• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by br.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Any better/lighter wheels than Hope ProII/ ZTR Crest, tubeless, under £300 ??
  • dickie
    Free Member

Looking to buy a set of wheels, to run tubeless, to run QR or QR15 front.
    14 stone rider, for use on Ti hardtail frame or 100mm suspension frame.

Is there anything else worth considering other than Hope Pro II’s on ZTR Crest rims? Best price I’ve seen is £277 with valves, yellow tape & sealent. Weight quoted as 765g front, 888g rear.

nbt

Best price I’ve seen is £277 with valves, yellow tape & sealent

Speak to 18 bikes, they might be a bit more expensive but it’s all come fitted and ready to roll

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

dickie – Member
    Best price I’ve seen is £277 with valves, yellow tape & sealent.

Have you got a link?

Ta,
    R

dickie
    Free Member

York Bike Outlet

mattstreet

I put exactly the same wheelset on my new Ti hardtail.

After looking into it, came to the conclusion that they’re definitely the best ‘compromise’ between weight, robustness and cost. Not really any compromise ‘cos they’re awesome! Buy! 😀

P.S. Just remember you need a good cassette on the ProII freehub!

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Cheers dickie.

chiefgrooveguru

Yes, I just discovered about the cassette thing. SRAM PG980 ordered!

dickie
    Free Member

XT cassette OK?
    Whats the issue?

daveb
    Free Member

XT cassette is fine, I have used one on a few sets of ProII hub wheels with no issues. Cheaper cassettes eat into the free wheel

nbt

Pro II comes with aluminium freehub as standard, the cassette can cut into the splines unless you use one with a spider to carry the rings – XT has such a spider

z1ppy

dickie – Member
    XT cassette OK?
    Whats the issue?

The ali freehub can/is chewed up by individual rings you get on cheaper cassettes, XT and such like have a spider which avoid this for all but the top three rings – so less damage is caused.
    You can alos buy a steel freehub, this won’t get damaged but will add to the overall weight.

Personnally ihave had a set of Pro II’s 3-4 years and yes its a bit chewed but it works perfectly fine.

chiefgrooveguru

As I discovered when I opened my new Pro 2 Evo / Flow rims yesterday, the issue is large steel sprockets marking the aluminium freehub splines under load, so they recommend you use a cassette with an alloy spider on the larger sprockets.

dickie
    Free Member

Thanks for the info.

mboy
    Free Member

Until the weekend had a pair of the same wheels, but with the 355 rims (the Crests predecessor). Great wheels, light, strong, easy to go tubeless with etc. The only bugbear for me, as I suspected it might be when I bought them, was the increasingly louder freehub!

If you’ve no aversion to a bike with a loud freehub, then no two ways about it, buy them, you’ll love them. As it is, I’ve come to hate loud hubs on bikes, so I just had to get rid! Just bought a 2nd hand set of DT240’s off the classifieds though, so all sorted now…

seanoc
    Free Member

Hope Pro 3 SP-XC6 No Tubes ZTR 355  
    800g rear/600g front for £275!

br
    Free Member

Just bought the same, but the SP version – weighed in at 703g and 858g.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Any better/lighter wheels than Hope ProII/ ZTR Crest, tubeless, under £300 ??’ is closed to new replies.