Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any rides near Peterborough/Oubdle
  • happysnapper
    Free Member

Hi,

Just moved to Achurch outside Oundle and I'm looking for some local rides. I appreciate that there aren't a great many hills but there must be some decent XC stuff. Also is there any good forest single track around there? Not too fussed about Grafham Water (good for an evening blast in the dark but not much else).

Happy to drive for 45mins or so if needs be.

Anybody got any suggestions?

stumpy01

I live just north of P'boro and normally end up going to Thetford for my weekly fill of off-road stuff.
    Struggled to find stuff nearby.

I use Rutland water every now & again for a training session as it's a bit undulating and an easy way of getting the miles in the legs, but not much fun.

Keep meaning to buy an OS map of the area & trying to link some bridleways together. Although I seem to remember looking at an OS map in Waterstones of the local area & putting it back as there were no bridleways on it. Perhaps I need to try again, as I probably just missed them.

closeactionchris
    Free Member

Plenty of tracks and bridleways in the Oundle/Elton area. You are not far from Fineshade and Wakerley woods, which have loads of singletrack, and parking. 20 minutes from Peterborough.
    Also, Numplumz meet at Barton Seagrave (25 minutes from you) every Tuesday at 18.15 and ride a lot of local singletrack and trails, albeit at a rapid pace.

happysnapper
    Free Member

Thetford's a little too far away unfortunately. About 90 mins. Think I'll try to string some bridleways together. Was hoping someone had already done it!

puddle-rider
    Free Member

Happysnapper,

There's not a lot round here but if you look hard you can entertain yourself for an hour or two in and around Wakerley Woods,there are lots of open Bridle Ways around Oundle allthough mostly flat, Sherwood is worth a visit as is Cannock Chase, although best find a local for the Chase as FtD is not all it's cracked up to be. I regulairly go out to these places as well as the Long Mynd in Shropshire so if you want to join me some time give us a shout.

Rutland Velo Club do a regular Wednesday night ride, the full 24 miles around the water including the peninsular.

I am going out on Sunday and have this post on bikeradar, i've also posted it on Rutland Velo Club face book page if you want to join us your more than welcome

Post on bikeradar
    OS maps have been scoured, google earth checked out and i'm all set to go! Riding out this Sunday, departing Whitwell car park at 9.30am on a little tour of North Rutland. Considering two routes each of about 30 miles with convenient pub stops on the way. A couple of riding buddies from Peterborough are coming over and… any extra company is welcome. We have done parts of these routes before but never linked the bits together into one route so it might be a bit of a map reading discovery ride allthough from google earth it does look like all the tracks and ROW's are in place.

This should be the link to the routes if you want to check things out before committing yourselves.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/North-Rutland-Market-Overton

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/North-Rutland-Round

puddle-rider
    Free Member

Just remembered some more, Irchester Country Park, good place for a bit of sessioning with lots of varied terrain. Miles of open Bridleways between Brigstock and Oundle. I used to live in Brigstock and spent many years riding horses on these bridleways so know the area very well.

Stumpy, suggest you buy that OS map as there are miles of linked bridleways north of Peterborough, you can't be looking very hard!

Come and join me on Sunday if you want to be shown around some of these BW's

happysnapper
    Free Member

Great. Thanks very much for your ideas. I'll get the map out and see what I can string together.

Clobber
    Free Member

There is a fair bit around the Kings Cliffe area which also links into the Fineshade and Wakerley Woods as mentioned previously. Would be happy to show you some of the better stuff or mark a map up for you. Let me know if you're interested. johnD0TcresswellATgmailD0Tcom

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

There are lots of tracks near you the numplumz boys do all the corby/oundle/kettering way,there are lots of bridleways/byways going out yarwell/wansford & around stamford.

Kuco

mmmmmmm Kings Cliffe bakery makes the best bread imo.

Clobber
    Free Member

Can't disagree with Kuco….!!!!

ChromedOranges
    Free Member

Wasn't this area recently discussed as the worst place to ride in the UK on these very pages? Well in which case I'd give up if I were you – the internet has spoken!

pfrumpy
    Free Member

Right on your 45 minute boundary, but there's a loosely organised bunch riding in and around Bedfordshire you might want to check out : http://www.sillygrin.co.uk/index.htm

Good luck

zaskar
    Free Member

Roadriding there is ace but lacks easily found hills which I love.

Thank god I moved out but might be returning due to work for 6 months.

TooTall
    Free Member

wittering village loop

here – not technical but lots of tracks and a couple of lovely singletrack sections and a play area. Keep a look out for the wildlife around there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any rides near Peterborough/Oubdle’ is closed to new replies.