Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • ‘Alternative’ wireless shifting (PSA 50% off)
  • monkeyboyjc

I’ve been using a cell cycling X-shifter for a while on my road/gravel bike(s).

https://i.imgur.com/Y8c8SgF.jpg

I originally bought it for my bamboo bike to get around cabling issues, and to be fair it’s worked really well over the last 4/5 years. If you don’t know what it is, essentially it’s a small cable servo housing which manages the cable pull rather than the shifter, the shifter itself being wireless.

It’s a very similar system to the archer components one which is more well known in the MTB community.

Anyway, cell cycling have spent the last few years developing an updated system. It’s smaller, lighter, has much better battery life and reliability (the biggest issue with the current generation). They are calling it the NXS, no idea what it stands for, but it’s currently 50% off until 30th July or first 500 customers.

https://www.nxswireless.com/shop/

New Home Page

In a similar way to how AXS has a blip box for additional buttons you need to build a system up, but there are 1x sets available. Interestingly they’ve also developed a wireless dropper system, allowing you to convert a stealth dropper to be able to used with their blips/shifter. The flat bar shifter itself is also very small, and the ‘blip box’ fits inside your bar, much like dangerholm’s custom work.

Anyway, I’ve liked the old system so much I’ve taken a punt on the new one (shipping from next month), I’ve also bought the dropper system. I’ll keep this thread updated if there is any interest….

frogstomp

I like the look of this, and at the price might take a punt for my gravel bike.

Any idea what the difference between the Mag Series and Straight Series adapters are? I can’t find any details on the website.. trying to work out what I’d need for a SRAM Rival RD.

teethgrinder

What was the list of parts for the dropper?

frogstomp

Answering my own question.. the Mag Series adapters are magnetic and designed to break away during an impact, saving the shifter / derailleur gubbins.

appltn

Oh wow, I’ve always thought Archer should do a version for dropper posts. Thanks for sharing!

appltn

Am I correct in thinking that the parts required for the wireless dropper would be this:

1. Dropperator
    2. Hub
    3. Button, either Bit or Shifty

I assume the button needs a wired link to the hub so you’d need to figure that out (I’m thinking run it under a grip and into the end of the bar) but the dropperator is separate and wireless?

Edit

I think I’d also need a charger, it’s unclear if a battery is included for the hub and dropperator though.

mrl

Looks like a great idea. Bit concerned that the rear servo would be a bit exposed for a mountain bike. I wonder if you could fit it on the frame the archer system.

monkeyboyjc

Any idea what the difference between the Mag Series and Straight Series adapters are? I

I think….. it’s if you want to direct mount the unit to the mech – there is a compatibility chart here

https://nxswireless.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Quantum-Adapter-Map.pdf

What was the list of parts for the dropper?

For just a dropper I think you’d need…

1x dropperator, 1x wireless hub & 1x bit

So about $125 Inc shipping?

monkeyboyjc

I wonder if you could fit it on the frame the archer system

Yes I wouldn’t fit it direct to the mech, my x-shifter is in a frame bag, and that’s what I’ll be doing with the new one. You can frame mount with various add ones at the moment – there are also magnetic mounts, but I’m not sure how they would work.

I think I’d also need a charger, it’s unclear if a battery is included for the hub and dropperator though.

Dropperator and wireless hub are both usb c charging I think…

appltn

I’ve just stuck in an order for the dropperator, hub, bit and a charger, it looks like the batteries are probably included but I’ll email them to check.

appltn

Dropperator and wireless hub are both usb c charging I think…

Oh you mean you directly plug a USB-C cable into them so you don’t need a charger at all?

monkeyboyjc

Dropperator is definitely usb c charging – it’s the dangling cable at the base – ‘upto’ 5000 uses between charges or 6months standby.

Oh you mean you directly plug a USB-C cable into them so you don’t need a charger at all?

Yep 👍 although I need a charger as I forgot to add one to my order 😂 so I’ll buy it off you  if you like (I’ve emailed them to see if I can add one in without getting stung for postage again).

appltn

Ahh yeah I see that in the pictures now, my brain wasn’t interpreting that thing as a charging port. Thanks for clarifying!

appltn

Yep 👍 although I need a charger as I forgot to add one to my order 😂 so I’ll buy it off you if you like (I’ve emailed them to see if I can add one in without getting stung for postage again).

