Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 164 total)
  • And still BP's…
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I read them all.

http://www.hazards.org/bp/

http://blog.riskmetrics.com/esg/2010/04/bp-spill-safety-record.html

Environmental and safety record

In recent years, BP has had one of the worst safety records of any oil company. Two US BP oil refineries accounted for 97 percent of all “egregious willful violations” issued by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration to any offenders from June 2007 to February 2010, according to an analysis by the Center for Public Integrity watchdog group. The two refineries are located in Texas City, Texas and Toledo, Ohio. According to OSHA’s database, the citations included 760 “willful egregious citations”, 69 “willful citations”, and 30 “serious citations.” In the report, Jordan Barab, deputy assistant secretary of labor at OSHA, said “The only thing you can conclude is that BP has a serious, systemic safety problem in their company." [71][72]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/energy/oilandgas/6470162/BP-fined-record-87m-for-life-threatening-safety-failings.html

Apparently I'm an ill informed ranting idiotic tw4t that know nothing though…

MS – Materials Engineering, Swansea 1994-97 – carry on ranting little man.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mat, you've become a WELL informed ranting idiot.. take a step back!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Surf-Mat – Member
    cynic – self ownage? Are you a complete retard? I don't need to ask really do I?

I do need to ask what on earth you are trying to say in that post.

Looks like i need to explain. You are getting a proper roasting from all sides on this thread after wandering about the place arguing with whoever will listen and telling everyone how great your life is etc.

I'd call that classic self-pwnage, and asking me if I am a retard hardly deflects my point. This internet forum arguing really makes me laugh sometimes.

SammySammSamm
    Free Member

YEAH.

Mark

At the moment we are at the 'warning' stage. Lets not go any further.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Hang on al – so would I be right in thinking you're just taking the opportunity to have a pop (just like a number of others keyboard warriors) because I have somehow upset you? Please point out a SINGLE example of me telling everyone how great my life is on this thread? There isn't one is there?

You've just taken it upon yourself to carefully look for opportunities to have a go because you are sat behind a keyboard and have found someone that actually does stuff rather than just bleating about it. Your username speaks volumes – the "crazy" forum cynic who loves to be confrontational.

What are you like in real life? What do you do? I can take very educated guesses.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Sorry Mark but if you can't stand a little debate then ban away. I really couldn't give a stuff if you think this thread requires a warning.

It's the internet, not primary school.

Cheerio.

yossarian
    Free Member

Matt – for the very last time:

BP is a global company and has a very good reputation for health & safety in the industry. OSHA have been on BP's case in the states since the Texas city explosion.

You can choose to ignore what a number of oil and gas safety professionals are telling you on this thread if you wish, none of us have an axe to grind with you (well, i certainly don't). I have absolutely no desire to defend BP or any other company if critisism about their safety management is justified. In this case it isn't.

oh and listen to molgrips, he is talking more sense than anyone else

cynic-al
    Free Member

Matt I didn't say you'd said anything about your life on this thread did I? I was referring to other posts.

As for having a pop, my point is you come across as pretty much like the folk you are having a go at on here. Would you really need to have a go at them if you were such a "do-er"? You've upset the mods now – QED.

In real life I am not as argumentative for sure, it's less fun. And I've been pretty lazy recently for sure.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

So do I come across as a BP executive somehow?! Now that is odd.

Fair enough on the other points and TBH, I love a good debate, even if no one agrees with me 😉

bol

You really are a twit Matt

cynic-al
    Free Member

Booo! He's become a bit reasonable!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Thank you Oli. Now please tell me about MTB riding in Norfolk… 😉

Norfolk's topography is largely gentle and understated, but it is by no means as flat as is often claimed. Bounded on three sides by the sea and the Wash fenlands, its subtle diversity and beauty is matched by a fascinating human heritage. People can live almost anywhere in the county except on the marshlands:

EXTREME MTB TERRAIN MAAAN!

Now about those Dutch downhill skiers…

bol

I just can't take it when someone insults my local topography!

I refer you to my previous post.

Pauly

STEP AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD NOW PLEASE

WOULD EVERYONE PLEASE STEP AWAAAAY FROM THE KEYBOARD

Thank-you.

