• This topic has 100 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by brant.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)
  • Almost fully funded Kickstarter insanity…
  • colournoise

Not real footage. Definitely animation or really dodgy mo-cap of a roller bike. Not sure why the wobbles though, unless it’s a clumsy attempt to make the video more realistic?

cheers_drive

Definitely Someone’s industrial design degree final year project, and now they don’t want to get a real job…

Exactly what I thought, I did an ID degree and one of the shit and deluded people on the course turned up on Dragons Den a few years later pitching his submarine idea. It was still a student project just with some better visuals 😆

bobgarrod
    Free Member

Even if it did work (unlikely) the pricing of 1599 euros for a hand built, electronic geared, lithium battery, carbon fibre thing is hopelessly unrealistic considering the price of a decent normal bike made in the hundreds of thousands. Perhaps they’ll be assembling in Nigeria ?

DezB
    Free Member

Just seen this on the front page… they’re offering money back guarantee after a test ride!
    There must be some kind of protection from kickstarter to stop people getting ripped off, surely??

[edit]Nope: Kickstarter doesn’t evaluate a project’s claims, resolve disputes, or offer refunds — backers decide what’s worth funding and what’s not.

Speeder

Saw this last night while researching for my own Bicycle related crowd funding project.

It was late when I looked at it and I wasn’t that critical and just thought the wobbly riding was down to the low angular momentum of the wheels having assumed that true to their word they’d created a working proto.

Maybe there is more smoke and mirrors involved. One thing is for certain, as has been pointed out above, the budget is very low and the pricing ambitious.

I wish them all the luck in the world, it has some nice ideas but they’re going to disappoint a lot of people.

Good graphics – low content = Bull**** baffles brains.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

In other industries they’ve spent probably millions trying to get hubless wheels to work.

They’ve learnt lots of things, but not how to make hubless wheels.
    Interesting from a design/styling/showoff perspective. Bloody useless for anything else. Like moving, or going in a straightline.

Hubs work really well.

jekkyl

it’s not clear from the video if the ‘wheel’ is just an exposed section at the bottom that touches the ground or if the whole thing is exposed. Also that riding position does not look comfortable & it hasn’t got a bell on, how would he ride down the canal???

otsdr
    Free Member

No, it is pretty clear – the wheels are almost fully enclosed. A true hubless design (see Sbarro) would not accomodate the add-ons.

vorlich
    Free Member

MUSIC!

bails

Who’s ridden a bike and thought “this is okay, I guess, but I really wish it didn’t have any hubs. That would make it great”?

It looks futuristic, but what’s the point?

D0NK

It looks futuristic, but what’s the point?

didnt you see the bags?!!!!

aracer
    Free Member

It’s on Kickstarter, I presume the point is to scam money off the gullible.

atlaz
    Free Member

Has all the hallmarks of the drone that was crowdfunded a couple of years back. Basically some interesting concepts packaged together with some unicorn dust which can’t possibly be delivered at the price they promise nor, indeed, any price.

otsdr
    Free Member

The pledged amount went down 2000€ since yesterday, this can only be a good thing I suppose.

mrlugz
    Free Member

Deep potholes and kerbs look like they’d cause problems.

Think I’ll pass

zilog6128

The pledged amount went down 2000€ since yesterday, this can only be a good thing I suppose.

Yep, because if that project actually gets funded, no-one will be getting a bicycle or ever seeing their money again!

Some interesting ideas, but as stated absolutely impossible at that price. Also no mention of the weight of the thing… would have to be 60 lbs+ surely?! (not that it actually exists!)

acidtest
    Free Member

The weight’s near the top of the page, it’s worth another lol.

DezB
    Free Member

The weight’s near the top of the page, it’s worth another lol.

Yeah, but.. its SPACE GRADE carbon fibre!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

You know that uncomfortable looking riding position? Just flip the handlebars and *lower the saddle* and you can completely screw your knees.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Their timeline does claim they have a working prototype (and the FAQ says there are no renderings as Kickstarter doesn’t allow them?)

Quite apart from any design issues the price is so ludicrously low it doesn’t even come across as a good con.

aracer
    Free Member

Define “working” and “prototype”

fasthaggis

It’s ok to dream 😉

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

The budget isn’t enough to develop an iPhone app, let alone build bikes.

acidtest
    Free Member

So far they’ve spent 1.5m on a working prototype.

zilog6128

Yeah, but.. its SPACE GRADE carbon fibre!

oh yeah, I’d forgot about that bit…

To achieve a true Space Grade Composite Construction we combined two layers of carbon fiber with an ultra lightweight core structure. This way we can use fewer layers of carbon fiber and less resin, without impairing stability.

so why does the “ultra lightweight core structure” look like the cardboard stuff I use to make cheap, light exhibition graphics, with a layer of carbon fibre-effect vinyl applied on top? I suppose that technically qualifies as “composite construction”! 🙂

richmars

I guess, being charitable, they haven’t given too many details away because they’re going to apply for 15 patents. (The problem being that this will cost most of the money they’re trying to get off gullible punters.)

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

so why does the “ultra lightweight core structure” look like the cardboard stuff I use to make cheap, light exhibition graphics,

Because that sort of sandwich has a high strength to weight? I used sandwich panels with a honeycomb aluminium core and alu sheet on either side to make cladding . More of an issue is those sheets are flat, and they only work if they’re flat. There aren’t any flat panels on the bike that I can see. The outer sheet of the composite wouldn’t be woven either would it?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

(The problem being that this will cost many multiples of the money they’re trying to get off gullible punters.)

jimdubleyou

Has all the hallmarks of the drone that was crowdfunded a couple of years back. Basically some interesting concepts packaged together with some unicorn dust which can’t possibly be delivered at the price they promise nor, indeed, any price.

Zano, which was basically fraud as the video they had of the working prototype, wasn’t video of a working prototype.

I got screwed in that one…

richmars

If you make the panels yourself, the honeycomb core is fairly floppy, so doesn’t need to be perfectly flat.

bencooper
    Free Member

That “working” hubless bike up there (for a limited definition of “working”) illustrates another problem – it’s effectively got a 4″ back wheel, so it has to have a £500 Schlumpf gearbox in the bottom bracket just to get it up to any sensible kind of gearing.

nach
    Free Member

These baskets are going to be loads of fun every time you stop:

acidtest
    Free Member

Not to mention the gaping holes at each end, how are you supposed to stop your chiaha from falling out.

acidtest
    Free Member

To late for a ninja edit, I meant chihuahua!

andyl
    Free Member
    Tallpaul
    Free Member

I think they’re defining ‘space age’ to be contemporary with the Apollo program.

sq225917
    Free Member

The other stuff is Nomex honeycomb, basically Kevlar fibres made in paper and thermoset in a phenolic resin. It’s old tech but next to nowt beats it for making stiff and light, flat or curved panels from.

DezB
    Free Member

Great spot Andyl – they’ve even nicked their pic from the link you posted:

I just did the same, made a black background… and you can see now that the carbon weave on the left is all out of perspective, so that’s another shopped pic… soooo dodgy

sirromj
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Almost fully funded Kickstarter insanity…’ is closed to new replies.