Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Alps Virgin, Where’s best?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Can you still ride the bottom part of Lavancher bowl

Yes you can. The issue is that the new Plan Joran lift takes you quite a lot higher than the old one did. Weirdly this isnt a good thing, as you need to then descend to the meadow in your picture via a ski slope and the double track that you would have ridden before. If you are out there, check the Plan Joran’s schedule, it was a bit odd last year.

tuboflard

Thanks @agentdagnamit, not been back since the big fire so not even seen the new lift but that makes sense now. The old chair was an experience to say the least, remember downloading on it in May at the end of the season in summer sunshine years ago!

@nickc
    , I’d agree, Basque MTB is superb and would go back again tomorrow but it’s not a cheap week in relative terms and think the OP is looking for self guided riding (though I admit the thread has drifted in to general questions about Chamonix; my fault!).

Grump
    Free Member

@tuboflard Wot agentdagnamit said! ;D And the new berger who has the grazing that the trail goes through is a rider, so hopefully the fences will be aligned slightly more bike friendly then they have been in the past. The trail over by the Logon refuge is really good for instagram, and surprisingly fun at the top, but soon ends up as a bit rubbish, then just rubble on the Pierre a Ric piste, with short detours off into the trees. The lift is back to being open 7 days a week after last season’s limited schedule, although it’s the shortest running lift in the Chamonix summer, closing again on 4th September.

In an effort to save thread drift, Has Aosta been mentioned for first timers? If you’ve got transport then a few days in La Thuile (like golfie but so much more) few days in Pila (like Les Gets, but better, and with some great off piste if you look on trailforks/strava) Cervinia (kinda like Les 2 Alpes, but better views) all mixed up, maybe with some pedalling or a day of guided shutteling would be a fairly amazing trip, not too dear with Italian food and drink prices, and not too difficult logistically. And Aosta city is a nicer place than Morzine to hang out post ride, although doesn’t have the same biker vibe or pro spotting potential.

Tracey

I’d take the Aosta Valley over Morzine any day. We are there now. 1st day riding in Pila. Aosta is a great base to ride from up both sides of the valley. Guiding is expensive unless you can fill a van or tag on to another group.
    For some reason the top part of the Pila to Aosta run has been closed. The top third is down the main road

BoardinBob

For some reason the top part of the Pila to Aosta run has been closed

Fall out with the landowner

Tracey

There is another run down further up the valley which we did once when we met up with a few friends when we were passing through I’ve seen it on a map but can’t find it on anything else
    Might be 21b

tuboflard

I’d happily ride La Thuile for a good few days, lots of options, all great and very easy to self guide there from my relatively limited experience.

Tracey

Just for info. We found the other route down from Pila to Aosta. It’s one great run from top to bottom. It’s about 15min pedal from Pila and finishes about a mile further up the valley than the Freeride run. I had a big grin from top to bottom. It feels more natural and is full of rocks, gullies and roots

superfli
    Free Member

21b to the west of pila bike park is awesome! But start from the top of Couis👍.
    Rocky Balboa to the east of park also very good. Must have good suspension though! It’s named that for a reason!

schmung
    Free Member

Depends what you want – I’m off to Morzine this year as it’s relatively easy and very little faff. Bourg St Maurice/Tignes/Les Arcs is pretty good fun as you can get over to La Thuile easily enough, but to make the best of that you need transport and/or guiding.

I think the appeal of Morzine is that it’s relatively easier to get to than a lot of other places and and the passportes factor means you can get around and ride different stuff without any additional logistics. I think it’s great for that first hit of ‘chairlifts all day bike riding and beers after’, but there are a lot of other places that offer more besides that.

I will shamelessly put in another plug for BasqueMTB as well though, because its hands down the best bike holiday I’ve ever done, though you need a decent level of bike fitness (or maybe just not to get hopelessly trollied on Basque brewery beer, wine, or cider every night) and it’s a very differnt thing from strolling out a chalet and onto a lift in the morning.

Garry_Lager

Can anyone recommend good Blue route stuff in the Bourg SM valley? We’re there next month as a family – was thinking it would be good to visit either La Thuille or Tignes bike park but they might be a little rough for beginners? Couple of family members aren’t that confident.

We’ve been to the Les Arcs park before so know the standard there – blues were spot on in terms of features, although quite rough. Reminded me of a big Peak district a little bit.

tuboflard

Not been in a while but the Tignes trails were smooth and very family friendly. There’s a green off Palafour chair and a few rollable blues off Tufs. I seem to remember a long green down in to Val D’Isere too.

I’d avoid La Thuile though for beginners, there is the odd trail but much more natural enduro style trails.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Oh **** me I can’t find the thread any more. Completely stumped about how to book camping champsec in verbier.
    I phoned the bloke just now and tried my execrable French. From what I understood,
    He’s doesn’t speak English.
    But there is someone who does.
    I don’t need to book.
    Even for August
    Even for a campervan with electricity.
    Yes really.
    Bye.

Do I load the family into the can 9n August 1st and drive a thousand miles only to find that they’re complete?

Wasted?

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.