• This topic has 70 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Anyone built a “should be lightweight” bike that comes out heavy???
  • siddy
    Free Member

I’ve just finished my Xc build- was aiming to get a nice lightweight XC, so I got a bunch of XTR gear a light-ish BMC frame and built it up- but it seems heavy to me- wondered if anyone out there may know the culprits in this build???

http://garrysiddon2404.fotopic.net/p58248847.html

BMC frame, Reba Team Fork, Full XTR drivetrain and wheels, Thomson stem and seatpost. Any clues what I should replace anyone?

Anthony
    Free Member

You could loose over 1/2lb on stem, seatpost and saddle.

Trouble is it starts to get expensive, near to £1 per gram saved.

Although very good, the wheels/ tyres aren’t the lightest around either.

njee20
    Free Member

Thomson stem, those wheels are tyres are heavy. There’s nothing on there particularly light, little things add up.

njee20
    Free Member

Get some foam grips, if those are lock-ons you’ll save 100g for £5.

Anthony
    Free Member

Egg-beaters will save 1/4lb for £175 ti versions or 1/2lb for £375 4ti versions!

roddersrambler
    Free Member

What does it weigh ?

dobo
    Free Member

probably the biggest best weight saving and noticable would be by replacing the tubeless tyres for some lighter non tubeless ones

will
    Free Member

Looks fast, surly that is all that matters?

bikerbruce
    Free Member

wheels:no tubes ztr race 7000 on tune mig/mag hubs
    Rear mech :carbon plates and jocky wheels from fibre lyte
    Fork:dt swiss xrc 100 rc
    Grips:foam from decathalon 28g for £3
    tyres:racing ralphs
    Bars,bar end,seatpost and seat post binder:kcnc
    pedals:triple ti egg beaters
    tune speedneedle saddle
    etc.. 😀
    thats what i would do…

Smee
    Free Member

Have a piss and a shit before you go out and save yourself a few quid.

dobo
    Free Member

well that little lot will probably make him remortgage the house 😀

Anthony
    Free Member

Foam Decathalon grips are 1/2 the weight of Ritchey WCS or is that claimed weight(!) or is that each grip?

njee20
    Free Member

Mig/mag aren’t disc hubs, Prince/Princess is where it’s at.

Those bar ends are lighter than KCNC.

Gotta be 4ti Egg Beaters

Furious Freds not RRs

Learn how to be a weigh weenie 🙂

james
    Free Member

How heavy is the frame?

siddy
    Free Member

Frame’s around 1.6kg. I hadn’t realised that the tubeless tyre wheel combo actually cost weight, thought it saved it- show’s what i know…How about the fork- is that weighty? not sure of the all in weight- just ‘feels’ heavy.

Anthony
    Free Member

The Reba Teams are 1636g without pop-lock so you save a chunk there. In fact well over 2lb if you had rigid Pace RC31’s!

njee20
    Free Member

UST tyres and UST rims weighs the same (ish) as normal tyres and normal rims with tubes. Once you start including lightweight tyres run as tubeless on Stan’s rims, the weight falls quite a lot.

Those wheels are c1600g, the tyres c700g each.

Stan’s ZTR Race/AM Classic (extreme example) are 1210g, Schwalbe Rocket Rons are an impressive all rounder and come in <400g. There’s 2 pounds gone straight away…

Like I said, there’s nothing on there that’s heavy per se, just lots that’s not particularly light.

