Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone an instructor in the ACF? (Army Cadets)
  • peterno51

Mini No51 joined before Christmas and now has full uniform and I’m now being pestered to become an instructor. Anyone got any experience of this?
    It looks like it could turn out to be massively rewarding but also need to remind myself that it’s for the kids and not just my guilty desire to have a snazzy uniform too.

timbog160

I don’t but I was in the Air Cadets for a number of years and enjoyed it massively – much more interesting than Scouts who only ever seemed to play football which I hate.

I imagine it could be very rewarding but doubt they have much call for accountancy instruction!

beanieripper
    Free Member

Never been an instructor but as a kid who was naughty at school Cadets was a lifeline for me. Taught me so much and I have of great memories being ambushed by the TA at 1am on longmoor camp. Sgt Salmon wherever he is influenced me hugely.

peterno51

Timbog, if you have already been in then I think you are already there, not sure my day job would be massively useful either, just a willingness to get stuck in!

MoreCashThanDash

I work with a county level ACF big wig and another young lad who’s just joined us is also an instructor*. Both great guys, and presumably the ACF is making the most of their surveying and former estate agent skills.

As a Guiding and Scouting family, yes it is rewarding, but will take a lot of time. I don’t know if the military aspect of ACF might reduce the petty politics that can be an irritant.

*Affectionately known as Captain Mainwaring and Sergeant Wilson

peterno51

Thank mctd,

I’m kind of hoping that it would be a bit more crack on with stuff than dithering around hand wringing.

SaxonRider

I have had two of my boys go through cadets, the second of whom is still in as a corporal. Both have found the whole experience extremely rewarding.

I have been asked to be an instructor, but unfortunately have less than no time to give. If I did, though, I would sign up in a heartbeat.

franksinatra

I was an officer in air cadets for about 10 years, i left about 5 years ago. Before that I was a cadet for 8 years.

Good bits
    Amazing experiences that you simply would never have anywhere else
    Awesome, inspiring kids
    Brilliant skills that employers love
    Loads of qualifications, I got my Mountain Leader and Mountain Bike Leader awards through cadets as instructor
    Friends that you will have for life

Bad bits
    It takes a lot of time and commitment
    Some of the staff will be idiots
    Politics, the more senior you are the harder it is to avoid

Go for it though, you will be a better person for doing it

MoreCashThanDash

Had a chat with young Sergeant Wilson today on the back of this thread.

He said the paperwork/risk assessment side of things is hard going.

This morning he got a message that there had been evidence a former leader had been inappropriate with some of the kids, he reckons that’s most of his weekend gone. But Thursday he’s taking his unit to act as rioters in a Police public order training exercise.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone an instructor in the ACF? (Army Cadets)’ is closed to new replies.