Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Anybody else follow a Paleo lifestyle?
  • schmiken

The wife and I have been following a Paleo diet for the last five weeks or so and feel better for it. Just wondering if anybody (racing or otherwise) has done it longterm?

I can’t see us changing back now!

roper
    Free Member

sits back and opens vegan biscuits. 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Does Waitrose stock mammoth meat?

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol.. yeah I follow a paeleo lifestyle. I hunt and gather all my own food, I live in a cave and as I approach my late 30s I’m expecting to die soon. Maybe as I get slower I’ll be gored by a mammoth.

dave360

Sounds good, but what’s wrong with potatoes?

wrecker
    Free Member

Lifestyle? It’s a diet.
    I did it for a while. It was pretty good but I’m convinced that most benefits came from having to cook fresh, which we should do anyway.

duntstick
    Free Member

Which are the bugs of choice,do you forage for them yourself, or are you just being trendy?

nealglover
    Free Member

Experts took issue with the diet on every measure. [/B]Regardless of the goal—weight loss, heart health, or finding a diet that’s easy to follow—most experts concluded that it would be better for dieters to look elsewhere.

Sounds great.

Where do I sign up.

footflaps

and as I approach my late 30s I’m expecting to die soon

You lasted that long in Western Europe? You must be cheating……

molgrips
    Free Member

I think the diet is pretty decent – I dunno why experts would take issue with it nutritionally. Maybe on sustainability terms, it does take some effort at first, and may be difficult for many long term simply because of the number of things you can’t have that are ‘normal’.

Actually, come to think of it, I do remember reading about this. A lot of paeleo advocates are saying you have to eat loads of meat, which isn’t that good for you. That’s not really necessary at all, I think the authors of some books have just created this strong animal caveman thing and filled the diet with meat to appeal to the macho gym goer types. Anyone can hijack this and write a dodgy book with the name paeleo in the title and there’s no-one to defend the original idea.

I do take issue with the idea that it must be perfect for us because it’s what our ancestors ate though. That idea’s full of holes, even if it does end up broadly resulting in decent diet. This might even be coincidence.

nealglover
    Free Member

I think the diet is pretty decent – I dunno why experts would take issue with it

Me neither as I didn’t read the full report.

But as that was the Synopsis.

I didn’t feel the need to find out to be honest.

“On every measure” seemed fairly comprehensive.

It was ranked last and joint last in two separate studies of 20+ diets involving 20+ expert opinions.

molgrips
    Free Member

See my edit – since the diet’s not copyrighted, it seems to have been hijacked by dodgy book floggers.

footflaps

Most of the vegetables we grow didn’t exist in Paleo times, they’ve been created through selective breading. I suspect it’s almost impossible to find any authentic Paleo vegetable species now.

molgrips
    Free Member

The no gluten thing is a bit off – there’s evidence in many places that they did eat wild grasses with gluten in in some places (althougn not in the quantities we do now), and there are also many wild legumes they’d have eaten.

Footflaps – plenty of authentic fruit round my way, they are called crab apples. Tuck in! 🙂

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

I do follow something close to it, yes, because of Crohns disease and coeliac, I found it the best way to manage the condition. I’m not a slave to the dogma though – I did give up all grains for a while, but I eat white rice now sometimes and also use gluten free tamari soy sauce and miso in cooking, because I refuse to pay £7 for a bottle of coconut aminos, and I also figure the Asians do pretty well with rice and fermented soy – lowest incidence of crohns/colitis, heart disease, obesity etc in areas where they follow traditional diets.

I found the biggest benefit probably came from giving up processed stuff, cooking from scratch, and eliminating dairy, but an awful lot of people with coeliac disease have a lactose intolerance so no big surprise there.

Mol makes a good point that nutritionally, it’s a pretty sound diet, but that the “ancestral” claims are dubious. What your ancestors ate depends very much on your genetic makeup, and that’s down to the individual. It has also been hijacked by the “body beautiful” types somewhat, which can be offputting, but for people with certain health conditions I think it can make a lot of sense.

wwaswas

they’ve been created through selective breading

Modern foods are the result of people using their loaf?

schmiken

It seems to work for me, after reading the Paleo Diet for Athletes. Less bloating, faster recovery and generally feeling better. Raced the Thetford Summer Enduro to third place with no issues on Sunday too.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Have a read around here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com for lots of considered discussions… rather than knee jerk, arm chair experts. 😀

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

One thing I couldn’t do was “fat adapt” though. I couldn’t break away from using gels on long rides – tried the Paleo recommendations of dried fruit, nuts etc, didn’t work, nothing puts the power in my legs like maltodextrin, fructose and a pinch of caffeine!

schmiken

I hit ketosis about a week ago, had a huge energy crash. I still use gels and energy drinks for racing, but keep to real foods for training.

epicyclo

Paleo diet?

What’s that? I’m sure our paleo ancestors would have been eating a lot of small creatures like insects, rats etc and all raw. Sounds pretty revolting to me.

gwaelod
    Free Member

surprised no one has posted that link to the Ted talk on the Paleo Diet by that Anthropologist

wwaswas

I do like the fact that the OP follows the diet right up to the point where he needs a reliable source of energy and then switches to the most scientific/manufactured foodstuffs available.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I reckon Cavemen probably ate anything they could get their hands on.

