Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Any issues from hanging bikes by their wheels?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Trying to decide the best way to store the family’s bikes in my new garage, yes, new garage. Hanging will be the best use of space. Any reason not to? None of our bikes have Avids 🙂

BoardinBob

You will die

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

apparently theres a search function here that will answer your question 😉 but in short, no problem hang them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thegreatape
    Free Member

Search my arse, I’m far too busy for that – I’ve got shelves and stuff to choose as well!

sumomatt
    Free Member

Any of your bikes have Fox forks with Open Cartridges? Mate of mine had the OC Floats and hung his bike via front wheel from a wall hook, had 4 fork failures, before realised what was causing it.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

see… 2mins 47 seconds and a contradiction arrived. ah bisto the balance in the universe is marvellous.

thegreatape
    Free Member

No Fox forks. Can just hang them off the back wheel to be safe though?

johnellison
    Free Member

Any of your bikes have Fox forks with Open Cartridges? Mate of mine had the OC Floats and hung his bike via front wheel from a wall hook, had 4 fork failures, before realised what was causing it.

Rock Shox don’t like it either, apparently.

Tracey

No problems with ours, done it for years

colin9

Had some oil seal failures on some Rock Shox forks caused by keeping the bike upside down a few years ago. They may have improved the seals now.

KonaTC

The list of problems is endless;

Rim and spoke failure, [this isn’t true] 😆
    Stress cracking of head tubes, [neither is this] 😆 😆
    Bottom bracket seizing, [and again this isn’t true] 😆 😆 😆
    Excess pressure on rear tyre, [nope not true]:lol: 😆 😆 😆
    Rear mech hanger failure, [nor this]:lol: 😆 😆 😆 😆
    Hydraulic brake failure [interestingly (or not) there are naysayers who believe all brakes contain air and storing them vertically induces the air to move causing spongy brakes], I don’t believe this for one moment unless your brakes aren’t bled properly. 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

And the most dangerous issue is bumping your head when you store things under the bikes, which you will, I can speak from painful experience as all 3 of my bikes are wall mounted and hung by their front/rear wheels 😯

More seriously what I will suggest is a wall mounted security anchor and a big chain both gold standard; with the bike located as far back from the front door, out of prying eyes as possible. 🙁

eshershore
    Free Member

only damage I have seen is to high end road bikes hung vertically in bike workshops and sales staff come to take bike for customer collection, don’t lift gently off hook but try and pull bike off hook, putting hole in nice carbon fibre rim = expensive repair

allthepies
    Free Member

If you have brakes with an air vent in the reservoir (Hopes for example) then hanging the bike for long periods from the rear wheel can cause the brake fluid to escape (happened to me).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Any issues from hanging bikes by their wheels?’ is closed to new replies.