Anthony
    Free Member

By using UST’s you adding at least 1/2lb over their tubed equivalent (taking into account no inner tubes and a bit of latex via a Stan’s type rim)

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Don’t worry about it. You’ll get the fitness to ride it. You could always leave the bike at home and just run along the trails.

tomlevell

Remove bar ends and cut bars down.
    Remove fork remote.
    Remove valve caps.
    Remove computer/Gps bracket.

dobo
    Free Member

oh, and please no more mixing pounds and grams in the same post “cough” njee20 and anthony 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Why not? Some things are measured in metric, some in imperial. Fork steerers are the best, 1.125″x300mm 🙂

Whole bikes are in pounds, most parts are in grammes, nowt wrong with that!

dobo
    Free Member

I’m a simple being and cant do the maffs, should be a weight weenie sticky with this in the title 1 pound = 453.59237 grams

Dibbs
    Free Member

I weighed my Whyte 19 Ti SS on my LBS’s Park scale last week and it came to 21lb 8oz. Which I thought was a bit heavy for a SS but it also makes me think that a lot of the weights people claim bear little resemblance to the truth 🙄

knott4me
    Free Member

yep i built up a gt zaskar team 27lb.

grumm
    Free Member

Does all this not just show that its really not worth worrying about?

zaskar
    Free Member

LOL@Smee!

I built my Zaskar uber light. Rode like trollup! Carbon bits took out the sting.

Now I’m heavy from taking a break.

Rebuilt it burly and it rides nice. Best thing I can do is lose 10kg lard!

A friend still canes me on his 70’s road bike-all about the rider?

MTT
    Free Member

as above;

– Wheels have to go, it doesnt matter much about the static weight of the bike, its all about the rims and the tyres.
    – Target cheap savings; Foam grips, Toupe Ti/SLR, KCNC seatpost, syntace/ritchey stem, KMC X9SL chain, so £200 and 1.5lbs ish off.
    – Or £500 on some stans on spaim lasers (dont bother with CXRays), AM classic hubs and some nice 400-450g tyres. -2lbs.

to put it another way; £700=3.5-4lbs

Just loose a bit of weight and put on some legs. Seriously.

aP
    Free Member

None of my bikes are as light as I thought they were going to be.
    I was really disturbed at quite how heavy my bmc cross bike is, until I realised that to start with the wheels were 1900gms.

Lanesra
    Free Member

Has anywon mentioned lose some weight from yourself

aP
    Free Member

Someone at the top did, but when it’s cost so much to put it on it seems a shame not to keep it.

Anthony
    Free Member

Dibb’s, just to make you feel bad, the actual weight (when the frame arrives) of my Cotic Simple S/S will be 17lb 10-14oz (depending on exact frame weight) exc. pedals and tyre latex.

And thats with sensible wheels and nothing out the ordinary spec wise.

james
    Free Member

Antony: Is that with a rigid fork as well as a lack of gears though?

james
    Free Member

Anthony
    Free Member

Rough Spec;

Cotic Simple frame
    RC31 carbon rigid fork
    Olympic on King with Revolution spokes (brass nipples)
    Racing Ralphs
    XTR cranks, steel c-ring and cog
    Hope Mini X2 Pro’s 160’s
    SLR saddle on carbon Alien post.
    EC90 bars EA90 stem

I have an anal spreadsheet with all the actual weights of all the components!

All sensible kit, but I only weigh 65kg so I’m not especially harsh on my kit.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Anthony that doesn’t make me feel too bad after all your forks are the best part of 2lb lighter than mine and you’ve still got pedals to add plus I’ve got pretty heavy tyres, but I’ve spec’d stuff that I know works for me and is comfy.

Anthony
    Free Member

Yeah, and iirc you have about 4 other Whytes in the stable to choose from 🙂

For the first time I have really made the effort to spec. light parts instead of what looks ace. Unfortunately it does make you a little obsessive, and once it’s covered in mud it won’t make much difference anyway!

Can’t wait to ride it.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

My Turner Burner weighs far to much, I thought it would be around 25Lbs, nearer 28 🙁

On the plus side this has inspired me to make my Ti hardtail SS & rigid again, I still doubt it will be sub 20Lbs with very light kit though.

Or here if fotopic have messed with the settings again.

druidh
    Free Member

It’s been said already, but a lot of bike manufacturers are outright liars when it comes to weights.

gee
    Free Member

V Heavy wheels and tyres.

Go with Stans / normal tyres and spooge.

GB

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Anyone built a “should be lightweight” bike that comes out heavy???’ is closed to new replies.