Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Any Tips for Highly Polished Steel (Mirror Finish)
  • mikehopkins
    Free Member

I know the basics, such as;
    start with coarse 150ish
    work your way to 1500-2000 grain
    and T CUT

Any trade tips?

Thinking about rawing some bike parts (sorry meant to put this on chat forum)

stu1972
    Free Member

You’ll need to use a polishing compound or soap bar as there known.

Bench grinder with coarse buffing wheel and general compound then fine wheel mop with a finer grade compound.

You will never get a mirror finish with the method you have described however it’ll be ok for removing the paint & flatting down.

There’s some good starter kits for various metals on http://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk

You could always go ghetto and use an electric drill with an arbour for the mop.

make sure you wear a face mask & goggles!!!!

Good luck

Stu

Macavity
    Free Member

http://www.framebuilderscollective.org/polishing-stainless-mcculloch/

Polished stainless steel will stay shiny, but polished steel…..?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Just polishing an Ally frame at the moment – above all else – patience, lots of patience. It’s really satisfying when you have worked through the compounds and finally get something really gleaming (tested the process on an old Ally bar and it came up a treat). The frame is another game – lots of fiddly bits to reach. Never tried steel -good luck and post some pics.

stu1972
    Free Member

Polished steel will have to be lacquered. Period.

If I was going to do it, I’d do the aforementioned then put 3-4 laquer coats down before cutting back with G4 cutting compound.

mikehopkins
    Free Member

Polished up my old steel lockring. Used to look like this…

Looks nice ‘n’ cool on my hope hub, no alloy for me. 🙂
    Did it with 1200p grain wet and dry, a buffer and some T-CUT

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Any Tips for Highly Polished Steel (Mirror Finish)’ is closed to new replies.