Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • Any tips for going teetotal?
  • philjunior
    Free Member

I’ve only ever given up booze for lent (it was probably worth it at the time – I was a student and hadn’t realised I had a constant hangover until this point).

That said, if I’ve just done a load of exercise/hard physical work, I always try and rehydrate properly before I hit the booze – having nice non-alcoholic drinks helps with this, and I would imagine will help with cutting back/eliminating booze altogether (I still used to go out when I gave up the drink as a student, just would drink juice/coke).

alaslas
    Free Member

2 points:

1. Alcoholfrei Erdinger has many fewer calories than alcoholic beer or wine, so don’t worry about the calories. It’s much better for you than a sugary drink or alcohol.

2. Try to substitute a meaningful activity for a night on the drink. E.g. a night ride instead of a bottle of wine.

MrOvershoot

alaslas – Member
    Try to substitute a meaningful activity for a night on the drink. E.g. a night ride instead of a bottle of wine.

This has been a bonus, last night apart from taking the decorations down & 45 minutes on the spinning bike, I also sorted out the house insurance covering all my bikes for their full value & saving £500 at the same time 😀

silverneedle
    Free Member

accupressure worked for me. Like flicking a switch.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

A quick Google of “accupressure” doesn’t seem to link it to cutting out drinking. Can you explain how it helped?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Coke Life tastes pretty good, about a halfway house between the sugary sludge that is full fat and watery nonsense that is diet.

silverneedle
    Free Member

Its how i experienced it i was trying to cut out drinking, years ago, was still craving it then went for acupressure treatment and stopped craving To be precise it was a Japanese Seitai practitioner using pressure points. Perhaps a search for acupressure and addiction would yield something more
    Second the post about LA beer still has alot of calories. Lose some of the benefits of stopping drinking.
    Also having an answer ready to explain why you dont like to drink any more is helpfull. I usually say i used to enjoy it alot but now it just makes me feel rough.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Keep it up mr overshoot!

scandal42
    Free Member

AF Beer tends to have roughly 20cal per 100ml, which is better than most pints.

Luckily for me the calories have never been an issue.

alaslas
    Free Member

For reference: Erdinger AF= 125 kcal per 500 mls. Apple juice= c. 250 kcal.

steve-g
    Free Member

I too am trying to cut down the drinking, and I am also in the “1 is too many, 10 is never enough” camp.

I will always either have none, or wake up at 4am on the sofa fully clothed, literally no moderation or middle ground.

Normally probably drink 3 or 4 days a week, in the past I have hit a good routine of “Saturdays and one other day” each week, this time I am going hard core and will drink at a friends 40th on the 23rd and on no other days in January. Then will review for Feb after that.

I think once a month would be my ultimate goal

Edit: As for tips, Diet ginger beer, that’s my tip

saxabar
    Free Member

Another here who stopped. @Mr Overshoot, if you decide to stop, it WILL get easier and there really is a horizon line where you genuinely won’t miss it. Best change that profile photo too 😉

natrix
    Free Member

Apple juice mixed with fizzy water (about 50:50) is one of my favourites, tastes a bit like acolohol free cider 8)

MrOvershoot

steve-g – Member
    As for tips, Diet ginger beer, that’s my tip

Funnily enough that’s what I was drinking last night (still has that aftertaste though)

saxabar – Member
    @Mr Overshoot
    Best change that profile photo too

Oh yes 😳

singletrackmind

I am going to come out as well.
    I have a problem with alcohol.

She’s a loverly prop, she’s paid the bills for years and kept me company through 20 years of being a singleton. I enjoy her company , the way she seduces me and makes me feel.

To combat this I only drink on Fri and Sat , You see one is never enough .Number 1 leads to number 5 or 6 , spirits or beers or cider in the summer. If I have a ride planned i can abstain and joining a road club with every sunday being a 45miler at 17 – 18mph means proper preperation for me , so decent foood , no booze and an early night .

As its also my career it is impossible for me not to drink. The road club and a few long distance mtb events are enough of a distraction that I can get away with drinking less

I do drink to get smashed though , mostly at home alone , on a friday , but not till 5pm.Cant seem to moderate my intake to just 2 beers though. Rather make a pot of decent Tea and open a packet of shortbread

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

singletrackmind – Don’t give up – the world would be a poorer place without your beer! The barrel you brought to my bedside when I first snapped my foot off was one of the few things that kept me sane. Just about the only thing I could do without MrsWCA help for the first few months as I lay in bed was pour myself a beer. This is why I will always be here for you and help you in any way I can.

In other news, so far I have only chosen to drink on 1 night so far this year. I have lost a few pounds in weight but my skin itches and I get pounding headaches for about 5-10 minutes once or twice a day. Still, I will stick with the reduced intake and see where it takes me.

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Any tips for going teetotal?’ is closed to new replies.