Northwind

I know nothing about oil. But I'm concerned that Surf Mat might use up the world's entire supply of inverted commas at this rate.

ahwiles
    Free Member

actually, i have to confess that the deepwater Horizon cock-up is my fault.

it's true, i did it. every time i complain about high oil prices (whilst filling up on my way to the alps), everytime i complain about expensive food, and expensive shiny bike bits, i'm piling on a bit more pressure to oil companies to drill a little deeper, cut a few corners, and explore ever more marginal oil fields.

we can punish BP, we can talk about all the things that went wrong, but the truth is, the biggest mistake that BP made was running out of luck.

why do you think BP are even attempting to extract oil from beneath a mile of ocean? – because I told them to.

why would BP cut corners? – because I told them to.

and it's your fault too, all of you.

we will carry on using oil, and we will carry on saying that we care about the environment, and we will carry on buying the cheapest fuel we can find.

we're all hypocrites.

sleep easy now.

X

jon1973
    Free Member

Well Said ahwiles

Changing the subject. What 4×4 All Terrain Vehicle would you recommend for the school run?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

So if we all buy clothes (us evil consumers) then we all support Far Eastern sweatshops, even if we don't ever buy from companies that use them?

If we buy food, we support massive scale overseas intensive farming even if we never buy from anywhere (when possible) but local UK produce?

What an utterly stupid argument that by consuming oil then this disaster is "our fault" – some of you really are completely daft.

Yes we live in a capitalist world but we still have CHOICE. Glad to see many of you have fallen for the BS spun by the few – the few that make a fortune out of the rather gullible many.

If higher oil prices mean safer practises, I'll happily pay them. If it means some suffer from the rises, so be it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

That's "practices".

aracer
    Free Member

So if we all buy clothes (us evil consumers) then we all support Far Eastern sweatshops, even if we don't ever buy from companies that use them?

If we buy food, we support massive scale overseas intensive farming even if we never buy from anywhere (when possible) but local UK produce?
    Not at all. In both cases, since you presumably know the source of what you're buying then it would be silly to blame you for things which don't occur as part of that supply chain.

Can you be so sure the same is the case when you buy fuel, or anything else which relies on oil? If you really are happy to pay more for oil then you might be excused, but I'm not convinced you've actually thought such a stance through properly.

I could of course just be a keyboard warrior and know nothing at all about global economic practices, but please present your credentials before you start questioning mine.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I could of course just be a keyboard warrior and know nothing at all about global economic practices, but please present your credentials before you start questioning mine.

Please point out where I have questioned your credentials?

I would be happy to pay more for fuel if it meant better safety for the environment.

As for sourcing oil/fuel – I don't use BP for my fuel. However they may supply oil for other raw materials which I use – I plan to find out who they supply and try to avoid this.

I like the way there is a special breed of keyboard warrior on here – too scared to even post under a user name, they insult by tagging a thread.

Oh very dear.

Get a spine some of you.

aracer
    Free Member

Please point out where I have questioned your credentials?

Given you seemed to be questioning everybody else's I thought I might as well get my defence in early.

As for sourcing oil/fuel – I don't use BP for my fuel.

Where do you get your fuel from then? Do you have a fully certified supply chain? I suggest you also check out where the shops you use get fuel for their delivery trucks.

Futureboy77

I think a lot of people here are keyboard warriors who just love to try and one up people behind the safety of their keyboards while they try and avoid doing their IT admin jobs.

I think if you go back to an earlier post, i stated that i'm a Quality, Health, Safety & Environmental Advisor for an oil exploration drilling company.

Makes me quite possibly more qualified to comment than you….no?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Like the scab you cannot stop itching i decided to check up on this after my ride and i honestly cannot believe they banned such a bright button from bikeradar – were your ideas as radical there ?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Makes me quite possibly more qualified to comment than you….no?

For your company, yes, for others – quite possibly not. Think of a Jaguar engineer commenting on a Mercedes…

And sorry for not specifically naming you in my "qualified" list earlier – it clearly hurt your feelings.

Aracer – in most cases yes I do know. And for those I don't know about, I'll find out.

