Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Any Alfine8 Gods?
  • alexxx
    Free Member

I’ve had my Alfine8 apart as it was slipping – more so around 4th gear – no idea why as its on the downhill bike (zerode) that barely gets any use… so I stripped it down and gave it a load of compressed air to clean it all up and lots of degreaser – dried it and then oil bathed it for the night and rebuilt it.

Couldn’t see any wear at all or corrosion – got it back together – checked the cable tension and length ect… still slipping!

Any thoughts greatly appreciated…

tjagain

adjust the cable tension a tiny bit each way – on mine I have to have the cable slightly tighter than the marks suggest – only half a mm or so. Or try new cables. Most shifting issues are down to sticking cables.

alexxx
    Free Member

It’s got new inner and outer – it actually uses an x9 shifter with a different index plate (which is absolutely unmarked) and the cable length is setup to the mm with a ruler rather than the marker on the window – well I cant see the window as its hidden behind the frame.

Do you think it’s more likely that its simply “just off” rather than any damage?

TimP
    Free Member

On my old one, it constantly readjusted itself, and lining up the dots let it run for a week or so before slipping and so I ended up preempting the slip by unaligning the dots a bit. I guess if you have had it a while you would know any nuances on your hub though? And mine slipped in middle gears first

amedias
    Free Member

x9 shifter with a different index plate

damn you to hell, I’ve been trying to find one of those Zerode plates (or complete shifters) for ages!

Sorry, no advice that can help but there is a VERY knowledgeable chap on the CTC (Cycling UK) forum when it comes to Alfines, repairs and rebuilds and all sorts so if you’re a member on there might be worth hunting him down and sending a PM.

Other than TJ’s advice RE: Indexing I’ve got nothing more to add as mine have all been reliable enough that I’ve never had to do anythign other than indexing, it is worth playing beyond ‘the dots line up’ though as like TJ I have one that needs under-aligning, and one that needs over-aligning to shift sweetly.

trail_rat
    Free Member

the lines are a guide – nothing else – i know shimano say otherwise but ive sorted out many an alfine moaner by adjusting on pedal feedback rather than the yellow lines…..

usually they end up about half in line.

epicyclo

Never had to touch my Alfines, but I remember one way to put the gear change out on a S-A hub was to adjust the cones wrong.

There’s probably a measurement for how much axle should protrude if that’s the case. If so, it’s worth checking.

alexxx
    Free Member

Thanks guys I’ll have a fettle again – when I rebuilt it I just snugged the cones up so maybe that is worth revisiting too.

Send Rob at zerode a message about an index plate – he may have some knocking around that he is willing to sell

amedias
    Free Member

Send Rob at zerode a message about an index plate – he may have some knocking around that he is willing to sell

I did try emailing a while back, got no response 🙁

Hope you get yours sorted, it’s unlikely to actually be broken, adjustment will hopefully get you right again.

alexxx
    Free Member

Try again maybe wait a week or 2 as he’s in germany with the new enduro bike he’s been grafting on.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Any Alfine8 Gods?’ is closed to new replies.