• This topic has 100 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by brant.
Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • Almost fully funded Kickstarter insanity…
  • leffeboy

Now with added daytime video. Looks real if somewhat difficult to ride
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SatCnalAE90[/video]
    And fully funded

FuzzyWuzzy

Weird bar choice – if they’d seen anyone riding a TT bike at low speed they should have realised those bars aren’t a great idea.

IHN

I think the one in that daytime video has a motor in it. Something about the effort he’s putting in against the speed he’s doing.

atlaz
    Free Member

Looks awful. Maybe if they got a real bike engineer involved they’d understand how bikes SHOULD ride

philjunior
    Free Member

There does seem to be a distinct disconnect between the pedals and any forward motion…

funkweasel
    Free Member

I like the bit where he almost falls off at the end.

holmes81
    Free Member

If I’ve understood correctly, there is a little area where the tyre is in contact with the road.

That being so, what happens when you get a puncture? Or is it tubeless?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Just looks all wrong and rides like shit.

Speeder

I think I can see what they”ve done.

That’s a wheel shaped cowling with a skateboard wheel at the bottom. You can see the wrinkles in the fabric they’ve used to make the ‘tyre’ before he gets on. The ‘demo run’ is just free wheeling it down a hill while pedalling for effect.

Very very dodgy. Fraud anyone?

disben

Definitely has a motor and those wheels are not rotating at all.

16 secs in he starts a motor (having pressed something at 4 secs to turn bike on). He turns off around 1.10 mins and freewheels.

The wheels are not rotating (or at least what we see is not rotating (as per fabric of tyre in speeders post above). Even when it cycles past you can see nothing is rotating.

Definitely fraud.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

That’s a wheel shaped cowling with a skateboard wheel at the bottom. You can see the wrinkles in the fabric they’ve used to make the ‘tyre’ before he gets on

I think the wheels are (intentionally) fully cowled so you’d not be able to see the wheel moving (the back wheel doesn’t have the ‘fork’ surround part so the ‘wheel’ surface that you can see CANT rotate). the creased fabric looks like it covers a slot at the front. if that is the case what happens if you pick up a few small stones? Surely it would just hoover up road debris until it jammed.

Definitely has a motor and those wheels are not rotating at all.

Pedals definitely don’t look connected – he doesn’t start off moving with a pedal stroke, just pushes off with the pedal at 6 o clock.

They’ve fully funded via kickstarter and now taking orders via indiegogo.

acidtest
    Free Member

2 words, pot hole.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

1 word.

Kerb.

twisty

I saw this on facebook a while back and I asked them about how their wheels work on their facebook page – no answer.
    I’m guess it is a bit of an evolution on this design http://www.gizmag.com/sada-hubless-folding-bike/31932/

I.E have some spokeless rims, which will either be really heavy or will bend or a combination of, because there are no spokes to distribute the loads, then connect it to the bike using some rollers which will probably have lots of friction and impart massive bending stresses onto the rim, particularly on the front while cornering.

The CycloTron might could be a more useable design than the Sada (or might not), as there could be several bearings hidden inside those carbon outers to distribute the loads on the rims.

Perplexedly long wheelbase on the cyclotron too.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

[video src="http://ksr-video.imgix.net/assets/013/050/612/0dbf1a5cfa893d7704c6da8e17e65dca_h264_high.mp4" /]

the wheel design is awful, if you hit a curb with either wheel you are going to smash the cowling. This bike is hilarious.

In the daytime riding video he seems to be really babying it, I reckon the front wheel is sketchy as ****. The loads on the bearings must be ridiculous and I think it keeps binding.

puffballs
    Free Member

Potentially lethal, lean it over too far when cornering, and you’ll go from tyre to cowling, at which point you’ll just slide, at best into a hedge, worse, under a bus.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I reckon the front wheel is sketchy as ****. The loads on the bearings must be ridiculous and I think it keeps binding.

Or does the cowling keep hitting the ground – they ride it incredibly slowly and pretty much in a straight line so that they dont have to lean the bike at all…..

Potentially lethal, lean it over too far when cornering, and you’ll go from tyre to cowling, at which point you’ll just slide, at best into a hedge, worse, under a bus.

FTFY

Assuming it’s a pneumatic tyre this happens sooner if you run at low pressure. Or get a puncture. And of course checking your tyre pressure is made all the more difficult as the wheel’s completely cowled so you can’t see it and can’t easily test it.

Thinking about it, I can’t quite think how a conventional tyre tube works with a spokeless wheel. Where does the valve sit?

I’m increasingly convinced this is a TV investigation to demonstrate the credulity of people on Kickstarter.

rossburton
    Free Member

The tyres are “airless” so you don’t have to worry about pressure or punctures. Of course there’s a reason why nobody uses solid tyres…

nach
    Free Member

😯

This thing belongs in a parade or something maybe, but nowhere else.

If this can get funded, I’m starting a kickstarter for luxury tallbikes.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

just because you can…
    …doesn’t mean you should

brant
    Free Member

This is worth a read regarding similar, if less outlandish claims.

http://redkiteprayer.com/2016/07/consumer-protection/

Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Almost fully funded Kickstarter insanity…’ is closed to new replies.