Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Alternatives to Michelin Crossclimates?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

I was previously running some Crossclimates, as living in Scotland I do generally drive in some poor conditions.

I can’t get them in my size now, what alternatives do you guys run or know of that are good in the winter and the wet and dry?

Cheers!

Ricks

kormoran
    Free Member

In Scotland here also, I have been thinking about a set of the cross climates but they are quite pricey, Keen to hear other’s experiences.

Currently on Gislaved Eurofrosts which I really like although they are a full winter tyre. But over the last 3 sets i’ve had i’ve got 30k out of them (down to 4-5mm) before changing. No noticeable loss of mpg and whisper quiet. Amazing performance in winter conditions and wet weather, very reassuring. In the dry they just feel very grippy. Downside is they are quite hard to source, hence the interest in the X climates for next time

househusband

Just fitted Nokian WR D4’s on steel rims; swapped over last weekend and timed it well as there was a couple of frosts this week when I set off for work. They’re also pretty much a winter tyre rather than an all-year tyre. Had them (well, D3’s) on previous car and would swap over in October and back again in March/April. Got them from tyreleader.co.uk.

Scotland too, East Fife, so not exactly mountainous but we live in one of the highest villages in Fife and the roads are pretty crappy at the best of times!

thegreatape
    Free Member

I had those Nokians ^ and found that they wore really quickly on the front – could just be my car though, not necessarily blaming the tyre. I’m now on Falken all seasons and they seem pretty good. I’ve been a spring/autumn tyre swapper for years, but I think all seasons are getting better so I’m going for all seasons all year now.

That’s Lochaber, so plenty of rain, sometimes snow.

kormoran
    Free Member

The nokian d4’s are the other tyre I had considered too. I got my eurofrosts from a local indy at a competitive price

downshep

Been using cross climates at the back end and much impressed so far. Whilst pricey, they are a bit cheaper and a lot less hassle than running summer and winter wheels. Will be buying fronts once the summer tyres wear down.

lambchop
    Free Member

Cross Climates in all corners here, best tyres I’ve ever had. That doesn’t help the OP though

aP
    Free Member

I’ve just put Cross Climate + on my car. Not driven them much yet, but in heavy rain this morning they felt quite stable compared to the Hankook which had been on previously. They’re the same price as the replacement Hankook so worth a try, and I’ll be driving in Europe in December and January so they’ll be sensible.

rickon
    Free Member

Damn it! So far the consensus is Crossclimates are great, which don’t come in my size! Poop.

I’ll check out the Falken All Weathers.

The real problem for me is that I want a tyre that’s great in the wet and good in the slush and ice, but also alright in the dry. Most winter tyres give up a lot in the wet aquaplane and dry cornering 🙁

aP
    Free Member

What about Goodyear Vector? That was an alternative to CC+ that the tyre guys suggested.

bigjim

I’ve had the Nokian Weatherproofs and Hankook Optimo 4S, the Weatherproofs were better all round. They’re closer to a winter tyre that’s OK in summer compared to the crossclimates being a summer tyre that;s OK in winter, if that makes sense, but my car wasn’t exactly the ultimate driving machine like yours so I was happy with them in summer.

spooky_b329

We had Nokian Weatherproofs on a Honda Civic, got about 50,000 miles of spirited driving out of them. Just replaced with Cross Climate + and the car feels more planted, but thats not surprising as the Nokians are all-seasons biased to winter, and Crossclimates are biased towards Summer.

We also used Kleber Quadraxer all-seasons, they were great and cheaper, I think they are made in the Michelin factory.

dmck16
    Free Member

Vredstein Quatrac 5’s here.

Very happy with them (Borders to Edinburgh commute) – quiet, very good mpg, wearing at the same rate as previous Michelin Efficientgrip Performance tyres.

Currently trying to source another pair but they have jumped up in price for my size.

Nokian Weatherproofs are the top alternative for the moment.

