• This topic has 805 replies, 87 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 806 total)
  • Anti anti-vaxxer?
  • Drac

I believe Lincoln said it best P7.

onewheelgood

They’re in this weird parallel universe where seemingly a teacher requires a TA, but a TA is expected to manage a class on their own and that’s fine.

Ha! Mrs Onewheel is a TA, she’s spent most of the pandemic, including all the lockdowns, teaching a class or sometimes two, on her own. For minimum wage.

scotroutes

Are TAs and teachers in the same union?

sefton
    Free Member

theotherjonv

it’s all in the previous pages.

1/ it won’t stop transmission, it reduces it by reducing viral loads in carriers, etc., and theoretically reduces the amount that’s transferred as well. But as it is more prevalent, even though each contact in itself may have a reduced chance of transfer, more contacts with it increases that risk again that it will be passed on.

2/ the seatbelt analogy. Everyone you know that has it has had their vaccinations – but that’s because the vast majority have had vaccinations now. Most people injured in car crashes are wearing seatbelts – are seatbelts ineffective then?

[edit – your question since deleted?]

Cougar

There used to be a Crimestoppers type advert on a bus stop near where I used to work, “two out of five thefts from cars are from unlocked vehicles” – damn, I’m worse off by locking mine then.

Del

Lol. Saw bill bailey relate a tail regarding being stopped for not wearing a seatbelt. He was informed the drummer from Def leppard was involved in a car accident where, unrestrained, he left the vehicle without one of his arms. His girlfriend, who was wearing a seatbelt, was killed…

mjsmke

Movement limitation is just the same as needing a driving license to drive. Get vaccinated to travel. Pretty simple and fair to me.

molgrips
    Free Member

Movement limitation is just the same as needing a driving license to drive.

Yeah if you want to go abroad they also make you apply for a little blue book that holds your personal details, just so they can track wherever you go. AND it costs money, and you can’t leave the country without it. Whatever happened to freedom? Nazi bastards!

Cougar

It left with the red ones.

Jakester
    Free Member

Yeah if you want to go abroad they also make you apply for a little blue book that holds your personal details, just so they can track wherever you go. AND it costs money, and you can’t leave the country without it. Whatever happened to freedom? Nazi bastards!

What’s worse is they make you carry a little box around in your pocket that tracks your movements at all times. AND it’s sometimes 5G too.

molgrips
    Free Member

No, 5g is a conspiracy don’t be silly.

Cougar

We have 6G round here.

Spin
    Free Member

Are TAs and teachers in the same union?

Not to my knowledge. Teachers are pretty well unionised, support staff much less so generally.

Cougar

My OH (a TA) is in UNISON I’m told.

pondo

Anecdotal but Mrs Pondo’s colleagues aren’t even speaking to their unions, too much to do! From her as an individual I know there’s a lack of confidence that anything could or would be done anyway.

I see school absence has made Beeb headlines. Good – it’s a shambles.

kelvin

My OH was in Unison when she was a TA. She’s now a teacher and in the NEU… oh, and currently in bed ill with Covid. For the second time this academic year.

Drac

Going by the number of messages for shifts needing covered it’s getting worse for us too.

dyna-ti

I take it you didn’t actually fact-check your sources?

Nope didnt check, and we’ve already had that a couple of pages back, but then you wouldnt have had the impetus for the rest of your little speech.

Took the first quote google offered and seemed to fit, which is does actually, and while not factual in relation to who said it, it is the type of thing someone like that would say. So at the very least the implication is there.

Thanks for your time. Noted 😀

monkeyboyjc

Took the first quote google offered and seemed to fit, which is does actually, and while not factual in relation to who said it, it is the type of thing someone like that would say. So at the very least the implication is there.

Said every antivax’r ever……😄

piemonster

This thread to me was a Troll from the start

This certainly seems to be the case

dyna-ti

Said every antivax’r ever

Yeah but im not an anti vaxxer.

Oh i see. In the latest which hunt, all that is needed is the accusation. The hope that that offsets any suspicion against the accuser.

And while is wasn’t a direct accusation, again the implication was there all the same.

Well done 😀

kelvin

and while not factual in relation to who said it, it is the type of thing someone like that would say

“It’s all made up nonsense… but in a way, doesn’t it illustrate a real truth far better than all that science, history and facts stuff?!”

Anyway, the slippery slope argument that was supposed to be reinforcing can be used to make anything sound extreme… “yeah, you can argue that is reasonable and proportionate… but if they can do this, imagine what else they might do?!? Today it’s temporarily requiring people have a vaccine or a test before going to a concert… before you know it they’ll be raiding your home at the dead of night to steal you semen!”

dyna-ti

Were this 17th century New England, it would be clear who still has their farm and who’s a smoldering pile of ash in the town square 😆

monkeyboyjc

And while is wasn’t a direct accusation, again the implication was there all the same.

Nope, no accusation – you’ve already stated several times you’re not anti vaccination, but you have clearly made the same mistake as many who are with the antivax crowd.

Google something to reinforce beliefs, find something that fits – doesn’t matter how factually correct it is, just crow bar it in. When pulled up on the facts, say it doesn’t matter – it fits my rhetoric. You must see the irony?

dyna-ti

Nope, no accusation – you’ve already stated several times you’re not anti vaccination, but you have clearly made the same mistake as many who are with the antivax crowd.

Yeah I know that really. but it can be quite depressing being constantly on the defensive in these kind of threads 🙁

Apologies for any undue accusations on my part.

