Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Any fat bikers tried these rims? wide and cheaper than surly
  • tazzymtb

weinmann DHL 80mm rims 59 euros

or

65mm versions (yes i know the picture is for a 24″ version)

they look ok, cheaper than surly and double skinned to drilling big holes in em shouldn’t be a problem?

what do the officianados of fat fink?

ton

i am a fat biker, but no, i ain’t ever used them…………. 😉

tazzymtb

do you find running your large frontage at a low pressure a help on the bumpy bits ton? 😀

sofaking
    Free Member

doubble walled

are they heavy ?

probably get far more sensible answers over on the mtbr fat forum
    than over here on narrowmindedbikeforum.com

jameso

Worth looking at the trials rims from Jetset in Taiwan, brought in under a few different names. Tell tale shaped cut-outs.

http://www.jetsetrims.com/

tazzymtb

the 65mm is about 1kg the 80mm is 1.2kg and they do 100mm as well so major drillage and hope to get 1-300g off em.

I thing you may be right sofaking I’ll go n see if there’s any normal folk to get a proper answer from 😀

tazzymtb

cheers jameso I’ve been looking at onza trials rims 47mm as well but don’t know how a 3.8″ tyre will play on them at low pressure.

tazzymtb

70mm rims 1040g from jetset, look good!

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Tazzy – a 50mm rim is fine with all the 3.8″ tyres.

For bigger 4.5″ tyres, a larger rim is probably needed – 65mm Surly Marge lights weigh only 685g from memory……… not cheap though 🙁 I think I’ll get one for my Jones at some point – probably next summer when I will want to put on a BFL

tazzymtb

TBH it’s cost and getting hold of surly stuff that is the issue. Some of the trials rims are very light 500-600g for a 50mm rim that’s meant for hopping on rocks so hopefully that’ll hold up well enough with a big fat rubber thing on it.

tazzymtb

cheers futon, that’s just the sort of info I was after. Looks like a light weight fat front wheel comming up then. Any advice on a good 135mm front hub?

singlespeedstu

http://www.paulcomp.com/diskwhub.html

If you can get one.

If not the Jones hub is supposed to be good.

tazzymtb

cheers stu , got a jones one on my 29er front and it’s lovely, anyone tried the surly one, or is general convention just to get a singlespeed rear hub and build a front wheel around that?

Keef
    Free Member

taz,they look eggs ackerly the same as them 80mm ones I bought from that german custom site,er ‘cept a different colour.

Keef
    Free Member

ringo’s got a whub.wanka.

tazzymtb

keef, how where they to build and how much metal did you remove with a hole cutter?

Keef
    Free Member

peasy.and fookin shed loads,about 250gms from each rim.could go more,easy tho.

singlespeedstu

I’ve got a couple of Surly hubs. They’re OK but you’ll need to get the axle turned down if you want to use it in the Jones fork.

Oh and use a spacer behind the rotor.

Ringo
    Free Member

The Whub is luvverly

singlespeedstu

Ringo – Member

The Whub is luvverly

Oh yesh.

epicyclo

Yup, those rims are what I use. Got several wheels built up with them.

100mm wide rim:

80mm wide rim:

tazzymtb

epicyclo-any problems with them or are they fairly decent? in which case at the cheapy cheap prices on a certain website i’ll get 2 just in case I’m a ham fisted buffoon with the hole cutter

epicyclo

They’re way too strong 🙂

When doing your build make sure you get your wheel as true as possible with slack nipples, and then tighten up a wee bit at a time. It is very difficult to pull these rims into true after the fact, so get it right at the start.

You probably don’t need to be OCD about getting them to the same standard of truth as a road wheel – the variations in the tyre are greater.

I haven’t drilled any yet, but that’s because they’d end up heavier once I’d got them full of mud. It may be worthwhile drilling to make the rims easier to true.

tazzymtb

gosh, I’ll go for the 65mm then. Thanks folks, useful information from silly track whatever next! 😀

epicyclo

tazzymtb – Member
    …useful information from silly track whatever next!

I tend to put most of my mods on mtbr these days. Less likelihood of having to wade through a myriad of sneering posts from Richard Head and his fashionista mates.

If you’re wanting them for winter, I’d suggest the 80mm as the best compromise.

tazzymtb

cheers matey

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

do you find running your large frontage at a low pressure a help on the bumpy bits ton?

How would Ton nursing a semi help on the bumpy bits?

tazzymtb

CFH, he’s getting on a bit, vigorous jolting in an overgrown dirty gully with a fully rigid front would do him no good at all 😀

rim ordered, now to find a hub….and a tyre

rOcKeTdOg

Tazzy, any chance you could mail me a link to the ‘sillycheap’ rim website?

Rocketdoguk@gmail.com

epicyclo

Classic-cycle.de is the place I get mine.

Keef
    Free Member

I got the same as epi,same place.for the Frankenfat,easy to drill,and easy to build,look good n strong enough when drilled,I went for 25mm holes,on 80mm rims,30mm would of been possible though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Easy to get them down in weight (80mm versions) – look way nicer in black, shame they machined the side-walls.

IMAG0334.jpg by alan cole, on Flickr

I’d say use 36H hubs though as it’s a bit of a PITA drilling them out to 32 and it ****s up the spacing etc for weight-saving holes.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Any fat bikers tried these rims? wide and cheaper than surly’ is closed to new replies.