Viewing 37 posts - 281 through 317 (of 317 total)
  • Am I being a snob?
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Aracer – I think we are on similar pages 😉

RudeBoy
    Free Member

No, once again you misunderstand me;

What I’m saying, is that all children should have the same educational opportunities, regardless of wealth.

Sadly, it seems that there are still those who don’t feel this way, and would prefer an economically segregated system that keeps the proles down.

History has proved that there will always be those who seek to subjugate others, to ensure a submissive and docile workforce. Restricting access to education and knowledge is a very effective way of doing this. Private education, whilst offering higher standards for the lucky few, is something that perpetuates this system, which is counter-productive to Human social progression.

Mind, there will always be those who seek to find some way to appear superior to others.

‘Oh, I’ve got more money than him, therefore I demand better’.

Why not simply be happy that you have the same as others? And that in itself, is of a high standard?

Sounds to me that the OP is seeking to make himself appear ‘better than others’, by sending his kids to a ‘better’ school than Trinity and Blade…

aracer
    Free Member

Sadly, it seems that there are still those who don’t feel this way, and would prefer an economically segregated system that keeps the proles down.

If you think that, then I suspect your education might have been compromised by lack of streaming.

There is of course a difference between wishing for equality of opportunity and refusing to do the best you can for your children because of misplaced ideology.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I don’t think it is economically segregated at all. Most parents choose to take advantage of our state system which is providing a high level of education and other prefer to spend their cash on providing a different type of educational experience to their children.

At the end of the day my experiences have shown me that both systems have their merits and I preferably would send my children to private school if I could (not for academic reasons I hasten to add) but I am perfectly happy with the state system as well.

Its down to what you see as being best, I can’t afford it so I’m going to try hard to make sure my kids get the best I can provide so they become well rounded people but that isn’t only going to happen due to the school they go to.

The impression I get from what I hear / see is that I think there is a proportion of parents who expect school to give their kids everything they need but they actually have a key role in providing learning opportunities for their children too.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

which is counter-productive to Human social progression.

Darwin’s theory of evolution – survival of the fittest…

Do you think Lions give Zebra’s a day off so they can be given an equal opportunity to enjoy the day and raise their baby Zebras?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

But As I, and others have stated; we don’t feel that placing kids in a private school is necessarily doing the ‘best’ for them. And have gone to some lengths, to explain why.

I think the main point of our argument was that if kids are all put in the same learning environment together, they have greater scope for gaining understanding of the complex diversity of the society they will grow up in. There is perhaps a greater chance of this, in a state comprehensive, than in a private school.

Misplaced ideology? If you don’t actually bother to act on your beliefs/ideals, then change will never happen.

grumm
    Free Member

The beauty of todays Britain is there are more opportunities to do well for yourself and move up the class ladder if you want to and you look at a lot of people who have made it and are in the public eye – a large proportion of them started with nothing and have made their money through hard work rather than a good education.

Research show that the gap between rich and poor is increasing all the time, and social mobillity is actually getting worse. Education probably plays a big role in this.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Rudeboy – have you ever been to a private school?

Of the state school and the private school I went to I got a much better understanding of the world and mixed with people from all levels of society at the private school.

My state school was full of what I would call white middle class pupils.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I preferably would send my children to private school if I could (not for academic reasons I hasten to add)

Please explain. Do you mean that you would prefer that they were able to name their school in job interviews, etc, and somehow gain an advantage? Like how the mere fact that you went to Eton/Harrow gives you a leg-up?

Darwin’s theory of evolution – survival of the fittest…

Good Lord, is that the best you can come up with? Shall we just not bother with the disabled kids, then? Cheeze… 🙄

We are not base animals. We area highly evolved and intelligent (?) species.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Rudeboy – have you ever been to a private school?

Give me strength…

Have you not read my previous posts?

Exercise: Go back and read through them; you might learn something… 🙄

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I have read your earlier posts and was wondering if you had any experience of private schools rather than bigoted views formed from limited experiences?

My preference is nothing to do with the so called “old boy network” as I’ve never seen that being used during my time since leaving school – that is just comical.

The reason I would is personal preference based on experience rather than out dated misconceptions.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I have read your earlier posts and was wondering if you had any experience of private schools

You obviously haven’t read them carefully enough… 🙄

Bushwacked
    Free Member

fair play – didn’t read them all but sounds like you have a similar background to myself so interesting to see such polarised viewpoints.

I think that there will always be a private education system – whether it be after school classes for people who want to progress in maths all the way up to full blown private boarding schools.

nukeproof
    Free Member

Seriously lost how this thread is going as it appears to be just Fred’s and others opinion on how society should be which, whilst wishful, is not the case. So what is it you’re actually suggesting the OP should do? In that sense, what would you do if you were a parent? How would you decide on a suitable school for your children or is it just a case of give their name to the LEA and let them place them?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

So what is it you’re actually suggesting the OP should do?

Try not to be so snobbish about other people, might be a good start…

nukeproof
    Free Member

Try not to be so snobbish about other people, might be a good start…

Right, okay. Is there more or is that it?

trailmonkey

FWIW, I think the OP should just send his kids to a fee paying school.
    From the arguments he’s put forward so far, his children will never succeed in a state school because everytime they fail to meet his lofty expectations, it will be deemed to be the fault of poor teaching, bad influences or any one of many faults that he’s already decided exist within the state school system. Sending your kids into school with those sort of prejudices and misconceptions is every bit as damaging as anything he imagines that Blade and Trinity might get up to.

