Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Annual leave booking – what’s normal?
  • Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Our holiday year runs alongside our financial year & is done in hours. Minimum is 25 days + BH, max for us on the SLT is 33 days + BH. We also run a scheme to reduce lateness & sickness which means you can have an extra Friday off, per calendar month (or stack them up). Works out nicely as it becomes 45 days + BH for me. We can carry over the equivalent of 5 days holiday & 3 Friday CAP days, sell 5 back, or buy 5 extra.

Overall, we’re probably the most flexible (and generous) i’ve experienced. If I ever leave, i’m going to have a real issue going back to a company with a statutory holiday allowance. It’s less than half I get now.

breadcrumb

I’ve never worked anywhere that lets you roll them over.

I’m not sure if I can buy extra, but overtime can be traded for time in lieu.

A previous employer would sometimes let you cash in holidays, but it wasn’t for all.

lunge

25 days + BH’s here. You get an extra day each your of service up to 30 + BH’s.
    I can carry 5 over to next year, to be used any time.
    You can buy 5 extra, but no selling of what you have got.
    We’re encouraged to use them each year, it can be a pain for planning if you have an entire department with 30 days leave to use.

tekp2
    Free Member

25d plus bank holidays. One extra day per year of service after year 3 up to max of 30d per year.

Normally can carry over up to 5d to be used by end of q1, but this is not contractual, and is not happening this year due to covid.

Can’t sell hols, but can take up to 10d per year unpaid leave, without any special arrangement.

Have to book in advance one week for every day you want to take off.

Contractually obliged to take off the 3d between Christmas and New year, unless company tells us otherwise because of a specific client need to work those days.

db

Carry over 5 and use by end of March.

We can buy and sell up to 5 as well but that must be decided before the year starts.

Kuco

Usually 5 days but allowed to carry 15 days over this year due to covid, to be used with in the following 12 months.

ji
    Free Member

Has varied hugely at places I have been at. From having to book all the years leave apart froma few days at the start of the year, through to manage it yourself.

Currently able to carry foreard 10 (usually 5) days, although more in exceptional circumstances like a future honeymoon, big birthday etc. No ablility to buy extra or sell it back, unless it is cancelled by work.

kittyr
    Free Member

Our policy:
    – 27 days annual leave
    – can buy up to an additional 10 days, straight salary sacrifice. Can only do this in a 2 week benefits period in November for the next cal year ahead.
    – carry forward 5 days with approval generally
    – if you have a special event like wedding, or there was a business reason why you couldn’t take holiday you can carry forward 10 days

This year – no roll forward. They don’t want the holiday balance liability IMO. F kin nightmare, everyone is taking random days off at the moment to use up time off.

FFJA
    Free Member

You want to try being in the fire service system of leave groups!
    I once had a guvnor who mysteriously had every Christmas off……

matt_outandabout

Ours:
    You can’t carry over leave. This year we’ve made an exception and staff can carry up to 4 days.
    Any dates booked are by agreement and while we try to accommodate all requests, they’re not guaranteed. First come, first served.
    Leave should be booked relatively evenly over the year to prevent staff burnout, you can’t take more than a fortnight without boss’s permission.
    Time in lieu should be taken within a fortnight of earning it.
    Rule No.1 applies on both sides.

freeagent
    Free Member

Ours tops out at 30 days + BHs once you’ve done 15 years (which i have next year)

We can carry 5 days over but they should be used in the first 3 months of the following year.

We can also buy up to 5 day extra holiday, but the combination of base allowance, carryover and bought holiday can’t come to more than 35 days.

We get TOIL if we’re away over a weekend because we don’t get paid any extra for travel.

However for the next two years they’re letting us carry 10 days over, with no limit on when it needs to be used.

I’m carrying over 8 days so for 2021 i’ve got 38 days + BH.

I think ours is pretty reasonable – i’ve never been denied a holiday request in 15 years, and that includes a couple of 3 week summer breaks.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Posties were supposed to have been able to book their Apr21-Mar22 leave by the end of October, normally we can roll over up to five days but that curently might be different due to the pandemic, 22.5 days pro rata + BH basic (plus extra for long service and can top up leave to six weeks + BH by weekly wage deduction).

Cougar

With a few exceptions, full-time workers are allowed 28 days leave by statute. They must be allowed the opportunity to take this leave.

There is no obligation for a company to allow the employees to dictate when they take their leave. Ie, leave requests can be refused and they can be mandated (“you’re off on the 15th”) so long as you get the chance to have time off at some point.

The Working Time Directive, as recently amended for coronavirus circumstances, allows you to carry forward up to ten days for up to two years. A company cannot legally just take these away from you, it is a statutory requirement, however as per the previous paragraph they can force you to take them.

Government guidance for giving notice states twice the leave time plus one day. So if you wanted two days’ leave, you’d give five day notice. In practice though your employment contract trumps this. If an employer wants to cancel booked leave then they have to give plus one day, so for example five days’ leave would require six days’ notice to cancel.

Cougar

Use them or loose them at my work

In my experience they have to be taken or lost

Then both of your employers are breaking the law.

Cougar

Legalities aside, now for the anecdotes.

Our official policy for leave requests is two weeks notice. In practice I’ve worked here for, what, 14 years now I think, under multiple different managers over the years and not one of them has ever had a problem with “sorry for the late notice but something’s come up, can I take tomorrow off please?” I’ve had a leave request refused precisely once and it was in exceptional circumstances.

Leave entitlement is as per statute. We have a window annually where we can buy up to an additional five days. We used to be able to sell up to five as well, but I don’t think that’s lawful any more. I don’t recall seeing it this year, anyway.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Annual leave booking – what’s normal?’ is closed to new replies.