Edit: Quick question if that’s alright – how much difference would fitting a slightly lower or higher profile tyre make?
    Can find the same tyres a fair bit cheaper – they are either 5 less, or 10 bigger in profile.

bigjim

second set of steel wheels might give more size options for a winter set, use up some of that garage space!

kormoran
    Free Member

Out of interest I just looked up some of my gislaved’s being tested against all the other brands. Basically they get beaten by everything else and only get a good review on the basis that they are ‘Cheap’. Their words not mine. I really rate them though, so I can only conclude I am an old giffer pootling about and nowhere near limits of the tyre, in any condition, ever. I can’t believe that here are 20 tyres better than mine, to the point you can tell. It’s bonkers. Think of all the progress I could have made by now. What a chump.

jam-bo

got about 50,000 miles of spirited driving out of them

I think your spirited and my spirited are two different things. I’m happy if I get 10-15k out of set of tyres. B-road commuting kills them.

rene59
    Free Member

got about 50,000 miles of spirited driving out of them

I think your spirited and my spirited are two different things. I’m happy if I get 10-15k out of set of tyres. B-road commuting kills them. [/quote]The Holy Spirit maybe, and only then if he helped propel you!

irc

What about Goodyear Vector? That was an alternative to CC+ that the tyre guys suggested.

I’ve had a set on my Oct for 20’000 miles or so. Quiet, great in snow, good in the wet, and haven’t noticed any reduced grip in the dry.

The fronts are down to around 4mm. Should just about do another winter. I’ll be replacing like for like next year.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

Nokian Weatherproofs.

^^ These

Kryton57

What about 2 wheels only?

Our Kuga needs new fronts and although I’m suburban London the car carries my kids around.

It has pirelli scorpion Verde’s nearly new on the back – a bad idea to mix them?

rene59
    Free Member

It has pirelli scorpion Verde’s nearly new on the back – a bad idea to mix them?

If your front tyres stop faster than the rear then your car might flip.

jambalaya
    Free Member

second set of steel wheels might give more size options for a winter set, use up some of that garage space!

It will do but the point of Cross Climate / All Seasons is to keep them on all year round, hence simple steel wheels may not appeal

rickon
    Free Member

Definitely got a shortlist now.

The Goodyear 4 seasons
    The Vredstein Quatrac 5
    Nokia Allweathers

Now… After spending time looking at price etc…

I’ve got decent summer tyres. Is it worth just going for winter tyres and taking the hit on worse dry and wet performance?

fifeandy
    Free Member

@jambo, glad you said it first – i was thinking his ‘spirited’ was 40mph down the motorway. Back when i had a car that was conducive to spirited driving fronts only lasted 8k.

@kormoran, don’t pay too much attention to reviews, they are often conducted in conditions and on road surfaces that rarely exist in the UK. I remember a set of bridgestones i had that were superb – but only if you could get them hot, which with a combination of Scottish weather and getting held up by traffic was very rare. When not hot they were fairly mediocre.

Jingle
    Free Member

Might be worth bearing in mind:
    I think the Goodyear 4 seasons and the Nokia Allweathers are both directional, whereas the Vredstein Quatrac 5 are asymmetric, so more suitable if you use a full-size spare.

hot_fiat

I ran Nokian WR D4s on the yeti last 2 winters. They’re very good. A little noisy but great grip in all weathers. Rain clearing was fine as was slush and hard packed snow. Wear was great. Think I got 30k out of them.

My BIL had Vredestein Quadtracs on his merv for a few years. They suddenly went hard and useless well before the tread wore out.

My Dad uses WRd3 on the superb. They’ve been very good and have been in for at least 4 seasons. They’re just starting to craze in the shoulders.

On the Abarth I’m limited to Pirelli Sottozeros due to the brake size. They’re, like everything Pirelli make IME, gopping. Noisy, skitterish and generally not confidence inspiring. On the previous Abarth with its less chav brake setup I could run 16”s and so had a much better choice. My preference there was Michelin alpins. The latest version of which sound stunning.

The kodiaq will be getting some WR suvs or perhaps some alpines. Depends what mytyres have on special. Reckon I’m about a month late for the decent bargains.

eruptron
    Free Member

Just ordered 2x michelin crossclimate+ £95.95ea 225/4517 for the Auris as need a couple. Camskills in Whitehaven. (they deliver)
    Commuting through the Lakes at the moment. Thought something with a little more grip might be useful.

spooky_b329

I’ll clarify the 50k, mainly motorway miles but the 80 mile commute includes about 6 ‘spirited’ roundabouts, with some B road bashing at the weekends…

But really, 10-15,000 miles per set? That would be 4 tyres every six months for my wife…

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to Michelin Crossclimates?’ is closed to new replies.