Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • any chemists hiding in the wood work?
  • bikerbruce
    Free Member

Im back to school tomorow and have a week of intensive lab work,
    I'm doing an investigation into "The Kinetics of the reaction between Peroxodisulfate (VI) Ions and Iodide Ions "
    all sounds good and will work anyone done it before?any tips,things that i could do extra or background research surounding it.
    thanks(see dad ST will help me pass exams)
    Bruce

jonb
    Free Member

I'm a chemist and I'm not in hiding.Back in the day we used to use text books. If not just google it, I did best checking a few sources to make sure you get something consistent.

http://www.avogadro.co.uk/kinetics/peroxodisulphate.htm

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Back in the day we used to use text books

😆 😆

bikerbruce
    Free Member

thanks jonb. ive looked at the avogadro site often it seems good.

scotabroad

seem to remember that is called the "clock reaction" or something like that??

Key part of carrying out such experimentation is be accurate in your technique. Weigh and measure out out all your reagents as accurately as you can and in this reaction be precise about the timing of the reaction commpletion. Tabulate your results properly etc. But as with all physical chemistry the hard work is in the interpretation.

This brings back "happy" memories.

Good luck.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ditto, dead simple reaction, but dead easy to f*** up as well.

Be consistent, always use the same measuring cylinder, ballances, glassware etc to keep the errors consistent. Don't measure different chemicals in the same glassware, always keep things as seperate as possible.

If you'r carefull and do everything 100% right it's quite easy to get readings accurate to about +/- 0.1s, especialy if you use something other than your eyesight, (measuring absorbtion of a particular wavelength of light or temperature work quite well with accurate equipment).

Ohh and measure/controll everything, no point mixing up a batch of chemicals with tap water, then expecting the same results the next day when theyr at room temp. Stick them all in a waterbath at 40deg.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

Mrs McGrew is a Chemistry teacher and suggests you look here and look at number 24.
    She says it'll give you a good start without giving you the answers.

Cheers

Paul

juan
    Free Member

what tinas said
    It's been years since I set foot in a lab, but the thin red line of tutoring the physical labs have been:
    Be thourough, be precise be clean.

So if you have limitied glass wear, always rince it with the product before end, always use the same scale and the same thingy to weight your products.

Be even more thourough for your hand book.

Hope it helps.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Does it involve setting fire to magnesium? If not, I probably can't help.

juan
    Free Member

LOL at ian

clubber
    Free Member

Ah, brings back memories of my days working as a gap year student at Glaxo in process research 🙂 That year while quite interesting was enough to make me do an engineering degree 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘any chemists hiding in the wood work?’ is closed to new replies.