Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Am I being a pillock?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I’m going to Sweden tonight for three days of work. This’ll be the third week, and it looks like I might be doing 3-4 nights/week until March.

The thing is, I really want to take my bike and ride around and explore. There are two decent sized areas of woodland on hills either side of town, and it looks really tempting. It’ll be cold, damp, icy and completely dark though – so is it worth going to the faff of having to take an extra bag and lug it around all over the place? If I don’t take it I can travel with carry on only.

Would you?

jam-bo

No. I’d go running instead.

sbob
    Free Member

Hire a bike you pillock.

egb81
    Free Member

There were loads of commuters on bikes when I visited Stockholm in the winter a few years back so I’d say go for it. Pretty good infrastructure in the capital at least and the Scandinavians are hardy enough to use it all year round it seems.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yes.

(Haven’t read your question, mind you)

molgrips
    Free Member

Hire a bike for an evening’s pootle? Even more work than bringing one, certainly more expense.

Running – that’s the other option, but I’m shit and it’d be one of the longest runs of my life.

AlexSimon

Have you got a spare bike and storage so that you could leave it out there?

jimoiseau
    Free Member

I’d take the bike, assuming that as it’s with work you’ll get a taxi straight from the airport to the hotel and back. The only real extra hassle then is waiting for the bike bag to come off the plane.

If you go running it’ll still be cold, damp icy and completely dark, and if you find nice trails up there you’ll kick yourself and just end up taking the bike next week anyway.

binners

Did you get bored of all the dogging?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I take mine with me but it’s warm and not snowing where I normally go 🙂

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Where abouts in Sweden are you working?

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I have to change planes, but on the way out I have to stay overnight in the airport anyway so I have to collect my bag; on the way back they should check it through for me. I’d have to get the taxi to the hotel in the morning and assume I can leave the bag there. Hotel is only 10 mins walk from work.. It’s certainly feasible.

I find it immensely frustrating and disorientating to go somewhere for more than a day or two and not be able to explore by bike.

Chef – Sundsvall. No snow there yet, might be a dusting by tomorrow. The chap in the KBS has folding Schwalbe 29er studded tyres for almost half the price they are here.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Ooh that’s a long way up in the country, it’ll be cold and dark just about all day.

Amazed that there is no snow there yet!

molgrips
    Free Member

Apparently it’s unusual. The last couple of weeks it’s been hovering above and below freezing, but the sun is so useless that the frost hollows and shadows just stay there all day and accumulate rime. Went down hard last week right outside the office.

chewkw
    Free Member

The Swedish Chef – Member

Ooh that’s a long way up in the country, it’ll be cold and dark just about all day.

I plan to visit Umeå next summer if I get the chance.

Anyone been there?

😀

sbob
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Hire a bike for an evening’s pootle? Even more work than bringing one

…from another country.
    Yes, I can totally see how that would be more work.

Pillock.

molgrips
    Free Member

Where does one hire decent MTBs in Sundsvall?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Think I would be looking for cheap second-hand bikes if I knew I was going to be working there for any amount of time.

Whats the chances of your bike getting lost/stolen?

Jamie
    Free Member

Hasn’t Sweden got it’s own Molgrips? Seems very inefficient to have to fly one in.

Edit: Although I imagine he would spell it Mölgrips.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve already had this argument with Elfinsafety 🙂

egb81
    Free Member

I plan to visit Umeå next summer if I get the chance

Is that purely so you can see where all the good Swedish bands (Refused, Cult of Luna….the list goes on) come from?

molgrips
    Free Member

Right.. off to clean the bike and see if 29er wheels fit in the wheel bags 🙂

jkomo

Sus it out on your first visit.
    Then decide.
    Sounds like fun though.
    Pillock

chewkw
    Free Member

egb81 – Member

I plan to visit Umeå next summer if I get the chance

Is that purely so you can see where all the good Swedish bands (Refused, Cult of Luna….the list goes on) come from?

What!!! Death metal!!! They do know how to let off steam by shouting a lot in a peaceful country … 😆

I hope they are not at home when I am there cos I want to go there for peace and quietness … 😯

steveh

I’d take one and leave it over there if it’s going to be long term. Even if it means buying a cheap hardtail on one or something for 500quid so you can leave it there all the time.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Swedish for Pillock is pronounced “Peel-lock”. Ergo their bikes should be fine!

grenosteve
    Free Member

Take a cheap HT and leave it out there until your last week.

If your staying at a particular hotel each week, I’m sure they would store your bike over the weekends.

EDIT – New idea, you need to take a fat bike!

jonners
    Free Member

Those who haven’t lived out of hotels for extended periods may see this as hard, those who have know it depends on the hotel. Flight is easy if bike breaks down enough that the bag can go in the back of a taxi. Need a hotel that doesn’t mind it living in the goods delivery entrance and has a freight elevator or similar back route you can take to your room quietly while covered in mud so you don’t have to walk through reception. Explain the situation that you want to stay for 4 months but need to leave the bike at weekends, alternative is that you’ll find another hotel (yes but they don’t know that…). Personal recommendation is start with a roadie – my fixie spent 6 months with me in Bangkok and night loops round Lumpini, the palace and the flower market kept me saner than my colleagues who spent the time in other evening pursuits…

molgrips
    Free Member

Good advice.. I’m banking on the hotel being accomodating.

Bloody 29er doesn’t fit in either of my bags very well though 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, packing the bike threatened to make me latex but made it with some spirited driving. Disregard anything I said on those motoring threads. Forgot my helmet tho..

Pook

Is molgrips pronounced ‘murlgreeps’ in Swedish?

benji
    Free Member

Ice skating, loads of it happening, whereabouts are you in Sweden, spent many a week in Stockholm.

shermer75
    Free Member

Now you thta you had thought of it you had to take the bike. Anything else would have been a disappointment

molgrips
    Free Member

D’oh.. Got to the airport late, bike still in London!

molgrips
    Free Member

Ffs… bike is in the airport but won’t get it til tomorrow. Grr 🙁

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Am I being a pillock?’ is closed to new replies.