Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Any of you folks….
  • monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Take it easy on the old exercise front in winter!I just do a few rides around town  a bit of weight training and  some walks.If I try anything more difficult I probably would get ill.Anybody else similar?

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Just keep the old body ticking over I suppose.

scotroutes

Nah. I’m pushing the envelope a bit, trying to get fitter for some bigger adventures as soon as the weather improves. If I start that process too late, most of the year has gone 🙂  My biggest issue at the moment is trying to remember that recovery time is important.

rascal
    Free Member

Nope! 2 consecutive 120 mile weeks on the bike. Feel fairly fit and strong ATM – just as well as doing the Cheshire Cat sportive 4 weeks tomorrow 🙂

halifaxpete

Winter miles = Summer smiles!

Ride twice a week through winter, the odd decent walk and a psychical job 6 days a week so fitness is usually alright, however confidence on the techy stuff drops if I take it easy for too long.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I was,as we know,thinking of doing the 75 hard challenge.Then I thought it might be better to see if I survive the winter first.Perhaps I was wrong.

Northwind

In winter I exercise, in spring summer and autumn I just ride bikes a load

rOcKeTdOg

Winter miles = spring and summer smiles

Trying to average 100 miles a week but it’s been tough this winter with all the rain. Try to do a brisk walk in my lunch break at work too. I hate running and always injure myself if I start so try to avoid that.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Yes, I don’t know how anyone lives in this country over winter. Start around now.

cookeaa

The last few years I’ve taken it easy over winter and it’s done me no good, so I’ve taken up Zwift in the last few weeks just so that weather and general family commitments aren’t the determining factors in how frequently I exercise.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Today’s warm sunshine made exercising a bit more enjoyable.Damp,cold and polluted air does not seem to agree with my old body.

Caher

I usually cycle sporadically in the winter in favour of HIIT and boxing classes, swimming and weights but this year I built a full Zwift set up only to get injured in January (groin strain). So just swimming really with rehab.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Thats another problem with exercise in winter.Its just so easy to get injured.

bens
    Free Member

I only really get to ride once a week so winter or summer, I’ll be out on a Sunday.

I like to pretend to myself that I’ll start using the turbo trainer more often to help with my fitness. I hardly used it when it was in the garage so I moved it to the spare room where I also hardly use it.

I do some weights most days unless I’m home late from work. Recently, that’s been most days so haven’t really done a lot.

DickBarton

Nope, I try not to change my half-baked attempts at riding weekly.

olddonald

Commute by bike in all weathers 3 to 4 days per week. Swim and Park run – getting a bit pi**d with the wet weather. got soaked several times this week …………

MoreCashThanDash

In winter I exercise, in spring summer and autumn I just ride bikes a load

Agree with this – winter feels more like an effort to ride – manage one or two rides a week, one or two gym sessions, one or two yoga sessions.

By the end of March i can get an hour on the local tracks in daylight after work and it feels easier – and hopefully less muddy!

breadcrumb

For the first time since becoming a parent I feel my fitness is improving. Both kids in school now, and shift work means some time for myself. A mix of riding and running. Mostly running at the minute as that can be done from the door, and less clean up biking in wet conditions.

Tom83

My wife is marathon training at the moment, so my weekends are on Dad duties. My exercise time is currently either a quick blast on the bikes with my youngest (trying not to push him too much as the weather has been shite) or a run before anyone else is awake. Bring on springtime!

theotherjonv

I’ve always been a winter miles / summer smiles person but this last few months, I just haven’t been arsed, it dropped off at the end of last year after my Mum died and although I’ve been out a few times since Christmas, I honestly haven’t really enjoyed it. Partly because by not being out I’ve lost what semblance of fitness I had and it’s really hard, the tracks are mucky, the weather’s cold, and so on.

I keep feeling I OUGHT to – even get the kit out the night before, and then think **** it. And then feel worse because I didn’t.

Right now I’m trying to suppress that feeling of being a loser but at the same time not force myself out because I might then start to hate riding. Allowing myself some time off – I’ve barely had more than a holiday length of time away from the bike in 25 years – and see whether when the weather gets a bit better the desire comes back.

ajantom

Still riding once or twice a week (average is 100km a week in winter) and doing yoga most evenings.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I don’t think your a loser jonv because you couldn’t face cycling this winter.Who in there right mind wants to head out into constant rain?

scotroutes

Garmin told me today that my cycling VO2 max has increased to 46. I know that it can only be an estimate based on the limited information they gather, but it’s increased from 43 throughout 2023 so I think I’m doing something right in terms of readying myself for better weather.

ton

i try to ride 100 miles a week all year round, or 500 miles per month. mostly successful.
    but this years so far, i have fallen a bit short of my aims. because i have been doing a fair bit of walking, and also spent some time travelling in Norway, for a event.

back on track as of this weekend tho. slow staedy miles for me.

DickBarton

And there I was impressed with hitting 44 after sitting at 38 for months! Right, new target set to be 47…and that will be a wee while to achieve!

@scotroutes
    , you put your feet up…I’ll take it from here for a bit! 🤣

scotroutes

LOL – remember that it decreases with age.

jimmy

I’ve done more this winter than any previous probably. Opportunities seem to dry up (no pun) in Summer due to family stuff. And in all honesty, I love a bit of weather.

Yes, I don’t know how anyone lives in this country over winter. Start around now.

Embrace it.

TiRed

Sickness is currently putting paid to my 250km objective. And I’d rather like 400km. Instead December was a write off and I’ve been ill for three weeks now as well. Post Covid I don’t seem to clear colds and coughs as quickly. Or I’m just old(er). Frustrating to be honest.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

If you are near Southampton then I have heard digging is great for strength and fitness training.

I think I need to do about another 600m and then start again making it full width. All help welcome 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.