Haha, yep we can definitely do that, I won’t even charge a markup 😉

monkeyboyjc

Even if I can add one in, it’ll be good to have a spare so pm me when it arrives…. 👍

appltn

Even if I can add one in, it’ll be good to have a spare so pm me when it arrives…. 👍

Okie doke, sounds good 👍

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I like the idea but lordy it’s an ugly beast isn’t it? Is it the same shifter on your gravel bike, I’m interested to see how intrusive it actually looks on the bars, it doesn’t exactly look ergonomic.

Bit concerned that the rear servo would be a bit exposed for a mountain bike.

If its simply a cable pull servo it would possibly be easily solved by strapping it to the seat/chain stay with a short length of outer instead of the noddle and mount?

monkeyboyjc

Is it the same shifter on your gravel bike,

No it’s the older one, which is quite chunky, but really easy to use – takes 2032 batteries which I’ve only had to change once. I’ll see if I can find a photo….

If its simply a cable pull servo it would possibly be easily solved by strapping it to the seat/chain stay

You can run a cable out the back with the standard adapter so you can mount them anywhere you like.

monkeyboyjc

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Ahhh that looks very tidy with the drop hood. I’m not convinced the square thing wouldn’t drive me potty on a mtb.

monkeyboyjc

Tbh if I were using the system on the MTB I’d use the BIT buttons over the shifty buttons and custom make/3d print a trigger shifter style mount for them. The ergonomics of the Shifty buttons looks all wrong to me as it’ll basically require your thumb to be inline with the bar to shift, same for a dropper.

ta11pau1

I’ve just stuck in an order for the dropperator, hub, bit and a charger, it looks like the batteries are probably included but I’ll email them to check.

I’m interested in how you get on with this, is this for a MTB or drop bar bike?

Having to wire in the button could be a pain on an MTB but tbh the biggest issue would how the thing actuates – is it like the magura system where you press and it stays open for a set time, or is it more like AXS with it opening and closing on press/release. Can’t see it being as instant as the latter as it still has to pull a cable actuator which will have a cm or so of travel.

Please report back 👍😁

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Down side of the bit is I’d not be able to resist putting it on/in the bar end because that’s where it [so obviously looks like] it should go.
    This would of course mean it got trashed with in a few days and would be impossible to actually press – with my little finger – for the entirety of its depressingly short life.

monkeyboyjc

is this for a MTB or drop bar bike?

For the drop bar gravel bike in the photos. The current version is not as instant as AXS, which I have on my mtbs but absolutely fine for the most part – have a look at the vid I posted above.

Down side of the bit is I’d not be able to resist putting it on/in the bar end because that’s where it [so obviously looks like] it should go.

You can mount the BIT buttons anywhere you want (as long as the cable reaches the wireless hub).

appltn

For the dropper with a bit button I’m thinking I’ll take a dremmel to the plastic inner sleeve of my lock on grips to cut out a little circle for the button and a channel for the wire to run back to the open end of the bar. I’ll aim to put it right up at the inner edge, poking out the grip.

Something roughly like this

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

You can mount the BIT buttons anywhere you want (as long as the cable reaches the wireless hub).

Indeed, the issue is that just looking at it makes me want to mount it in the worst possible place.

nixie

Can it use 2x road gearing like its 1x (i.e. as I think Di2 does of shifting the front automatically).

Shame there is no option for using the standard road shift levers.

monkeyboyjc

I don’t think its currently being advertised as being setup for sequence shifting front/rear aka di2, but that could be within the app (currently unreleased), it’s open source so I’m sure someone with enough brains will eventually add that in if it’s not already. Apparently any button / shifter are completely programmable to do any kind of shifting sequence you want from the limited web site info.

branes

Mmmm, this looks really interesting, and not ruinously expensive. Presumably cost is plus VAT, import duty, handling? Anyone know for certain?

appltn

I don’t think its currently being advertised as being setup for sequence shifting front/rear aka di2, but that could be within the app (currently unreleased), it’s open source so I’m sure someone with enough brains will eventually add that in if it’s not already. Apparently any button / shifter are completely programmable to do any kind of shifting sequence you want from the limited web site info.

