Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 141 total)
  • Amazon, Starbucks et al 'Tax chat' with parliament
  • scuttler

HMG: You don’t pay much tax in the UK do you?
    Tax_dodgers: We pay what we are required to pay
    HMG: Oh OK. Carry on

Just like the energy suppliers whitewash last year. Ad infinitum.

Still hopefully there will be some good tea and biscuits.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I wonder if Margaret Hodge will be in attendance.

binners

The bit about it that really boils my piss, is them indignantly asserting that they pay tax as they pay PAYE. NO YOU ****ING DON’T!!! YOUR EMPLOYEES DO!!! THAT’S NOT THE SAME THING, YOU UTTER ****S!!!!

TooTall
    Free Member

Between them not paying tax and the MPs taking the proverbial, it doesn’t really look as if either side is likely to do the right thing unless at gunpoint.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Don’t think many folk would pay more than the minimum they were required to pay.

binners

If you missed this in yesterday’s Observer, its worth a read. The privatised water companies, all now owned by venture capitalists, all making enormous profits, paying their shareholders huge dividends and awarding themselves massive bonuses, all based in Tax Havens, and paying no tax

Seems it really is only the little people paying tax

🙄

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Don’t think many folk would pay more than the minimum they were required to pay.

But not many of us go out of our way to (putting it generously) “selectively interpret” tax regulations in dubious, under-the-radar, or plain underhand ways.

Junkyard
    Free Member

What Biiners say but we should also introduce a sales tax for any compnay below a certain % – if they dont like it leave

What we forget is that the businesses are often in competition with locally owned cafes or shops who pay tax and ata higher rate than them as well

Its just taking our money out the country to line the pockets of the allready wealth

FFS starbucks makes a loss on paper in the UK but is still opening shops here – lying ****

Should not be allowed

Only little people pay tax

ormondroyd
    Free Member

These companies have each carved out a large segment of their bits of our economy. Fair play to them I guess, but they could at least play nicely.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i dont think many folk would pay for the food from tesco or fuel for their cars if we did not make them.

What is your point caller?
    Seriously what is your point?

grum
    Free Member

But not many of us go out of our way to (putting it generously) “selectively interpret” tax regulations in dubious, under-the-radar, or plain underhand ways.

Or get to have cosy chats/make deals with senior people in the HMRC about what we think we might like to pay, rather than just getting a bill, with threats attached if it’s not paid.

matt_outandabout

The point is that the tax system is arse about face.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Correction.

HMG: You don’t pay much tax in the UK do you?
    Tax_dodgers: We pay what we are required to pay
    HMG: OK, then we’ll change the rules
    Tax_dodgers: You can’t, you’d be in breach of EU tax legislation, which you’ve surrendered sovereignty on, and are therefore constitutionally bound by.
    HMG: Bugger!

grum
    Free Member

The point is that the tax system is arse about face.

The tax system is unlikely to be able to keep up with large corporations employing much more expensive accountants and lawyers to avoid paying their fair share of tax. What happened to the concept of corporate social responsibility?

Edit – oh yeah, let’s pretend the Tories would just love to make big companies pay fair taxes if it wasn’t for the evil EU. 🙄

D0NK

corporate social what?

wrecker
    Free Member

What happened to the concept of corporate social responsibility?

Good point Grum.
    The Starbucks responsibility page states;

We’ve always believed that businesses can – and should – have a positive impact on the communities they serve.

In large font. You couldn’t make it up. This isn’t about the tories though. It’s been going on for years.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

oh yeah, let’s pretend the Tories would just love to make big companies pay fair taxes if it wasn’t for the evil EU

http://www.slaughterandmay.com/media/1755403/cfc-focus-cfc-reform-and-the-eu.pdf

grum
    Free Member

In large font. You couldn’t make it up. This isn’t about the tories though. It’s been going on for years.

Yup fair point.

I struggle with long sentences, and I doubt you have either.

Stoner
    Free Member

In the US there’s something called the AMT (Aternative Minimum Tax) which is used to set a minimum threshold for tax to avoid wealthy people using allowances to reduce their tax burden too far. If the tax calculation that their arrangements put in place were to throw-up less than the AMT amount then they pay the AMT amount. Im sure it’s difficult to implement but maybe something that automatically sets a floor of say, 3% of locally derived turnover, might work?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Grum, you really should, you might learn something 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

I hate the EU stopping all these socially responsible companies from payingmore tax the bastards

Do the EU eat babies and kill fluffy kittens as well as talking foreign?

Stoner I would be less generous I would give them a rate the same as the locally owned micro business round the corner then stop them trading here if they dont pay the same

It is the rich [investors etc] taking from the poor as the taxes have to come from somewhere and if it was a local business it would stay in the country

the best thing would be for folk to buycott the companies for their taxation policies but that is the least likely outcome

the public get what they deserve

nealglover
    Free Member

If the rules changed (if its possible) and Starbucks buggered off (as some people seem to claim they will if forced to pay tax!) they will be replaced by independent coffee shops.

