Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Anyone beat -17C?
  • Smee
    Free Member

Brrrrrrrr. Not entirely sure how accurate the thermometer on the car is though, but it's **** freezing.

5thElefant
    Free Member

-8 in Cheltenham. Cheltenfuckingham!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

doesnt matter – you werent riding in it if you were in the car

had varying temps from this morning starting at -8 going to -11 from the folk driving into work when i rode in past them 😀

bananaworld
    Free Member

My freezer's at -18ºC so 😛

StirlingCrispin

I've ridden my bike when it was -18C (while living in the US) and it was one of the most uncomfortable experiences of my life.

A toasty -9C here in Stirling today.

baldSpot
    Free Member

-25 Stockholm

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

-12 on the drive and -14 by the time i got to work in carlisle.

I have ridden up crossfell from garrigill before when it was -10 in the car park. Strangely due to the cloud inversion, we were able to wear t shirts on the top of crossfell but had hypothermia descending back down. We are talking eye lids frozen and unable to speak 🙁

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Only -9 in 7am in balmy/barmy Somerset; it's probably record.

drain

Hey Buzz, it was -12 in Bruton at 8.30 this morning (-11 here in Lamyatt). Not as cold as Wiltshire last February but still reet parky!

rOcKeTdOg

A tropical -7 in the NW Alps this morning

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"-12 in Bruton at 8.30"

Wow that's really getting there

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

When I was at school, a pal's dad worked at Rolls Royce in Hucknall, Notts. They had an open day that was for friends and families only and I went along. They had a massive big freeser (Think small hanger) for testing engines and parts in low temps, which you could go in and walk round for a bit. I was in there maybe 10-20 seconds and my jeans froze up.

The digital display said -48c IIRC, and that was with the door open…..
    🙂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Thermometer was saying -9c earlier on in the 'grange.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No idea – not been in the car since the snow came (stuck on our lane and my attempt at digging it out failed) and quite enjoying walking everywhere. But it was certainly colder today than it has been. I guess -49c.

Probably.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

-10 here in Sale du la mer at 0630.brrrr

cxi
    Free Member

-11 on the Cheshire / Staffordshire border this morning.

kpt1972
    Free Member

Currently -16 in work in Newtown,Powys.

pegasus
    Free Member

-13 here in the Cambrians, flippin' heck

crazy-legs

-10 in New Mills this morning but that has it's own little micro-climate cos it's down in a bit of a dip.
    Riding home last night was weird – it was about -3 according to my cycle computer (this was in/around Manchester) but there were little patches where it was noticeably colder, down in dips or coming out of the woods etc.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

According to the weather on Hotmail its -13C in Peebles.

dyna-ti

-8 last night in Glasgow

giant_scum
    Free Member

http://www.scottishweather.net/wxglobal.php

Check on the above link for your nearest weather station, updated every 5 minutes I think!

mtbfix

It was recorded at -18.4 at RAF Benson, just up the road from us.

skidartist
    Free Member

-14 here in Ayrshire, out in my slippers with a digital thermometer, very still though so it doesn't feel all that cold. I was expecting lower as we've been regularly measuring -12 when the forcast was -5.

I was in there maybe 10-20 seconds and my jeans froze up.

I used to make big (half ton and more) cast ice sculptures, we'd make moulds and take them to big refrigerated warehouse to freeze them. We were working on one during a really hot july, +30 degrees outside -25 degrees inside. We had mould set up and were packing up to leave when I decided to run back in one last time and check everything, couldn't be bothered getting kitted up again so just ran back inside in shorts and sweaty cotton tshirt. Our stuff was at the far end of the warehouse, so my clothes were going stiff before I'd even reached it. Checked everything, ran back to the door and pulled the chain to open it and for about 5 seconds it jammed, motors making a 'going to burn out and fuse everything' sound. My life flashed before my eyes I can tell you.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Cold enough to freeze snow apparently…

69er_Gav
    Free Member

-18 here in Biggar, South Lanarkshire. That was 3 hours ago, now -16.

WhatafackinLiberty
    Free Member

-13 At Da Peel Big G 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

-11 when I left Kilmarnock at 7:30 this morning, warmed up to -10 in Glasgow.

Where abouts in Ayrshire are you skidartist?

Bunnyhop

Hubby left here on his bike at -13 this morning, his winter gloves were of little use. Also his lights were failing, as the batteries couldn't cope with the low temperature.
    Brrrrr.

MussEd
    Free Member

Now we're competing over who lives in the coldest bit of Britain? Right I'm setting the alarm for 3am and gonna take the thermometer down the beach!

boblo
    Free Member

A few years ago I slept in the local Christian Salveson freezer at -27c to 'test' some cold weather kit before an expedition… Blatant copy of Chris Bonners and his mates but made for good telly and got our sponsors some airtime.

BTW, is the answer 18000? 🙂

grizzer
    Free Member

Might be cold now but during the 81-82 big freeze it was -27 in buxton!

Pigface
    Free Member

Rode bikes all through the winter in Finland coldest was -38. As long as you are wrapped up it was fine ish. Had to stop halfway home at the 24hr garage to thaw out on the coldest night. Had thermals on and trousers and then overtrousers and the only bit that got really cold was the front of your thighs. Weirdest bit was my mates bike had 3 spokes just snap it was so cold.

Goz
    Free Member

-10 this morning, -6 a few momments ago in Gloucester.

ps44
    Free Member

-15C this morning in South Warwickshire, -10C when I got back in just now.

mboy
    Free Member

Did a week snowboarding in Val D'Isere about 10 years ago, warmest it got all week was about -18c, the coldest day was between -30c and -33c all day long!

And on that coldest day, there was a bit of a storm for an hour or so too, we were on a chairlift when it started and the winds picked up to what I'm reliably told was approximately a 30 degree windchill factor! So it was like being in -60c ambient!!!

Fortunately we weren't far from a mountain restaurant, so we got there as quickly as possible and had a lengthy lunch waiting for the storm to pass…

The upside to the seriously cold temperatures was the every morning for the entire week there was fresh powder snow everywhere… One morning there was over 15" of virgin snow greeting us!

Coldest I've been in the UK though was about -15… Don't think it's been colder than -8c here in Worcester at all today.

skidartist
    Free Member

Where abouts in Ayrshire are you skidartist?

The sleepy hamlet of Sorn, but shhh, nobody knows it exists. Ayrshire is rubbish everybody! Do you hear that, its shit!

I had to practically kick my workshop door down today, the walls/roof are black so when theres a bit of sun the snow melts, runs down the door jams, which aren't black, where it freezes again

Having kicked it open I immediately regretted it, as theres not really a way of kicking it shut again from the outside. Took me the best part of an hour doing ice-joinery with a pickaxe to get it closed and locked up again. Will probably need to fit a new one if I open it again before the thaw.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

It was -16.5 here in Mid-Wales this morning at 9am.
    At 5pm this evening it was -9, so I would imagine it is going to drop very low again tonight.

Normally don't mind the cold, but it was just painful! Eyelashes froze up and up my nose.

ps44
    Free Member

When I got in my wife said the back door had frozen up. Not that I wanted any mind.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

It has dipped to -18 and predicted -20 here in the scottish highlands….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Anyone beat -17C?’ is closed to new replies.