Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Alpinestars Al Mega or Chro Mega
  • tinsy
    Free Member

Anyone have one of the above in the 90’s?
    Did they break?
    Was the elevated chainstay a weakness?

I fancy a retro bike for winter and got a sick hankering for one of these.

Eggbox
    Free Member

I seem to remember the cro mega was very “flexible” at the bottom bracket. But they looked great at the time.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Got a cro-mega DX in original spec (1989?) including original ritchey tyres etc, only parts changed are saddle and onza bar ends and porcipaws grips in my mums garage. Bit dusty, but in pretty good nick.

Would consider letting it go.

tinsy
    Free Member

Mail me rustytrail.. might be interested, would like some pictures too.

smogmonster

Had one whilst at school, i forget which one now…the estay was cobblers, would bend all over the place….with super stiff straight forks, the noodly rear end made for some interesting lines…….

tinsy
    Free Member

So it would be an awful choice to singlespeed then?

Nax-ian
    Free Member

Yeh I had one o’ they Al -mega , thought the elevated stays were a benefit, absolutely NO chainslap. I always thought it was a bit over engineered, hence making it quite heavy even though it was 6061 ( I think). Really enjoyed riding it ,felt like you could through trail obstacles, instead of round ’em or over ’em.

Y’all know I’ve got a SC Superlight frame for sale.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

my mate had an al mega and snapped it. The warranty replacement was a slightly different design, bigger gussets or something- I can’t quite remember.

ashleyf
    Free Member

i had one of these back in the day (al mega Dx) with a matching dayglo team strip, i loved it until someone decided they wanted it too and stole it!!! Would love to get another. They used to have problems at the head tub and snapped there. I think mine was a '91 in the yellow and white and latter models had reinforced gussets where the down tube joins the head tube, like on a GT zaskar. I dont remember any problems with them snapping at the BB or chainstays though.

swiss01
    Free Member

not only did i have one i still have one in bits in the shed where i've never got round to rebuilding it. some retro type can buy it off me if they want.

tinsy
    Free Member

wow not looked on here for over a week and this old thread pops up… 🙂

If its a medium sorta size and very cheap I would take them bits off you Swiss01.

swiss01
    Free Member

it is a medium, well it fits me. the frame's chrome, it has some form of very primitive rockshox on it, i'd have to go down the shed to see what the other bits are. wheels, stem etc are all original.

glenh
    Free Member

Mmmm…. look at this baby:

http://www.geocities.com/de_cycleman/alpinestars.html

A "weight wagon" at 26lbs though 🙂

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

My 17.5" cromega is for sale if someone wants to make me an offer. Rode it for the first time in 16 years last weekend at the Purbecks retro ride. Fantastic, so much so, that i'm contemplating getting a modern rigid bike. Just needs a new stem, after a cracking incident on Sunday. Otherwise, completely as i bought it from new in 1991 (apart from the obvious scratches/chips where your feet occasionally hit the chainstays), tyres and all.

I may be riding this at the Swinley stw ride if i can get a stem before then.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I had the AL Mega (till it got nicked) Like the linky says it climbed like a goat, i mean miles better than anything else I'd ridden. It felt downright dodgy on steep techy descents though! (maybe cos it was too big for me)

Unosprocket
    Free Member

Al-mega=snaptastic in either form
    Cro-mega=super flexy in raised stay.
    Even NOS Al-megas can be found cracked!

firestarter
    Free Member

a lad at my station still rides to work on a cro mega it looks mad lol

tinsy
    Free Member

swiss01, chrome! its sounding better and better, my e-mail is in my profile.

Rusty trowel, now you have made it difficult.. I am interested in buying one, but I think the one in bits may fit my budget a lot better.

What sort of money are you blokes thinking? And if you can sort out a few pictures I would appreciate it.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Cant work out photo thing, but there is a good photo of it on the retrobike.co.uk forum (purbecks ride aftermath report). Surprisingly good downhill, did everything i normally do on my 456, but with bigger balls!

tinsy
    Free Member

would you link me to it rusty trowel? I will be able to post it up here maybe then.

tinsy
    Free Member

this one?

whytetrash

Had the old Al mega dx in dayglo…best climbing bike I've ever ridden for steep techy stuff…stripped and polished it…wish I still had it! stem cracked rest fine

ashleyf
    Free Member

swiss01 and rusty trowl, how much do you want for the alpinestars?? Swiss01 can you send me a pic to afielding75@hotmail.com, would really love to get another almega i have missed mine since it was stolen about 15 years ago.

swiss01
    Free Member

will send pics tomorrow as it's too dark to go fannying about in the shed tonight

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Yep, thats mine. Isn't she pretty? Only non standard parts are saddle, onza porcipaws grips and bar ends, although stem will be replaced shortly after Sundays near miss. How much, God knows? Enough to make it worth selling.

scuttler

Now it's bugging me – who was the bloke with the tache that was sponsored by Alpinestars? Mike sommat-or-other from the olden days of John Tomac and Ned Overend.

Never really fancied an Al-Mega or Cro-Mega – possibly something to do with Klein.

walleater

Mike Kloser. I remember him racing at the Malverns Challenge, maybe for MS Racing? It was one of the older twin triangle designs anyway.

ssboggy

My first proper mtb back in the day was a Cro Mega DX, the bb was very flexi and the rear stay snapped just below the elevated chainstay, also it had 1,1/4 inch headset and oversize bars. Only bit i have left is the front mech which was some weird braze on attachment

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Alpinestars Al Mega or Chro Mega’ is closed to new replies.