Cutting down on starch and sugar sounds like Atkins or dukan. Only with marketing to sell it to ray mears fans.

Personally I’m in the school that says removing a whole food group is a bit pointless, barring medical reasons. Carbs are cheap. Fats are essential, including saturated fat. Protein also essential.

zilog6128

Me neither as I didn’t read the full report.

But as that was the Synopsis.

I didn’t feel the need to find out to be honest.
    I suppose ignorantly commenting without knowing any basic facts is the STW way so you can be forgiven.

The problem with the US News “report” is that it is completely taken out of context. When they say

most experts concluded that it would be better for dieters to look elsewhere

this is because paleo is not a “diet” in the sense of OK magazine fads/crash weight loss exercises – it is a healthy lifestyle so yes, if you are after quick weight loss, I’m sure you would be better off to “look elsewhere”.

Lifestyle? It’s a diet.

Again, no. The diet is important but it is so much more than this, it is about reducing stress, exercising properly, enjoying life and overall health as much as it is about improving your diet.

edit: IMO the “paleo” label is/was a big mistake as it just makes people focus on whatever caveman may or may not have done, which is obviously pretty irrelevant.

bencooper
    Free Member

Our ancestors were all dead from various tongs by the time they were 40 – so the long-term health effects of their diet weren’t really tested. Frankly they could have been eating cheeseburgers all day and it wouldn’t have had much effect on their mortality.

In fact they probably were, which explains why cheeseburgers are so popular now – we evolved to like that kind of food.

footflaps

Raced the Thetford Summer Enduro to third place with no issues on Sunday too.

I’m not sure what conclusion you think you can draw from this? Eg You may have done much better had you been on a different diet / lifestyle scheme.

gwaelod
    Free Member

These Paleozoic diets – how do they work cos it must be a bugger to get hold of Trilobites for a stew.

wrecker
    Free Member

Again, no. The diet is important but it is so much more than this, it is about reducing stress, exercising properly and enjoying life as much as it is about improving your diet.

Umm. No. A healthy lifestyle is not exclusive to those following a paleo diet. It’s just a healthy lifestyle, which can and is combined with any diet.

duntstick
    Free Member

oddjob
    Free Member

Been paleo for 2 years or so after about a year of the slow carb diet.

For me it’s perfect. we ditched processed food and cook danmed near everything from scratch.

It is more of a lifestyle though as you need to commit to cooking more and then its’ hard not to get drawn into the rest of the it like making sure you sleep enough and get enough sun for vitamin D etc etc

Makes me happy and the family feel much better on it. (another +ve is that my hayfever has gone)

zilog6128

A healthy lifestyle is not exclusive to those following a paleo diet.

Obviously not. I’m not sure why you think I wrote that. I’m saying that “paleo” is not just about what you eat.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

(another +ve is that my hayfever has gone)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

gonefishin
    Free Member

we ditched processed food and cook danmed near everything from scratch

That’s just called cooking though isn’t it.

hard not to get drawn into the rest of the it like making sure you sleep enough and get enough sun for vitamin D etc etc

Seriously, you needed a “lifestyle” to tell you that getting enough sleep and enough sunlight is a good idea?

(another +ve is that my hayfever has gone)

I’ve not had any hayfever for the last two years either, although I’ve been putting that down to the rubbish weather we’ve had the last few years.

wwaswas

I’m saying that “paleo” is not just about what you eat.

equally, a lot of other issues that people have are ‘lifestyle’ and not diet related. ‘getting enough sleep’ is likely to improve anyones health, with no change to other aspects of their life.

wrecker
    Free Member

I know you didn’t. The “paleo” bit is the diet. The rest is being healthy.
    My point is that if I (and quite a few others on here) were to go “paleo”, the only thing which would change is what I eat.
    As I said; I quite liked it. I don’t do it strictly any more, the main thing I took from it is don’t eat bread.

zilog6128

Seriously, you needed a “lifestyle” to tell you that getting enough sleep and enough sunlight is a good idea?

You’ve got to love it. Someone mentions a positive change that they’ve made to their lives, and someone else has to be a bell-end and put them down.

In case you haven’t realised, yes there are a lot of people who work too much, don’t get enough sleep and could do with being outside more.

My point is that if I (and quite a few others on here) were to go “paleo”, the only thing which would change is what I eat.

Good for you! If only everyone could be as healthy.

wrecker
    Free Member

Hey, I’m not bashing it!

gonefishin
    Free Member

In case you haven’t realised, yes there are a lot of people who work too much, don’t get enough sleep and could do with being outside more.

Of course I do, I’ve been one of them for the last few years. But I still don’t need some piece of lifestyle marketing to tell me what is right and what is wrong.

Make all the postive changes you can to your lifestyle. Eat more veg, get more exercise, good for you. Just don’t wrap it up in new age marketing nonsense about a “diet” or “lifestyle” that does not, and never has existed in that form.

wwaswas

Make all the postive changes you can to your lifestyle. Eat more veg, get more exercise, good for you. Just don’t wrap it up in new age marketing nonsense about a “diet” or “lifestyle” that does not, and never has existed in that form.

this.

The individual changes aren’t what grate – it’s the evangelism.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Anybody else follow a Paleo lifestyle?’ is closed to new replies.