple Bridge to Romiley which is a thoroughly unpleasant climb on a busy narrow road and just marvelled that anyone could enjoy it.

Yet it seems to get a good entry every year. 🤷🏻‍♂️

IHN

Ah, maybe I’ll give it a miss then…

richardkennerley

How about this instead? Ronde van calderdale

kt360
    Free Member

Considering it for next year as friends enjoyed it but last year did the Tour of Cambridge 100 mile. Surprisingly hilly for such a generally flat location and the roads were all fully closed to car traffic which made riding en-mass a lot more pleasant. Party atmosphere in a lot of the villages we passed through with locals out having BBQ’s, beers and generally cheering the riders past.

MrSparkle

I know that they aren’t brilliant at shifting the signs after the event is over. Also they don’t like people pointing this out to them on Twitter.

fossy

@crazy-legs The climb out of Compstall is OK – it’s possibly not as bad as some other areas for riding – it’s possibly quite tough, but I’m local so used to it. I can’t imagine the route is that good though.

nbt

I’ve got a gpx of the route somewhere.

Shame the Ronde van Chinley isn’t running any more, that was a good ride

Garry_Lager

I think I’d enjoy that route just for local interest, but yeah looks like a seriously suburban parcours. You’d be stopped at red lights half the way around, like a mega-commute.

This looks like the route:

Tour de Manc

The Cheshire cobbled classic is an excellent route, and starts from Lyme park. But felt like it was on its arse when I did it a few years back,  really poor turnout. Was also on a very unseasonal date iirc, like late May for the cobbles.

IHN

starts from Lyme park

That would certainly be handy…

crazy-legs

Shame the Ronde van Chinley isn’t running any more, that was a good ride

Yeah, Ronde van Chinley is worth doing. Short but a lot of hills, small bits of gravel/cobbles and a nice area. I’ve got the gpx of it if you’re interested in that @IHN ? Starts in Chinley, edge of the Peak District SE of Manchester.

BadlyWiredDog

Maybe take a look at the Tour of the Peak? I did it years ago – I assume it was the same as the current one, it has the same name anyway – and it takes in some lovely roads.

The Ronde van Chinley’s a nice route too, but sadly sacked off after people kept trying to kill themselves on twisty backroad descents 🙁

IHN

Looks like the Cheshire Cobbled Classic is no more, I’ll do a bit more Googling to see if I can find the route though.

I’ll deffo do the Ronde van Chinley route at some point, as it’s local (I’m in Disley) I’ve found it on RideWithGPS.

Tour of the Peak is a good shout, as is, possibly, the Cheshire Cat, but the latter is in Aoril which might be a little too soon for my legs…

Garry_Lager

This is the 100 k cobbled route – very good and recollect it feeling fairly hard.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1031443004

I’ve done the Cheshire cat medium route and thought the route was OK – good event though, many riders. Signature climb up Mow Cop and nice through the hills up to Macc but then it’s just flat Cheshire. Not too difficult so might be a good one to do whilst training for something bigger.

IHN

Cheers, but I can’t see that route Garry, I’m not on Strava (I know, right?). Can you make it public or summink please?

matt_outandabout

What is it about naming an iffy route with some faux French to market it to roadies?

crazy-legs

@IHN – I’ve got a route for Cheshire Cobbled Classic (somewhere…)
    Will pm you once I’m home.

IHN

What is it about naming an iffy route with some faux French to market it to roadies?

To be fair, I think much of the naming is intentionally ironic

I’ve got a route for Cheshire Cobbled Classic (somewhere…)

Amazeballz, ta.

crazy-legs

@IHN (and anyone else who is interested…)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/5570748

Cheshire Cobbled Classic. It does some out and back and some rather contrived looping around in order to go up Swiss Hill (near Alderley Edge). The Corkscrew (that little nub on the route near Rainow) was always there as an optional extra cos that is an out and back. However most of it is a decent little ride.

miky2341

I’ve done the “Big Manc” and the standard one. The first 25 miles are rubbish, there isn’t a good way around the city centre and out towards Stockport that doesn’t involve lots of traffic lights. Once you get tto Marple and come over Werneth Low, it gets loads better. One thing worth mentioning is the aid stations are incredible! Pies, sandwhiches and a multitude of cake I did it one year and it was sponsored by a brewery, it was free beer all afternoon when you get back – great way to waste a way a Sunday! I’ve the GPX files of both routes if anyone eants them.

Garry_Lager

I gave this a whirl at the weekend and thought it was surprisingly good – did the 72 miles route with my wife. Well organised and a decent crowd out.

First bit through the city was fine really as the roads were empty, and then it swung round on a nice anticlockwise route through the hills – Cowlishaw La up Werneth low was the only steepish climb on the route.

Started to hammer rain down the last hour for us, so anyone doing the longer routes would have had a hard second half. There was a really good final descent from Ashworth moor reservoir that looked like it could be pretty fast, but heavy rain and not knowing the road I had to go steady.

fossy

Signed up to do the full Mad Manc this year with a work colleague. Unfortunately, the two road bikes aren’t terribly suitable for 130 miles and 10,000 ft of climbing on 39×26 (both vintage). The CX bike is going to be used with 34×32 or possibly 34×34 if the cassette will fit the 5700 rear mech.

nickc

I’d love to do this, oh no wait, I haven’t got a road bike. what a terrible shame.

fossy

34×34 fitted and works fine. Even did Jenkins Chapel on it a couple of weeks ago – bike goes up walls. Not so sure 9 or 10 hours or so on a bike for 130 miles is a great idea.

nickingsley
    Free Member

Thoughts on Manchester 100 Mile which starts in south Manchester and heads south in to Cheshire. Unsurprisingly the roads are not closed.

https://www.bike-events.co.uk/Ride.aspx?id=2733

fossy

It’s rare roads are ever closed for Sportives – there is maybe two in the UK each year ?

Done this one (Manchester 100) a few times – it’s fine until you get back to Middlewich and hit the 100k ride – that’s usually populated by beginners/charity wobbly bobs, and they are all over the blimmin road. At least with Man 100, you are very quickly out into the countryside – within 20 minutes. Oh and there is no proper feed stations, so take what you need. There is a stop near Nantwich but it’s not free/included in the entry.

nickingsley
    Free Member

Thanks for that @fossy, not the most glowing endorsement, but local so might give it a go.

I assume Ride London is one of the few with closed roads.

fossy

It’s a decent route, but you don’t get anything for the entry fee. It’s relatively flat and a decent route – very little urban stuff, and loads of riders, so you’ll find a group to latch on to.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.