Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Android phones, Rooting, ROMs, Launchers and other tinkering.
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Seeing as there’s always discussion about custom ROMs on here whenever there’s a Android Vs iOS argument I thought this was as good a place as any to ask.

I’ve just bought a Ulefone Power*, so assuming the warranty will be close to worthless if anything were to go wrong I’d like to have a play around. Biggest gripe is the quality of English, 99% is fine, but occasionally there’s a menu or a setting which is just laughable so reverting to stock android would be a start, that and the icon packs are all a bit cheap looking. But without losing the fingerprint un-lock (which I don’t think android natively supports?) or the dedicated camera shutter button (why don’t all phones have this?).

Is there a good resource for reading up on this, and a repository of ROMs, launchers, and the like that have been checked for malicious code so it doesn’t accidentally end up as part of bot net trying to hack china or something daft?

*with a wooden back, how cool is that, take that Apple with your glass/aluminium/gold/whatever!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Finger print stuff is supported in 6 use it on my nexus. Some banking aps etc don’t like rooted phones though

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Cyanogen has got to be the stock answer hasn’t it.

nickjb
    Free Member

Cyanogen has got to be the stock answer hasn’t it.

That was my though. Not used a modded rom for a while but when I did that was the go-to

Start here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/

teethgrinder

Got CM13 on my STW-approved Moto G 4G (mk1). It’s awesome and loads faster than before. I also dropped the Facebook and Messenger apps and that helped massively.

mogrim

My phone (Wileyfox Swift) came with Cyanogen, works well – stable and fast. I’ve used other launchers but they always end up irritating me, usually due to the adverts, or boring me. YMMV.

Edit: launchers on top of Android or Cyanogen, of course.

mattyfez

The xda forum is the definitive resource for anything to do with custom android /roms etc.

Although it’s not exactly light reading if you’re not familiar with rooting etc. But if you’re competent with Windows and simple command line stuff it’s not too bad.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Android phones, Rooting, ROMs, Launchers and other tinkering.’ is closed to new replies.