Anyway good to know that 95% of you here think this disaster is just a by product of our greed for oil. Good to know you plan to do nothing about it but explain it away with dubious "facts."

Good to know that none of you gives a flying **** while at the same time attempting to belittle (and failing dismally) someone that does give a sh1t.

If only everyone was like all of you eh?

Futureboy77

For your company, yes, for others – quite possibly not. Think of a Jaguar engineer commenting on a Mercedes…

Assuming that is aimed at me…i'll quantify with an earlier statement:

I've experienced the safety attitude and performance of most operators and BP are up there with the best (although admitedly, none are perfect), within the regions i have covered.

You really have no idea do you? Keep surfing dude and ignore the reality of the world around you!!!

And sorry for not specifically naming you in my "qualified" list earlier – it clearly hurt your feelings

Actually, i didn't notice. I'm quite secure…so don't worry 'bout me! 😀

MS
    Free Member

Exactly what are we meant to do? Take BP to the cleaners, and make them bust? That would result in thousands of jobs lost.

Supporting BP to clean up the oil, find out why it happened and learn from it is the sensible route rather than boycotting them all together.

But what would I know, i'm just a student afterall! 😆

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

I think I agree with Surf_Mat – It would be a good thing if there were fewer people like him and more like me.

I think it's about time that the US bore the brunt of some of the detrimental environmental effects of it's oil usage policies.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

So future – did you not click on ANY of my links about BPs safety record? Are you blind? It would appear so.

I found this link interesting even if it's not the most reliable source:

http://mashable.com/2010/06/08/bp-oil-spill-google/

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Seems like an eminently sensible thing for BP to do.

MS
    Free Member

Surf, the article shows that BP have shown initiative. Losing millions per day, so if they can get some money back all be it from there oil spill i think that is a great idea.

I think it would be very amusing if Transocean were actually the ones that were to blame, would you still have the same opinion of BP then? (just a question).

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

So surf-mat – what do you suggest they should have done? Bearing in mind that the time machine hasnt been invented yet.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I just said that article was interesting – I didn't comment any further.

My issue is with the appearance of greater concern for shareholders dividends by BP's senior execs than of sorting out the oil spill. Accidents happen, it's a dangerous industry, things go wrong.

But to then very publicly announce such great concern on dividend payments while spending months unsuccessfully attempting to correct the error is in pretty poor taste.

Sure once the spill is cleaned up (if it ever is) then shout about investors worries but while it's still happening, how about channelling every single company resource available into fixing it?

I'll leave it there for now – for a similar debate just go:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/apps/application.php?id=131375213543094&ref=ts

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

You just dont get it do you!

MS
    Free Member

Surely channeling every company resource into it would make it worse. Its not money that is the problem.

The two relief wells being drilled at the moment are imo the solution in the long term, but they will take time, you can't speed them up no matter how much money you throw at them. BP have to manage the ongoing drama, they have tries many different things and will keep trying until a temporary fix is in place.

Throwing money at it isn't wise, and you need the shareholders to believe that they will get money back in the future, its still a business afterall!

aracer
    Free Member

If you want BP to fix it, then you also want BP to remain viable in the long term. That involves them working on PR amongst other things. Given they doubtless already employ PR people, what do you want them to do exactly, redeploy the PR people to help fix the leak?

trail_rat
    Free Member

News just in …… Where killing a well with mud doesnt work …..pump money in – but only greenbacks ….

Have heard of tennis balls and coveralls being pumped down to control a well but money …. You should patent that ill let you have it for free…..

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

The trouble with the tree hugging hippy element of the environmental debate is that they dont actually live in the real world. If we were to do everything they say we would all be dead.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

I think Surf-Mats concern is with how BP are handling the PR aspect, and they are doing a terrible job, mainly because of cultural differences in American board rooms vs British board rooms. I think he must comprehend that BP needs to maintain shareholder confidence in order to remain viable and come through this, its just that the messages their PR machine are putting out should be very very different, they really should have hired some American consultants to help Tony Hayward with the American audience. I think if they had a better PR team then Surf-Mat, and 320M Americans would be a lot happier.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 164 total)

The topic ‘And still BP's…’ is closed to new replies.