Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Any fix for vertical play in a Brand-X dropper?
  • kneed

I got about 15mm vertical play that develops over a ride. It can be fixed temporarily by standing up and and pressing the lever. 10 mins later: up and down she goes.

I emailed CRC who honoured the warranty and are sending me a new one: so 10/10 for that. But I’m reluctant to just chuck the old one in the recycling.

Being handy with a spanner and hammer : can I improve / fix the old one (well – 1 year isnt old is it!) ?

crossie
    Free Member

Have you checked the air pressure? They should be at 250 lbs. Schrader valve located under a rubber bung, under the saddle clamp assembly.

kneed

Thanks for the suggestion: mine doesnt have a schrader valve under the saddle – it looks like a threaded rod / bolt coming up from below held on by a nut between the saddle rails.

It’s internally routed – if that makes any difference.

Which reminds me – I’ve tried it with the cable disconnected altogether to eliminate cable issues: no difference/

Poopscoop

Yeah, sounds faulty I’m afraid. I think, as you say, the later ones don’t have the air valve at the top of the post.

No idea if it can be repaired via other methods.

Personally I’d be upfront about fault and sell it on eBay for spares.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

So are CRC just honouring warranties on strength of an email ,….surely they want the old unit back first .

Poopscoop

Emailed crc last night.

My 150mm BX is losing pressure over time.

They don’t want it back and have given me a credit note.👍

vmgscot

There are replacement cartridges out there and shared between PNW, Brand-X, OneUp and probably others but when I looked a while back it was 60 ish euros so was debatable if worth it when new posts are often less than £100 in CRC regular sales.

chakaping
    Free Member

So are CRC just honouring warranties on strength of an email

When they actually answer emails, yes. They are snowed under I think.

nedrapier

while we’re all on, how much is an acceptable amount of rotational wobble? – upper shaft in lower shaft?

And has anyone bought and needed to warranty through Start Fitness? They were cheaper when I bought mine.

kneed

how much is an acceptable amount of rotational wobble?

I think some play is needed due to the design. All mine have a tad of left right from new. Doesnt seem to get worse though.

If I could feel it moving about when I’m pedalling then I would think it’s an issue – otherwise I could live with it. That’s my view.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Any fix for vertical play in a Brand-X dropper?’ is closed to new replies.