Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Andy McNab – are all his books this rubbish? And what can I read instead?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

If you like factual war type stuff then ‘Sniper One’ by Dan Mills is excellent.

johndoh
    Free Member

He’s just rescued two young children after embarking the train via the toilet. Quite appropriate given how shit the book is. Never again will I read such dross.

moonsaballoon

I am pilgrim is worth a go for an easy read spy thriller.

lemoncoughdrops
    Free Member

Game of Thrones!

brant
    Free Member

Tim Moore

funkmasterp

Lighthearted easy reading? Bill Bryson.

This for me too

windysurfer
    Free Member

Harlan Coben are worth a try

WillH

As above, the early McNab books are quite good. Having read the Amazon blurb for the one the OP is currently reading, it sounds like he’s just churning out Hollywood screenplay fodder now. The early ones (Nick Stone series) are a lot darker and go into a lot of technical detail about stuff. I read most of them ages ago and am thinking of re-reading them once I’ve finished re-reading the Discworld series (current up to Eric, so still some way to go… Guards! Guards! had me laughing out loud in places. Can’t wait to get to Men at Arms as I recall it being a cracker) and very much recommend those too.

BillMC

‘Most Secret War’ RV Jones

Cletus

I enjoyed the first half dozen Nick Stone books but after that the quality dipped imo. I have read the book the OP commented one and struggled to finish it

George McDonald Fraser’s Flashman series are my normal recommendation for people wanting a series of books to read.

pondo

The first couple or three Nick Stone books were great – gritty, enthralling with really interesting detail, but I totally agree with an earlier poster who said that different stories were shoehorned into the same story, first few books will do you. I really enjoyed his autobio stuff but YMMV.

ourmaninthenorth

Hemingway.

Disarmingly easy to read. Some of the best literature ever created.

takisawa2

Sounds like you need to discover Clive Cussler’s Dirk Pitt novels. Don’t bother with the latter ones, written by anyone willing to have a go, stick to the early ones: “Sahara”, “Inca Gold”, “Raise the Titanic” etc. Ok, they are a bit predictable, & a but James Bond, but they are well written & the plots are good fun. Perfect for half an hours daydreaming until your train gets in.

If you want the best then there is only one Frederick Forsyth. Start with “Day of the Jacksl”. But bare with it though. Forsyth spends a lot of time & effort setting the scene & the characters. The attention to detail is excellent though, &, bar one or two, I’ve enjoyed everything I’ve read of his.

pondo

Clive Cussler? Seriously? Terrible – me dad loved em, didn’t work for me. Dogfight between a Catalina flying boat and a WWI Albatross, where the Catalina loops the loop? Don’t mind a bit of suspension of disbelief, but don’t take the p!ss!

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

+ one on michael connelly
    The Lincoln lawyer or detective Harry Bosch books, fast reads and entertaining, crime around Los Angeles,

Also recently got into Tom wood Viktor assassin series

If you haven’t already read mario Puzo (godfather) and Robert Ludlum the bourne trilogy are brilliant (and as an added bonus) you won’t have to read the later drivel that some big sellers are currently churning out

John Grisham first book a time to kill and other early works are quality reads too

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Most Secret War – good call – cracking book.

sarawak
    Free Member

Hemingway.

Disarmingly easy to read. Some of the best literature ever created.

Indeed. Or Steinbeck.

MSP

P G Woodhouse

Sherlock Homes and Flemings James Bond novels are also easy reads

bikebouy
    Free Member

Or, if you are really struggling..

Kahurangi

For a hilarious but fairly large book, try A PRAYER FOR OWEN MEANY by John Irving (of the Cider House Rules fame).

I really need to read it again!

Like Boba Fett, I can’t be done with reading any more Haruki Murakami (I did enjoy the Wind Up Bird Chronicle but Norwegian Wood left me in a bad place) and same for Thomas Hardy. Thought We Need to Talk About Kevin was ok though.

Otherwise I’ll try anything I’ve heard of that’s on sale for 99p on the Kindle Store. Stephen King, Bernard Cornwell (Sharpe), James Bond….

It might have been thanks to a link on here that I signed up for BookBub, which is a daily/weekly email list of cheap e-books.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Andy McNab – are all his books this rubbish? And what can I read instead?’ is closed to new replies.