Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Any Machen riders…whats the easiest route up!!!
  • danjthomas
    Free Member

Hi all, (if your reading this im sure your a Moo). Im in Cardiff city centre and ride up machen to do the middle run every weekend. Which is the easier way up? If it takes longer thats fine as long as its easier.

hambl90
    Free Member

try on halfwayupmtb website its a local club and someone will help, theyre a good bunch of lads.

coatesy
    Free Member

I usually take the tarmac climb opposite the school/next to the bus stop in Machen village, turn right when the tarmac stops, follow the green lane down as far as the next tarmac, turn right immediately and push up the last bit of the scree slope, then follow the obvious tracks to the mast.Have no idea if this is any use to you as I also have no idea what trail you call the middle run, or where it starts from, but rest assured that there isn’t an “easy way” unless you know a willing 4×4 driver.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Not that I find climbing hard at all because I’m awesome but… it’s Machen, there is no “easy” way up! Although as Coatesy said, the road seems the obvious choice especially if its been raining!

mooman
    Free Member

Yep – no easy way to top!
    Turners lane (under the bridges) is most obvious. But this takes you a fair bit out of the way.
    Lewis street climb is a bit more direct. Still on tarmac, but nasty steep.
    Lower Machen up Ochywyth is easiest …moo record from bottom bridge to cattle grid at top is 7min 7sec …it will take most double that though!
    Best route is the velvet trail. Its the path in forestry. Straight up.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Any Machen riders…whats the easiest route up!!!’ is closed to new replies.