Better for everyone.

grum
    Free Member

Grum, you really should, you might learn something

Why don’t you summarise the key points for me, seeing as you’ve read it?

allthepies
    Free Member

Apparently Starbucks UK reported a loss of £32.9m 🙄

Meanwhile, Starbucks UK pay some offshore Starbucks company shedloads of £££ for the right to use the name and pay inflated prices for the same coffee which another offshore Starbucks company bought.

algarvebairn
    Free Member

The bit about it that really boils my piss, is them indignantly asserting that they pay tax as they pay PAYE. NO YOU ****ING DON’T!!! YOUR EMPLOYEES DO!!! THAT’S NOT THE SAME THING, YOU UTTER ****S!!!

They do pay 13.8% employer’s NIC which is something I suppose.

binners

In the taking-the-piss stakes, charging yourself tens of millions a year, licensing your own name back to yourself is a sure-fire winner

Junkyard
    Free Member

Grum its only 3 pages long – the UK law may not comply yet but it will after discussions
    The cadbury schweeps ruling trumps everything [ ie what they are doing is legal as they can shift it[money] to another subsidary to minimise tax even though all the sales were in the UK – two other bits of legislation get mentioned
    I suspect you need to be a tax lawyer to get the article though

wrecker
    Free Member

In the taking-the-piss stakes, charging yourself tens of millions a year, licensing your own name back to yourself is a sure-fire winner

😀

Starbucks UK = -£30 odd million loss
    Starbucks *low/nil tax country* = £100s millions profit!
    Bang tidy.

binners

They also stress that they pay VAT to the treasury. No you don’t! You charge VAT on your products, which you then hold before handing over to HMRC. Its your customers who actually PAY the VAT

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

well, except where you give the Luxembourg government 3% vat, then discount the price you’ve paid to the UK publisher by the full 20% VAT rate like Amazon were doing with their E-book’s 😈

higgo
    Free Member

They almost certainly have a legal responsibility to maximise profit for their share-holders. So, once they know they can ‘use’ the tax system, they must.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I am sure that in this debate that no one (especially The Guardian journos) is ignoring the difference between tax accounting and financial reporting. Or that a deferred tax liability is not a method of tax avoidance and that they (def tax liabilities) generally result specifically from attempts to encourage investment in capital intensive industries such as water. *

And at that point, if we feel unhappy at the outcome that the correct people are being criticised. 😉

Ofwat has a publically available framework that describes how water companies must balance different objectives. Returns to investors are only one of these 8 factors.

* sometimes folk should consider carefully what they ask/wish for!

andyrm
    Free Member

They almost certainly have a legal responsibility to maximise profit for their share-holders. So, once they know they can ‘use’ the tax system, they must.

This is actually a very good point.

I know we always hears lots about big companies and rich people should pay more, why don’t we have flat rates for all?

Surely our skewed systems for both personal and commercial taxation are what drives minimisation programmes? If everyone paid the same percentage of revenue in the case of companies, and income in the case of people, it would be much harder to try and manipulate figures.

Just a thought – unless there are some economists who can explain why we don’t?

davidjones15
    Free Member

The main issue for me isn’t that it’s just the big corporations, there is so much more that doesn’t make a sexy headline.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20157878.
    Fortunately it’s easy to make the decision that Starbucks, Barclays and Vodafone don’t get a single penny of my money in their quest of making themselves even wealthier.
    Large groups of smaller tax evaders is a bit more difficult to react against but no better in the grand scheme of things, in my opinion.

Stoner
    Free Member

Thing is most large corporations are owned by “us” anyway – through our insurance companies and pension funds. And so “we” benefit from the higehr profitability/lower taxes. Although obviously along the way there’s one or two taking a nice cut 🙂

However, private equity holdings are just that. Private money making returns as efficiently for tax as possible. Burn’em! 😈

mefty
    Free Member

However, private equity holdings are just that. Private money making returns as efficiently for tax as possible. Burn’em!

Apart from the pension funds that invest in private equity funds.

Stoner
    Free Member

Indeedy

jambalaya
    Free Member

The companies don’t make the rules, the government does.

I just love Cameron’s “I’ve asked HMRC to look into this” – why ? YOU make the rules, HMRC are just trying to do their best wading through them.

Google, Amazon, Facebook, Apple etc etc all exploit a feature of tax legislation (ie loophole) so large you can drive a bus through it.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

All the HMRC offices were sold off to a ‘management company’ based in a tax haven. You couldn’t make it up.

This company is now on the brink of bankrupcy, in which case the HMRC could be thrown out of their own offices. Top notch.

Stoner
    Free Member

This company is now on the brink of bankrupcy, in which case the HMRC could be thrown out of their own offices. Top notch.

Not true. Their leases have security of tenure, but the bundled FM services and prices that have effectively been “paid for in advance” will disappear.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘Amazon, Starbucks et al 'Tax chat' with parliament’ is closed to new replies.