I think the school might be a better place without the likes of the OP involved in it.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

As I said – only he knows his kids and the situation so he should make a decision he feels is right for his kids.

grumm
    Free Member

How would you decide on a suitable school for your children

Dunno but I’m pretty sure that the names of some of the kids and the haircuts of their parents shouldn’t be a major deciding factor. I think trailmonkey is probably right, sadly.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Freeundred!

aracer
    Free Member

I know it’s politically incorrect to suggest this, but you really don’t think that names and appearances might be indicative of some other differences?

trailmonkey

I know it’s politically incorrect to suggest this, but you really don’t think that names and appearances might be indicative of some other differences?

Go on, enlighten us.

nukeproof
    Free Member

FWIW I think that for many parents selecting a school is one of the toughest decisions they face as the result will shape their childrens whole lives for better or worse; thats a lot of guilt/pressure to put on a parent and therefore picking a school means coming out of their comfort zone, bringing out any underlining prejudices a person may have and make spot judgements on people based on very little information. The OP may be accused of being a snob but its just saying what thousands of parents from all backgrounds are saying behind closed doors as they try to come to a decision on their childrens education.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Aracer – Yes, but no!

grumm
    Free Member

ts just saying what thousands of snobs are saying behind closed doors as they try to come to a decision on their childrens education.

😉

trailmonkey

FWIW I think that for many parents selecting a school is one of the toughest decisions they face

Our primary and over riding criteria was which school our kids felt that they would be happiest.
    That’s what school they both ended up going to.

nukeproof
    Free Member

Our primary and over riding criteria was where our kids felt that they would be happiest.

So was ours. With so many variables and no crystal ball, deciding where my children would be happiest was our toughest decision

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

FWIW I think the OP is aware that he might be being snobbish and was trying to establish if his motives were snobbish or based on what was really best for his kids.

A lot of discussion on here is about the generalities rather than the specifics.

trailmonkey

trailmonkey – Member

Our primary and over riding criteria was where our kids felt that they would be happiest.

nukeproof – Member

deciding where my children would be happiest was our toughest decision

Subtle difference in approach.

aracer
    Free Member

Our primary and over riding criteria was which school our kids felt that they would be happiest.

Will be with mine too (as might be apparent from what I’ve posted previously). Fortunately in the case of primary school that will be the one just over the road they can walk to (and neighbours kids he currently plays with already go to). No idea whether others are better academically, but it’s decent enough AFAIK. FWIW we earn nowhere near enough for private to be a serious option even if I did want to do that (in general I’d choose not to, though will vigorously defend the rights of others to make that choice if it’s what suits them). Oh, and of the kids in our road he plays with, one parent is a state school teacher, one a private school teacher.

ISTM there’s just as much prejudice and snobbery from the private school haters on this thread as from the other side.

nukeproof
    Free Member

Subtle difference in approach.

????

My 3 year old would happily have signed up to Dora the Explorer school* if it was an option!

(* However I am not suggesting that Dora the Explorer school would not be equal to other schools and will not be judging Tico, Boots or any of her other classmates on their gender, nationality or species)

HTTP404
    Free Member

Let’s sum this up for you – Rudeboy:
    – You have no children. So no parental experience. Get some or go to build-a-bear 🙂
    – Have had a relatively privileged upbringing (Latymers is £12K per annum?? thanks Mum) but you resent anybody else having one.
    – You’re prejudiced against privately educated people and stereotype them as typical public schoolboys. But say don’t go around stereotyping the lower-class, get to know them, talk to them.
    – You apparently would happily donate a total of appx £100K per child of yours to any school your children attend (this is the full cost of private education to 16yrs).
    – You thinks children below the age of 14yrs should not be streamed. Showing how little you know about education and children.

You’re a hypocrite. End of.

that all children should have the same educational opportunities, regardless of wealth.

Where there is wealth there will always be inequality.

I don’t think anybody has actually disagreed with your principle of same educational opportunities. It’s the fact you object so strongly to anybody paying for an alternative.

It’s called to choice.

As for trailmonkey’s post – I don’t know which thread you’ve been reading but what you’ve written has not been stated or implied by me. I think you’ve made a lot of assumptions about me as a person and my motives as a parent without any foundation whatsoever.

…what Bushwacked says.

ps: Our primary and over riding criteria was where our kids felt that they would be happiest.

😯 – you let a 3 yr old decide? my one would have decided on the colour of the uniform alone.

badbod99
    Free Member

Keep your children away from scum. Decide for yourself what scum is. If that means sending them to a private school, then beg borrow steal to get the best for your children. If you can achieve that in state school, then do that instead.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Can someone help HTTP out, please? I can’t be bothered any more. Bloke doesn’t bother to actually read stuff.

Thanks.

aracer
    Free Member

I can’t be bothered any more.

<sighs of relief all round>

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Rudeboy – not sure if HTTP is the person needing help.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

<sighs of relief all round>

Don’t relax too soon…

Just help him out with the points he’s missed, please. Seems like he’s holding the rest of you back…

Viewing 37 posts - 281 through 317 (of 317 total)

The topic ‘Am I being a snob?’ is closed to new replies.