• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by merk.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • AMS frame protection
  • merk
    Free Member

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of using AMS frame protection? I’m looking for something to prevent my new carbon frame from picking up scuffs and scratches that isn’t going to be a complete pain to apply.

AMS looks like it might be the one although I’m a little concerned that the honeycomb form of the plastic will end up looking dog rough after a couple of mud/grit heavy rides.

Cheers

muggomagic

I always thought the AMS stuff would be better for rock strikes etc as it’s applied on the bottom or top of the tubes.
    It’s expensive and can be a PITA to apply but if you want to keep the frame looking great then invisiframe really is very good. I’ve a 2 year old YT Capra that has done a lot of miles and in some pretty horrible conditions at times, and the frame still looks in really good nick thanks to the invisiframe.

benpinnick

AMS Stays looking good for a long time. Longer than anything else Ive used but only bother with clear or black or variants therein. The colours look rough after a while. It doesnt do curves that well though, so best used on straighter edged tubes. Normal curvature is UK, but it wont do kinks or round sharp corners on tube profiles.

brownsauce
    Free Member

Bought the AMS XL kit and plastered my frame with it.

Much thicker and harder than any vinyl based sheeting.

Dont bother with patterned styles if you have a dark colour frame , the design print wont show through with a dark colour underneath.

Application straightforward , just use heatgun to warm up when laying onto bends \ curves

Best suited for downtube toptube and seatpost areas where the bike gets the worst scuffs.

Still looks good after a year

letmetalktomark

I have and do still use it.

It’s great stuff in terms of fending off knocks from flying debris but probably overkill for general scuff protection.

I’ve had no issue with dirt creep or pealing.

As others have said sharp or well defined corners are a no no.

As a side I fitted a non specific kit from these guys yesterday to protect a frame from a frame bag >>> https://www.cannonballbikefilm.com/ Really nice to work with kit and came with all the bits needed to apply. One of the tubes on the frame goes from round to almost triangular and the tape appears to have worked well.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Got an XL kit for the bike I had before, had it on for an year, current owner still has the same kit on.

Yes, they are marginally more “cushy” than regular vinyl tape, yes it seems to hold up well over time, and yes, some of the designs might look cool if one’s into that, but I can’t help but think it’s way overpriced for the actual coverage it provides.
    I won’t buy one again, unless they significantly bump up the area of coverage in the kits.

Meanwhile, if the main point is actually protecting the frame, for the same price one can get a nice 3M 8671HS tape roll, which together with some love will much more comprehensive protection

Nick

My new Cotic FlareMax is invisiframed, personally I wouldn’t look at anything else, I didn’t fit it – Lee did it himself as he hadn’t seen a 3rd gen frame, but with care and following instructions I don’t think it’s too hard, frame needs to be spotlessly clean, I had to look at my new bike for two weeks before it was done which was pretty tough!

muggomagic

I had to look at my new bike for two weeks before it was done which was pretty tough!

Wow, that’s a proper self control! I’d never have lasted that long. In fact not being able to ride a new bike for 24hrs after it’s been fitted is bad enough.

The other good thing about invisiframe is that the material kind of self repairs little scuffs and scratches (so long as they’re not completely through to the frame) which means the bike continues to look good.
    My Capra looks way better close up compared to my other bike that I didn’t invisiframe which is only 11 months old.

merk
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I’ve ordered the clear XL pack. I need something to protect my stays from my shoes as much as anything. The downtube has protection bolted on already.

Invisframe looks like the gold standard but I don’t have the steady hand (or the patience) to avoid making a pig’s ear of it! Finding someone to fit it in lockdown doesn’t seem ideal either.

frogstomp

I’ve used it in addition to Invisiframe for extra protection in areas that are likely to get more abuse.

Just be aware that it’s very sticky so you can’t really peel it off and reposition it if you get it wrong. The colour / pattern also peels away if you try and take it off.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’ve got it on my Slash. It’s pretty thick and tough and the edges are quite thick and sharp.

Easy enough to apply too and loads of patters and designs if your bike is the right colour.

endomick
    Free Member

What about HKT frame protection instead of AMS, I don’t think that’s honeycomb textured.

merk
    Free Member

I did look at HKT especially as they are relatively local (Sheffield). Availability isn’t great though and HKT’s office is shut for the lockdown

merk
    Free Member

Quick update, I applied my kit yesterday indoors with the central heating turned up to assist.

I’m pretty impressed so far. It looks pretty robust and went on quite easily. The clear pack is also pretty invisible which is what I wanted.

I ordered direct from AMS in Spain and it arrived within 2 days. I paid for express delivery but that’s pretty impressive in the current circumstances.

Time will tell if it stands up to abuse.

merk
    Free Member

Just realized I use the word “pretty” a lot…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘AMS frame protection’ is closed to new replies.