Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Another peaks route reqeust :)
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

has any one got a .gpx file/route for starting in hope, including the beast, and hollins cross with riding in hayfield included? i know thats probably not the right way round, but would like to include those bits if possible? starting in hope, and up through roman road?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

anyone 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I can do one for you this evening, though I don't have one to hand. Where do you want to start and how long ?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hey simon! cheers, would really appreicate that!

well i would like to start at edale if thats possible, from the main car park…..would like to include hope, roman road, the beast, hagg farm and the likes around there, then wouldnt mind doing cut gate, and somehow including a bit of hayfield and back to edale? preferably mostly off road, any time scale is fine really would expect a whole morning/afternoon riding….

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

any time scale is fine really would expect a whole morning/afternoon riding….

and overnight bivi ???
    Hayfield means Rushup, Roych and Jacob's Ladder which some might consider a ride in itself 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i usually start off at edale to mam tor to rushups edge, jacobs etc….

would prefer to do edale > hope with the beast going downhill, and then a loop back round to edale

forget hayfield then, as doing jacobs as well is pretty much a ride as you suggest 🙂

so yeah a decent route from edale to hope with all those bits in would be sccchweeeeeet!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Edale, Jaggers Clough, Hope Cross, Beast, causeway, Cutthroat Gate, Winstone Lee Tor, Derwent, Gores Farm, Lockerbrook Heights, Hagg Fm, Blackley Hey, Hope Cross, Roman Road, Hope ?

If you want to get back, Castleton, Hollins Cross, Edale…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

simon that sounds superb! absolutly spot on, still incorporates the hagg farm descent etc too and the beast!!! yeah and getting back to edale via hollins cross sounds mint!

cheers simon, thanks a million ill look forward to the route 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i assmue it will be a .gpx file by the way 🙂

andy7t2
    Free Member

can you plan a route for me as well simon somewhere in the peaks, about 20 to 25 miles long, two pub stops on the way and to include the best downhill bits

Cheers Squire

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

i assmue it will be a .gpx file by the way

sure thing 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

two pub stops on the way and to include the best downhill bits

since I don't like beer I don't know how to assess pubs but I'll do my best 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

thanks simon! i often go on bogtrotters looking at the pics, must cover an awful lot of miles a week! shame your not in and around the peaks more often, id gladly join!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think Manchester Mountain Bikers are often in the area, and there's a regular locals evening ride (Tuesdays ?) from Hayfield…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Edale special

you might choose to go round the top of Howden res instead of cutting across Fairholmes, and although I've marked the route up the BW onto Hollins Cross, I've only ever pushed my bike up the FP. You could also go round the side of Mam Tor from Hollins and:
    a) take BW from the bus stop down to Edale (which I've just spotted)
    b) if more energetic, take in Rushup and down Chapel Gate.

BadlyWiredDog

I think Manchester Mountain Bikers are often in the area, and there's a regular locals evening ride (Tuesdays ?) from Hayfield…

Wednesday, 7.30 from the car park in front of the Royal. Google 'Hayfield Hub' for more info/contacts but they're pretty relaxed about folk just rolling up. They even put up with me occasionally.

Also, if you're 'local', High Peak Cycles in Glossop generally has a Thursday night ride starting about six o'clock, a Sunday ride starting early-ish and as of last week, a 3pm Friday road ride for dedicated slackers. Not sure if it's staying as road ride or not, might alternate.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

simon – legend!!!

cheers buddy, is that a pretty sweet ride then? lots of good descents and good climbs too?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

cheers buddy, is that a pretty sweet ride then? lots of good descents and good climbs too?

