Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any telephone engineers?
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

I need a bit of advice please! I would like a system to allow two people to talk to each other over a distance of about 200 yards. There’s no line of sight and no mobile reception, but we have a multicore signal cable being installed which has a few spare cores to hopefully use for some sort of phone line. Over that distance is a normal phone going to work? Is there any kind of digital system we could use which might not suffer so much from voltage drop?

Cheers!

soma_rich
    Free Member

Do you have WiFi or any kind of internet access? SKYPE?

RustyMac

Is there any kind of digital system we could use which might not suffer so much from voltage drop?

Morse and an air horn????

Mowgli
    Free Member

There is internet at one end but I thought a USB cable/network cable would not work over such a long distance.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Wallis talkie, tin can and string 😉

MrGrim

Cat5e/Cat6, maybe shielded if there’s a chance of interference. Should be OK for about 300ft. Laptop at either end with static addressing between the two.

EDIT – Stick in a repeater between the two if the signal is too weak.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Thought cat5 was allowed a max length of 100m?

sparkyrhino

A couple of old linesman phones with local battery function, both have a battery and can ring either way,check ebay, could get some old millitary style ones.

Cletus

I work with Cisco IP telephony systems. They sell analogue gateways that can support distances in excess of what you are looking at.

The actual distance supported depends upon resistance etc. but the figure they quote is 3,000 feet using 26 AWG cable.

You can pick up a suitable Cisco router and FXS card cheaply on Ebay – see examples below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cisco-1760-V-Router-Call-Manager-Express-CME-4-1-PVDM-/110877424844?pt=US_Enterprise_Router_Modules_Cards_Adapters&hash=item19d0cf3ccc#ht_3767wt_1041

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cisco-Voice-VIC-2FXS-FXS-Card-1760-2600-2600XM-2691-/150485635116?pt=US_Enterprise_Router_Modules_Cards_Adapters&hash=item2309a4902c#ht_1278wt_716

This combination would also allow you to use Cisco IP phones to expand the solution if needed. You would also need two standard analogue handsets to plug into the FXS ports on the router.

hp_source
    cheez0
    Free Member

walkie talkies innit.

”get the kettle on, red leader, i’m on my way in from the man shed.. kssshhhhkkk”

faz083
    Free Member

cat 5e is 300m

codybrennan
    Free Member

Faz- max length for a segment is (about) 100 metres, so roughly 300 ft.

cbike
    Free Member

Canford or TecPro Headsets, beltpacks, and a basestation? Multiplex over 3 lines.

cheez0
    Free Member
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any telephone engineers?’ is closed to new replies.