Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Angina or something more benign?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

So bit of context. 18 months ago I had an angiogram which confirmed a mild blockage in my artery. No symptoms of angina at the time, blockage was around 30% and cardiologist told me not to worry about it, it didn’t cause a blockage to blood flow, and I could continue cycling as hard as I liked. Which I have done. I’m under no illusions that it was 25 years of smoking, various other substances, and a horrific diet that led to the plaque build up

Last night it was freezing cold and whenever my heart rate got to near max I felt a ache in my upper back, more to the right side than the left. There was no chest discomfort, no breathlessness (other than what I’d expect when at 95% max hr). It felt muscular but I was concerned that it seemed to disappear when I eased off even 5%

First time I’ve ever had these symptoms, on my turbo I push ridiculously hard (last week I was 5 beats off max for 10 min) with no ill affects, however I’m concerned the cold weather may be a trigger

Since the angiogram I’ve watched what I eat, my cholesterol is ridiculously low and I’ve exercised religiously alongside taking a low dose statin. I did continue to vape for 7 months and I’m always stressed however.

Dr google tells me that angina in men nearly always has chest pain, and this was a one off. But then again it’s the first time I’ve been genuinely freezing in a bike in some time. Not sure what to do really, I doubt a stress ecg will show anything up if it’s the weather that is triggering it, and it’s unlikely another angiogram would be required so soon after my last one. I think the doc would probably just dismiss as they aren’t the classic signs of angina and it’s only happened once

Not panicking yet, but slightly concerned

therevokid
    Free Member

Sounds very much like my Angina. Middle of the back between the shoulder blades ache. This progresses to a kind of burning sensation a little like “heart burn” in the throat around the adams apple area. I was fine until the ripe old age of 52 and then bang …. no warning signs nothing. now stented in rca, lad, lcx and one of the peripheral ones mm something or other.

I was anything over 110bpm and pains. Having works in a trust I knew the signs to look for and at one point I had the pain in the elbow so lots of alarm bells going off.

Get it checked out NOW.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Well that’s worrying! It didn’t spread anywhere else however…

Surely a 30% blockage that developed over 30 years of unhealthy living can’t suddenly grow to become so significant that it causes angina?

tthew

Shouldn’t you be having an annual re-check to see how it’s progressing? That 30% might have occurred over 5 years, not 30. I’m all for not bothering the NHS unnecessarily, but I’d be wanting to know how fast any change was.

I am definitely not a doctor.

alanf
    Free Member

Surely a 30% blockage that developed over 30 years of unhealthy living can’t suddenly grow to become so significant that it causes angina?

I’m not sure it quite works like that. There is potential for plaques to break away and make the blockage worse rather than just slow steady build up, although that can also happen.
    My angina was the heart burn, burning throat sensation which most definitely wasn’t acid reflux. Resulted in MI and a ride in a helicopter and stent in the 95% blocked artery (all the others were clear). Better to get yourself checked I reckon before there is a sudden worsening as in my case. It may be unrelated but worth knowing and not worrying about it.

rhayter

Get it checked out NOW.

Totally this. I had three stents fitted (installed? inserted?) 10 years ago. I had no symptoms until being unable to keep up with my wife, walking our dog. No pain, no high blood pressure. How heart disease presents varies tremendously from person to person. A good friend of mine thought he had acid reflux – and his GP was treating him for it – as he was getting chest and back pain when was on his bike, climbing. Turns out they were mini heart attacks (so the pain was angina) and he needed a quadruple by-pass. DO NOT MUCK ABOUT, GO TO A DOCTOR. PLEASE. You may be fine – I’ve had angina-like chest pain that turned out be muscle strain. But it’s better to know for sure.

Dr Google is a ****. The algorithm is not your friend.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

was anything over 110bpm and pains.

‘kin hell! I hit 110 pushing the lawn mower around.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Ok well responses so far haven’t been exactly confidence inspiring !

Nhs site says angina symptoms are usually repeatable and consistent. Ie, same level of exertion bring on similar symptoms.

Was this the exp of everyone who has been diagnosed with it?

onehundredthidiot

phone nhs 24, theyll go through the checklist then make a call. i had chest pains called nhs24 was in hospital 40 mins later, no issues thankfully.

martinhutch

Nhs site says angina symptoms are usually repeatable and consistent. Ie, same level of exertion bring on similar symptoms.

Not all angina is stable and predictable in terms of effort vs symptoms. You need to get it checked out.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Get it checked out!
    And learn to manage that stress! Stress can cause all kinds of mischief even in a healthy heart.
    I was stented half a dozen times 15 years ago, then had a double bypass, put on meds long term.
    Now drug free, and more importantly, Stress Free!
    Eat healthily, take up yoga, whatever works for you…

teamslug
    Free Member

My business partner who is 56 and fit, as in this years London Marathon sub 4 hours, has started having pains when he’s really pushing, same sort of pain and got to the point where he had to stop til the pain eased. He’s had various tests and has a treadmill test at hospital on Thursday. You need to see a doc, and log times, exertion levels etc so they have some data.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Going to contact the cardiologist I saw previously tomorrow and pay for a private consultation.

90 % sure it’s muscular rather than a cardiac issue, but I’ll see what he says. As everyone says, it’s something you probably don’t want to cock around with. Will avoid any kind of effort on bike until then

Disappointing as I’m mid training plan and finally coming into some form. My powered numbers are as good as they’ve ever been so hopefully can get some kind of diagnosis asap and get back to it, even if I have to pay through the nose for it

rhayter

it’s something you probably don’t want to cock around with

Not probably, definitely.

Keeping fingers crossed for you.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.