I've never ridden that exact route, but it fits your specification and should be great fun 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Cheers simon! ive done some of the bits already and they alone are great fun, so any extra bits are a bonus 🙂 be a quality ride though, thanks again!! really appreciated!

nbt

take BW from the bus stop down to Edale (which I've just spotted)

It's s cracking little descent that one, worth giving it a go if you've never done it

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

being dim but where abouts is that then? any chance of a quick plan of the bit in question on bike hike :)?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It's s cracking little descent that one

thanks Julian – I thought it was a bit presumptious of me suggesting a route when I'm not local, but neither you nor BWB have seen fit to pull it to bits 🙂

nbt

not checked out the route simon, I don't do GPS and whatnot 😉

andy7t2
    Free Member

Looks like a great route i've done all the sections but never together

Cheers simon

And 4 pubs on route 😆 😆

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

not checked out the route simon, I don't do GPS and whatnot

I put it in English first:
    "Edale, Jaggers Clough, Hope Cross, Beast, causeway, Cutthroat Gate, Winstone Lee Tor, Derwent, Gores Farm, Lockerbrook Heights, Hagg Fm, Blackley Hey, Hope Cross, Roman Road, Hope
    If you want to get back, Castleton, Hollins Cross, Edale"

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

simon where abouts is this little descent near a bustation? havent got a clue where that is in edale 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

simon where abouts is this little descent near a bustation?

I said "bus stop". When you come to the end of the BW beside Mam Tor it emerges onto the road, where there is a bus stop. Turn right and there's another BW going directly down to Edale.

approx here

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ahh yes, somebody has mentioned that finish back down to edale before, suppose to be really good! ill probably add that onto the end rather than go up mam tor and down the way you put 🙂 this should be a super ride!!! cheers again simon!!! 🙂

peachos
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member
    I think Manchester Mountain Bikers are often in the area,

we ride in the Peaks loads, and i'm going to be putting on more midweek stuff now the weather's getting better and the nights longer.

last tuesday we did – start @ bottom of winnats pass – mam tor broken road up to rushup edge – rushup edge descent – rushup edge ascent – chapelgate – hollins cross – mam tor – cavedale.

was planning on doing dirtlow rake & pindale as well but it was frickin' cold & windy.

http://www.meetup.com/manchester-mountain-bikers

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

last tuesday we did – start @ bottom of winnats pass

glad to hear you're so active – sounds excellent!

andy7t2
    Free Member

can someone give me the grid ref for cavedale can't seem to find it on my map

Cheers

midlifecrashes

Linky to show Cavedale

Streetmap, SK148822

Coming at it from Mam Tor car park, come round the road, past the top of Winnats Pass down to Castleton, as the road turns right, look for the walled lane past Rowter Farm to the end, then bear left at the junction. Not far along this gated lane you see BW signs heading off over fields to the left, doesn't look like much from there, but follow it down over two? fields and a couple of gates and it starts to dip before hitting the top of Cavedale itself.

andy7t2
    Free Member

cheers Midlifecrashes

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

before hitting the top of Cavedale itself.

… then abandon all hope :o)

BadlyWiredDog

hanks Julian – I thought it was a bit presumptious of me suggesting a route when I'm not local, but neither you nor BWB have seen fit to pull it to bits

It's actually sometimes better not to be local. When you ride stuff a lot you sometimes lose a bit of perspective, I think. I love the local riding here, but more and more I just kind of head out and make it up as I go, depending on how I feel and what the conditions are like. That's why it's brilliant riding with different people, you suddenly find yourself combining trails in a way you hadn't considered or riding new stuff you didn't even know was there. The Hayfield lot are good for that. Anyway, I'm sure it's a perfectly good route, mostly round here it's hard to go far wrong though you can always MBR things and do all the good descents as climbs then lose altitude on tarmac if you really try – up the campsite descent then up Coldwell Clough, across to Peep of Day, up to New Allotments, then down and descend by the quarry would be a tad perverse. Ditto climbing Beet Lane etc…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

That's why it's brilliant riding with different people, you suddenly find yourself combining trails in a way you hadn't considered or riding new stuff you didn't even know was there

Yes, exactly! Although I'm not local, after 14 years of visiting, most of it is very familiar, though I keep coming across new bits too, which I very much enjoy. To quote THHGTTG, "Share and enjoy!" 🙂

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Another peaks route reqeust :)’ is closed to new replies.