Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Annie Mac on 6 music.
  • tthew

Why is Annie Mac rebranded as Macmanus for 6 music? I know she’s not doing her usual thing, but feels like an attempt to disassociate her from previous Radio 1 persona, which is odd.

nicko74

I noticed that, thought it was interesting. Post R1, she does seem (from interviews etc) to be really working on changing direction, with her 9pm club night, I believe she’s writing a book etc – maybe some sort of ‘moving on to the next stage of career’. Which of course is a lot more difficult when you’re a public persona!

On a semi-related note: I also noticed the rebranding of Anne Frankenstein to Deb Grant (Chris the Hawk Hawkins stand-in on the early shift). Not a bad idea, you just wonder what changed that they (the station bosses, the DJ herself) went from “yep, great name” to “oooh, no, don’t like that” over a fairly short period of time

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s a “for 6 music” thing. She’s been Annie MacManus on her social media channels for as long as I have followed her.

scuttler

Annie Mac on Rate My Takeaway

docrobster
    Free Member

I heard her say “me Annie Mac, Annie MacManus” on my way in to work this morning. I thought I was listening to deb grant up until that point. I wondered why too- although I never knew what Mac was short for so it’s good to know. Don’t suppose it matters. Played some good tunes although I also don’t suppose she has anything to do with that. Nice to hear cross town traffic while driving to work in the cross town traffic.

Bring back Lauren though I say. Hope she’s ok. I heard her mum died recently. 🥲

tthew

I also noticed the rebranding of Anne Frankenstein to Deb Grant

Well I didn’t make that connection!

Bring back Lauren though I say. Hope she’s ok. I heard her mum died recently.

I was also wondering why Lauren was having some time off, but Google answered that one for me. This Manchester Guardian article, her mum was a one woman tour de force!

jambourgie
    Free Member

Also,

The Blessed Madonna / The Black Madonna.

Are they the same person? I remember the latter, and indeed have an awesome CD of hers in the car. They both play the same kind of music. Unremarkable name change, or wokery at work? or just separate people/massive coincidence?

stingmered

Annie Mac(manus) is def branching out. She’s writing a book and has written couple of articles in the Guardian recently. Good on her.

desperatebicycle

All I heard was her call Bowie’s TVC One Five, TVC Fifteen and I turned it off. Well, I arrived at the dentist and turned my car off anyway.

mrchrist

I love the northerners of the takeaway guy. Make me smile.

b33k34

Jazz FM presenter Anne Frankenstein reverts to her real name

Every time I hear Annie Mac’s name I immediately think ‘Annie Mac’s Fanny Pack’. Was it just an old Scott Mills thing? https://twitter.com/scott_mills/status/1729205257 I’ve always heard it in my head in Vic Reeve’s voice.

b33k34

I was also wondering why Lauren was having some time off, but Google answered that one for me. This Manchester Guardian article, her mum was a one woman tour de force!

She took some time off a month ago – most likely it’s just school holidays (pretty sure she has a good few weeks off every summer)

tthew

She took some time off a month ago – most likely it’s just school holidays

I don’t know, there’s been quite a few of couple of days or a week off here and there since Glastonbury. I hope she’s OK, obviously the demands of being on radio mean it won’t be apparent when she’s broadcasting. I hope I’m wrong.

RustySpanner

We need to hear more of Afrodeutsche (Henrietta to her mum) on R6.

She offers a great alternative to the usual indie stuff, much more chilled out and eclectic, lots of really interesting ambient and dance based music.

Highly recommended.

chakaping
    Free Member

Black/Blessed Madonna are indeed the same person

And Joey Negro changed his DJ name to Dave Lee.

