Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone bought or ridden the new Giant Trance 27.5?
  • pbooker1995
    Free Member

As above.

Liking the look of the trance 1 or the advanced 1. I test ride the 2 which was nice but just wondered if anyone had ridden the one, or felt the weight of it.

The advanced 1 comes in around 25.85 lbs according to bike radar.

deviant
    Free Member

Bought the frameset a few weeks ago in aluminium, it’s light even in metal.
    I’ve built mine up with the 150mm Revs and the 2×9 system that came off my On-One 45650b as that’s what I had laying around at the time.

Over the winter I’ll probably get some 160mm Pikes and switch to 10-speed.

I haven’t weighed mine yet but it feels lighter than the steel hardtail I butchered for parts and lighter than the last FS I owned (Saracen Ariel) so I’m very pleased.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Thanks Deviant.

Does it ride nice? Id be coming from a Spesh Enduro Expert 29 so just looking for something a little more playful and a little cheaper to maintain.

deviant
    Free Member

The Enduro-29 is Steve Jones/Dirt magazine’s current bike of choice, haven’t ridden one myself but I gather they’re virtually unstoppable downhill.
    The Trance has potential to be hard hitting with some 160mm forks on the front or more trail orientated in standard 140mm guise….I see it as two bikes in one which is why I’m going to get some 160mm forks and the get the Revs reduced to 140mm, then I’ll just swap between the two front ends depending on what I’m riding…. I don’t rate travel adjust forks, I think they’re neither fish nor fowl even though Giant offer one version with 140/160 adjustable forks.

JCL
    Free Member

They’re a great bike but don’t think they are anymore playful than a E29. That’s quite a fun bike IMO.

Maintenance wise, they both have the exact same number of pivots, suspension parts and components so I fail to see the gain there.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

The gain im looking for is having a little more money in my pocket. I can get the trance on a very good deal hence the thinking of changing.

Would it be a bad choice/a step backwards?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Interesting to hear feedback as I have a friend considering one

Over the winter I’ll probably get some 160mm Pikes

@deviant
    – interesting choice

SirHC

Also considering replacing my Mega TR with a trance, anyone know the frame weight ?

timnwild

Not sure of the weight – but I LOVE my new Trance 1 27.5. Good things – feels light and really easy to move around, climbs much better than I was expecting (it’s my first full-suss and the few I’ve tried before felt heavy in the climbs). The drivetrain, brakes and suspension have been great so far, it’s easier to clean than I thought too.

Niggles – the dropper cable seems to have snagged somewhere in the seattube, the chain guide is really cheaply made and the saddle mount on the top of the dropper is proprietary, and also kinda cheap – it shifted a lot under weight when I wasn’t expecting it.

But you can get a 2014 Trance 1 for around £1600 if you poke around, and that’s a lot of bike for the money. Forks and shock alone must be the lion’s share of a grand on their own.

Biggest joy is the geometry – it just feels great to ride, right out of the box.

FactoryPhil

Sir HC, medium frame with headset cups, rear axle and seatclamp weighed 6.12lb on my digital kitchen scales.
    Very light for a 140mm alu frame I thought.

Phil

karlwoof
    Free Member

Yup got a trance 2 and absolutely love it! Rides well and has stood up to a fair amount of abuse so far.

SirHC

FactoryPhil, guessing thats frame only.

Comparing the Trance to the Trance SX, frame appears to be identical, except for the monarch plus. Will be buying frame only, as would all of the stock parts away! Been looking at the Bird Aeris, Transition Patrol/Scout. Have had a quick ride of a trance, need to find somewhere to have an extended test.

garage-dweller

Holy thread resurrection batman…

How are you getting on with your 2015 stances?

The entry level Trance 4 is looking like a good purchase it, batter it, upgrade as it wears out option at the moment.

Interested to hear views from riders that are heavier 85kg+

Also anyone know eye to eye for rear shock is it (fingers crossed) 200-50 as I have a spare float r kicking about that’s only a few rides old.

Main use if relevant would be bashing round trail centres, 2 hour evening rides and odd trips away to proper hills for winch and plummet (my idea of plummet being limited by my mediocre skills)

deviant
    Free Member

I’m 90kg, it was fine with me on it!

Currently in pieces waiting for spring, I ordered 160mm X-Fusion Sweeps in the end and sold the Revs, decided to keep the HT for flatter stuff and climbing, the Trance is for high days and holidays…may do the odd Enduro on it.

The shock is 200 x 51 so yours would fit but may result in a small amount of lost travel due to the 1mm shorter stroke.

The entry level Trance uses the same frame as all the others including the flagship 160mm forked Trance SX…so is a great place to start and then upgrade as you go.

cookci
    Free Member

Trace 1 2014 is £1399.99 from winstanley bikes… just bought one.

I’ve not ridden it yet though but it looks awesome and for a medium came in at 13.43KG (no pedals) which isn’t bad for a 29er with a dropper

renton
    Free Member

1399 is for the older 29er trance not the new for 2014 27.5 version.

You have probably seen my thread about my 2015 27.5 2.

At the moment its a bit of a mixed bag for me to be honest. Sometimes it feels good, sometimes it feels rubbish.

There is far to much movement in the back end if you are over 80kgs as that’s what weight the shock is tuned for.

My fox shock has blown so it’s off to mojo tomorrow for some warranty work a d they are going to custom tune it for my weight and riding style too.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone bought or ridden the new Giant Trance 27.5?’ is closed to new replies.