Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • android yahoo mail app background/ foreground ..beware data usage after Nougat
  • kaiser
    Free Member

Just used up all my meagre data allowance of 750 mb in 2 weeks . it’s never ever happened before as I don’t stream /watch videos or do anything data intensive unless at home on wifi.
    Anyhow..couldn’t understand what was going on so investigated further and found that the yahoo mail app had used approx 100mb of foreground data but 500mb of background. Not really sure what this background data is and i’ve been using the app for ages and had no trouble. I recently upgraded to Nougat and i’m wondering whether that has caused it?
    I’ve now disabled “background data” consumption unless on wifi which i’d not even been aware of till today so hopefully that’ll sort it.
    WTF is all this background data yahoo has sucked out of my allowance?
    anyone had the same trouble?

mattyfez

Sounds a lot, has the app updated itself recently, is it checking with the servers for new email every 5 seconds or something?

Cougar

Most modern email servers are push (they send the data) rather than pull (you go and get it periodically). It’s Yahoo though so gods only know. I’d probably just use a different mail client TBH, you don’t have to use a given provider’s app.

A quick Google would suggest it’s not an uncommon problem, there’s posts going back years with people complaining. There’s a suggestion that the Yahoo app downloads news feeds and other webby stuff as well, dunno if that’s still the case.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Try setting up your yahoo as an account in the Gmail app and see if it sorts your issues. I prefer this as it still keeps the inboxes separate but you can view combined

CraigW
    Free Member

Or try K9 Mail, it has loads of options for how frequently to check for new mail etc.

cp

Highly recommended bluemail as your email client. Really good.

Alphabet

I’ve used k9 for a few years and used to recommend it but recently it seems to have stopped receiving emails. I’ve switched to Bluemail last week and so far it seems excellent.

kaiser
    Free Member

thanks all going to try bluemail

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘android yahoo mail app background/ foreground ..beware data usage after Nougat’ is closed to new replies.