Bit ignorant to call it “wokery”, they are just being sensitive to the culture in which they work.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Joey Negro wasn’t his name 🤣 It was a pseudonym, amongst others such as Raven Maize, Agora, just off the top of my head. But if they’ve chosen to drop, change names then good for them, whatever. Just didn’t know if they were pressured into doing it for weird woky reasons.

jambourgie
    Free Member

But I’m not surprised he’s dropped that one. He obviously thought it would lend some credence to his music back in the day, but it’s a bit, well ‘Ali G’, middle class white kid from slough pretending they’re from south-central LA type vibe. I’d be a bit cringe about that too. But it’d be sad if it was more the case that he felt pressured to drop it because by using that name makes him a massive, massive racist. And assuming he had to drop the ‘Raven Maize’ moniker to because, well, we all know what colour Ravens are so… he’s clearly literally Hitler. Good DJ though.

binners

We need to hear more of Afrodeutsche (Henrietta to her mum) on R6.

Couldn’t agree more. The best thing on 6 at the moment. I always thought Nemone (full name Nemone Metaxas, apparently) warranted a lot more of a prime time slot too

chakaping
    Free Member

Joey Negro wasn’t his name 🤣 It was a pseudonym

Yes, obviously.

I believe both he and the Black Madonna could see which way the wind was blowing culturally. Her name was shit anyway IMO.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Well yeah 🙂

Still is…

Sandwich

but it’s a bit, well ‘Ali G’, middle class white kid from slough pretending they’re from south-central LA type vibe.

In the light of Tim “Big Dawg” Westwood not a good look to be pushing!

timc
    Free Member
    CountZero

On a semi-related note: I also noticed the rebranding of Anne Frankenstein to Deb Grant (Chris the Hawk Hawkins stand-in on the early shift). Not a bad idea, you just wonder what changed that they (the station bosses, the DJ herself) went from “yep, great name” to “oooh, no, don’t like that” over a fairly short period of time

I was listening the morning when Deb said she was changing back to her real name for radio, she just felt it was more appropriate, and engaging with the audience rather than using a DJ pseudonym.
    Thanks to b33k34 for posting up Deb’s photo, I was going to search for it as I hear her most mornings when she’s on, and I was intrigued as to what she was like; I love her accent, perfect for stupid am alarm calls!

Couldn’t agree more. The best thing on 6 at the moment. I always thought Nemone (full name Nemone Metaxas, apparently) warranted a lot more of a prime time slot too

I, on the other hand, disagree, I have no interest in loads of dance and electro during the day, and I’ll immediately turn off and listen to my own stuff, if possible. That’s not to say I don’t like some of that type of music, but there are entire stations devoted to it, plus a number of programmes entirely put aside for it, the regular presenters mix enough in to keep things interesting.

I’d have thought that Radio OneXtra would have provided all the dance/electro/whatever necessary, as well as all the commercial stations, which I can hear in the other workshops at work, where it’s endless ’doof doof doof doof doofdoofdoofdoofdoofdoof brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr doofdoofdoof…..’ for hour after hour after ****ing hour! 😖

Drives me nuts!

reeksy

I used to listen to Nemone (Electric Ladyland then Six mix) on headphones at work. Found it perfect working music.

nicko74

I love her accent, perfect for stupid am alarm calls!

Agreed – kind of upbeat without being so energetic as to put you off! There’s definitely an art to morning shows.

Del

I’d have thought that Radio OneXtra would have provided all the dance/electro/whatever necessary, as well as all the commercial stations

I’m sure we can agree that 4 piece bands have been under-represented on the radio for the past 70 years… 😉

it’s the good about 6 – don’t like it? give it five minutes.

RustySpanner

I, on the other hand, disagree, I have no interest in loads of dance and electro during the day, and I’ll immediately turn off and listen to my own stuff, if possible. That’s not to say I don’t like some of that type of music, but there are entire stations devoted to it, plus a number of programmes entirely put aside for it, the regular presenters mix enough in to keep things interesting.

You’ve not listened to her have you? 🙂

She plays a bit of everything. Quite a few newer artists from all over the world, lots of cross genre stuff.
    If anything, her show reminds me of something you’d find at 4am on Radio 3 in the 90’s.

Try it.

desperatebicycle

t’s the good about 6 radio – don’t like it? give it five minutes.

turn it off. My default setting anyway.

Obviously, if it hasn’t got guitars (preferably acoustic) and a twee (preferably white and pretty) female singer, CountZero isn’t interested! Haha! (He’ll now take that seriously and provide an essay on how wide his taste has been since 1943.. ) 😀

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.