No harm done really 🙂

p7eaven
    Free Member

but it can be quite depressing being constantly on the defensive in these kind of threads

Kool Aid available at the normal outlets. Otherwise a little thought before posting ‘facts’ need not be depressing. Learning is fun 😉

What is truly depressing is defending against the mountains of social-media misinformation, disinformation, and Holocaust-baiting around COVID-19, and during a pandemic. No need to take it personally. You’re not alone in disseminating falsities and drawing false comparisons between vaccine requirements and victims of Nazi persecution. And I’m not alone in challenging it.

https://www.who.int/news-room/feature-stories/detail/fighting-misinformation-in-the-time-of-covid-19-one-click-at-a-time

PJM1974
    Free Member

@plus-one – apology accepted, in turn I likewise apologise for my heavy-handed response.

@Mods – please would you mind deleting my responses (aside from this, obvs) to plus-one? Many thanks.

durianrider
    Free Member

My vaccine only works if you also took it. Same with all vaccines in history right?

4 shots in a year and STILL getting sick is normal for all vaccines in history.

This virus is so dangerous you need a test to know if you have it and a cloth mask is essential safety gear…

Daffy

US CDC is stating that the likelihood of severe illness and death is 100x more likely in the unvaccinated. 25% of the US is unvaccinated – 85m people. Case rates and death rates are at their highest since the peak of the Delta wave. Johns Hopkins said that hospitalisation is at its highest level throughout the pandemic. More movement, by more vaccinated people, means more unvaccinated are getting seriously Ill.

Yes, Omicron is less severe, but infections rates are staggeringly high, and even a small fraction of a very large number, is still a large number of severe illness and death cases. The really sad thing is that it’s almost all completely avoidable…

MoreCashThanDash

Yes, Omicron is less severe, but infections rates are staggeringly high, and even a small fraction of a very large number, is still a large number of severe illness and death cases. The really sad thing is that it’s been pointed out several times over the course of this thread and people still don’t get it and almost all completely avoidable…

kerley
    Free Member

A thought I have always had is what happens in the long term on number of deaths per country. As unless variants such as Omicron completely die out then any of the countries who have done very well (i.e. NZ) still have a ticking time bomb years away unless they continue testing, vaccinating and lockdown cycle for next 10 years as there is still the risk from the very high infection rate and therefore fairly high illness and death rate at any time.

molgrips
    Free Member

This virus is so dangerous you need a test to know if you have it and a cloth mask is essential safety gear…

Are you dim or what? It has a good chance of killing you if you happen to have the deadly response to it. And it has killed lots of people. Weren’t you paying attention these last two years?

It’s like firing guns up into the sky. The bullets will miss most people on the way down, but it’s still considered dangerous.

jamesoz

My vaccine only works if you also took it. Same with all vaccines in history right?

Let me rephrase that for you.
    The vaccine isn’t 100% a bullet proof sheild but it helps reduce your chance of infection and speeds the clearing of the virus.

For me at present it seems it’s not a threat. Others are not so lucky, with or without pre existing health conditions.

Masks are for the safety of others.
    On a basic level, people spit when they talk

Actually I can’t be arsed, morons are morons

Murray

Is my 13 year old daughter’s Spanish teacher telling his class that wearing masks is a waste of time just exercising his freedom or is he being an arse? I’ve told my daughter that she can exercise her freedom by ignoring him or telling him he’s an arse.

BTW a fifth of her class are off with COVID which presumably proves that masks are a waste of time to the teacher. It tells me that the pandemic isn’t over (as do the Zoe figures for Chiltern which are the highest ever – over 40,000 active cases per million)

kelvin

Well, if you’ve already had 4 shots, then I presume you must be someone identified as being more at risk, you’re immunocompromised or something… so a quick thank you to everyone else getting their 2 or 3 shots, and wearing masks, and everything else they’ve been doing with you in mind, wouldn’t go a miss.

Well, you’ve understood something then. Yes, it is the combination of the following that have made this virus so dangerous…

– that you can be infectious while you are asymptomatic
    – that it can have short and long term effects on the infected
    – that transmission only requires sharing of droplets

…so tests are required, and masks can help reduce transmission to some degree.

tomhoward

I presume you must be someone identified as being more at risk, you’re immunocompromised or something…

Poor diet?

Drac

No, it works better. If I wear a seatbelt in a car my survival rate is higher, if the person sat behind me doesn’t my rate drops. That doesn’t mean seatbelts don’t work.

4? 2 initial doses and one booster. My flu jab contains 3-4 variant covers in 1 shot so doesn’t need more than one, the flu season is also only a few months.

You need a test to confirm cancer.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Internet dickhead makes stupid comment shocker…

petemoore
    Free Member

It’s like firing guns up into the sky. The bullets will miss most people on the way down, but it’s still considered dangerous.

It really isn’t. We knew back in early 2020 that the virus impacted the elderly and those already vulnerable with other conditions the hardest, and a by huge orders of magnitude at that. Chris Whitty said as much in one of his March 2020 briefings. The young and healthy have been thankfully at very little risk from it. Please see data here:

The pandemics disproportionate toll on the elderly

Therefore all we have done with our policy of treating everyone as though they are at roughly equal risk, by quarantining the healthy, is to spread our resources far too thin, whereas we should have targeted all of our resources and treatment at those who most need it. This has resulted in needless death and suffering in the elderly cohort, a disproportionate impact on healthcare for all, and caused huge damage to everyone else in the process.

Another sad consequence is that by adopting public health measures with no proven efficacy in the real world (e.g. cloth masks), by using ‘unfit for purpose’ modelling to drive policy, and by attempting to coerce vaccination with threats of loosing jobs, vaccine passes etc, is that the public confidence in it’s government and in public health policy is becoming badly broken. The trust is largely gone and it will take an awful lot to get it back. Such a shame.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 806 total)

The topic ‘Anti anti-vaxxer?’ is closed to new replies.