Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Amazon Alternative for Consumer electronics
  • johnx2
    Free Member

I do use Amazon (as well as pretty much all the alternatives listed above (plus say Ikea are great for lights and dimmer switches etc) but notice that prices are rarely the cheapest and the way they rank things is somewhat opaque. If you know exactly what you want you can usually find it elsewhere cheaper. Who here’s bought a bike from Amazon?

But Amazon are really really easy to buy from – click and that’s it and get it next day. Contrast with say Decathlon where you can fail repeatedly at the last hurdle because something’s not in stock for apparently random reasons. Or Gearbest – great for a punt, but then put it out of your mind for a few weeks as it cruises from China…

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s been there for 6+ years but only started selling physical goods directly this year, Amazon’s business decision, nothing to do with being banned.

Ah yes re physical goods, they were selling books etc. This was a couple of years ago when I had this conversation, and I was told (by a Dutch) person that they weren’t allowed to operate in NL for physical goods by the govt. No idea why.

g5604
    Free Member

I am pretty impressed with how Argos have been able to turn things around. You can get things delivered same day often within a few hours. The website is much easier to use than the cesspit that is Amazon and I don’t have to worry about buying some utter shite that will probably set on fire if left unintended. Amazon really do not give a **** what they sell and 90% of reviews are completely fake.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Has anyone ever used Banggood? Because I can see a robot vaccuum mop thing on there, shipped form Czech Republic for about £100 less than eBay or whoever in UK

AlexSimon

Yes, I’ve used Banggood and Gearbest all the time.
    You just have to realise that warranty is trickier. Best going direct to the manufacturer if anything goes wrong.
    If it’s shipped from within the EU I wouldn’t hesitate personally.
    Gearbest have been better for me overall, mainly due to a single instance of a month wait and in inflated customs charge for something from Banggood (China shipping).

zilog6128

Not used Banggood or Gearbest but have used AliExpress loads. It’s a collection of merchants like eBay rather than a single seller like BG/GB. Always been really quick delivery & never had to pay customs. Also never had to complain about a delivery but I’ve read lots of times the sellers are really good at sorting out problems or refunding (probably because they don’t want to damage their ratings!) It does make sense to me if you’re buying a Chinese-made product to buy it direct from China rather than via a UK/EU middleman importer! (As long as you’re happy to wait a bit longer of course!)

squirrelking
    Free Member

You think so? A company offered me free stuff to give their products 5* reviews and more if I added photos etc!! Now I don’t trust reviews that much.

Oh yeah, it’s easy to spot them though. I tend to look at the bottom end anyway, is it 1* because Amazon/seller/user messed up or is the product genuinely rubbish?

BillMC

I’ve had a few good purchases out of here over the years (and got JL to price-match on a cooker):

https://www.electricshop.com/

midlifecrashes

You can get most of what Currys do at http://www.hughes.co.uk

Bricks and mortar shops in the east of England if you want to fondle stuff before you buy.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Amazon Alternative for Consumer electronics’ is closed to new replies.