From their FAQ I think this is supported:

Does NXS have automatic shifting?

We do not have fully automatic shifting. But we do have semi-auto shifting. You just use 2 buttons, up/down to shift through both the front and rear derailleur. You need to preset the teeth count for all cogs, and then NXS will figure out the best gear combination.

monkeyboyjc

Presumably cost is plus VAT, import duty, handling? Anyone know for certain?

Ive had items from the same company in the past which has come through customs with no additional charges, but that was years ago and may well have been a lucky one off….

luket

Interesting. I was going to wait for GRX availability but, as currently priced, this could be substantially cheaper than just getting new shifters for my drop bar bike on which I currently have the same trp singlespeed drop bar levers. And I could use 11 speed mtb xt mech and sunrace cassette I have sitting in the shed. Any reason that’s a bad idea?

How do you set this up? Presumably, given it can operate for different cable pull ratios, there’s a sequence for setting top and bottom gear and it’ll index an even spread between those two positions?

If going 1x gears only, I’d go a single button either side I guess, but what would be the best combination of shifters to fit neatly in trp hoods if one wanted to go 1x plus a dropper?

ayjaydoubleyou

Interested in the dropper remote, but I’d like to see how it works on a flat bar. I feel like I’d still want to use my thumb but being on the bar between grip and brake lever clamp seems like it would be a good position.
    Would the cable get under the grip in a non-modified way?

monkeyboyjc

And I could use 11 speed mtb xt mech and sunrace cassette I have sitting in the shed. Any reason that’s a bad idea?

No reason at all, I had mine originally on a 10sp deore and sunrace.

How do you set this up?

If its like the original, which I assume it is,…. Set up mech as normal, open the app tell it what speed cassette your using, then you can if needed, adjust each individual shift.

but what would be the best combination of shifters to fit neatly in trp hoods if one wanted to go 1x plus a dropper?

Im going to go with two on the right for shifting and one on the left for dropper, but I’ve bought 4 and will set up symmetrically.

No idea at the moment as there is very little info.

appltn

I think it depends on whether you run push on or lock on grips. Push on you’re probably fine, but for lock on which I have I’m planning to get a small hacksaw blade inside the plastic and cut out a little V shaped channel, the cable is 1mm in diameter so I think this should do it.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I can’t see it myself, non locking grips are, by design exceptionally tight, even locking ones still fit snugly enough to mark and drag on the bars when being slid on and off.

The only thing that’s put me off ordering off the back of this is the wired buttons which seems like a daft thing to have, they’re the main thing I’d want wireless

monkeyboyjc

The only thing that’s put me off ordering off the back of this is the wired buttons which seems like a daft thing to have, they’re the main thing I’d want wireless

I think it’s nuts SRAM aren’t making their wireless blips compatible with the axs dropper….

You could run the wireless hub under the stem aka sram blip box, it doesn’t have to be inside a bar, it’s just designed to be small enough to do so. the  run the cables under the bar. I suppose the ideal would be a pro bar or similar that has the hidden holes built in for di2. The cables are small and should be very easy to hide TBF.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

I was about to order a 1x set up but then noticed that the FAQ say that there’s no iPhone app yet (only Android) – and I can’t see a way to contact them to see if they have an idea of when it might be available.

I presume the app is a pretty important element in the set up?

monkeyboyjc

I presume the app is a pretty important element in the set up?

Its kinda essential….

luket

@monkeyboyjc thanks v much for the clarifications. I think I’ll go for this.

So for gearing I’d buy a 1x group which includes the hub and a pair of BIT buttons.

For dropper do I understand correctly that I should just buy a dropperator and a second pair of BIT buttons (they come as a pair) but only fit one? It piggy backs on the hub used for gearing as I understand it?

On the servo to rear mech attachment, I can’t get my hands on the mech ’til after this offer runs out. What adapter(s) would you get for a shimano 11 speed mtb one (I’ve either got a M7000 SLX or M8000 XT)? What’s the difference between “mag” and “straight” and is the tube purely for placement of the servo for cosmetic reasons? I have a feeling on shimano one might want a tube or it could stick out the side in harm’s way. Or to fix the servo to the frame and take it to the mech using flexible cable outer, as you have done on the blue drop bar bike up there ^^.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.