Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • All season car tyres
  • Waderider
    Free Member

My old Volvo V40 has a worn out offside front tyre, and I’m wondering about the worth of replacing both front tyres with a set of all seasons, and then doing the rear tyres once they are worn.

Has anyone year round experience of all season tyres? Any tyre recommendations?

The car came with Michelin Energy Savers from the factory, so that is what I’ve always put on it, but it looks like they’ve been replaced. The replacement Michelin Energy Saver 2 reviews quite badly.

I live on the west coast of Scotland in Argyll, so snow doesn’t lie long but by god it rains.

Thanks!

Bimbler
    Free Member

My old dear has Bridgestone a001 tyres on her BMW 1 series, they’re really very good, although tbf they’re the only all season car tyres I have experience of

spooky_b329

Kleber Quadraxer, 45k/two years out of our last set.

Owned by Michelin, good price, and unusual in that they are an all season tyre but have achieved the winter tyre snowflake mark.

Handling in summer is a tiny bit more ‘rubbery’ but that was a plus as our car was firm and fidgety on summer tyres, we only noticed the change for the first couple of drives, but in winter it was transformed and it would scrabble its way up unmade tracks covered in ice with little trouble.

Waderider
    Free Member

Thanks guys. While we’re at it, can anyone recommend good websites to get tyres from? Blackcircles doesn’t stock some of these tyres.

I plan on mail ordering and getting the local garage to fit.

matt_outandabout

We had Hankook Optimo 4s on for the last couple of years and found them brilliant (highlands here), both in wet conditions and cold/ice/snow. I did not get them this time, as the garage had silly prices on full winter tyres. Get the local garage to order them as they will sell a few, and might do a good price. Lix Toll have done good prices for me before.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

We have run Vredestein snow tracks for the last year, including the summer.
    No negative effect and they have lasted much longer than premium “summer” tyres.

So maybe think about the full winters as well as the all-seasons.

qwerty
    Free Member

Michelins budget Kleber Quadraxer here, fitted to a Berlingo so can’t comment on performance.

dantsw13

Based on the German Auto Bild All Season Tyre Test. I went for the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons on my Quattro, and have been very happy.

chewkw
    Free Member

Good info.

Should have got 4 season tyres as I will need to do sales in future. 😀

grey

Good choice, i’ve been running the Vector 4 seasons for over a year now on my Kangoo 4×4 and i am very happy with them, they are great in the snow as well. A friend also runs them on his Octavia Scout and is happy with them.

RoterStern
    Free Member

If you think about about it though they are bound to be compromised at both ends of the temperature spectrum. I went from using summer/winter tyres on my old car to the all season on the new and personally I think they are no where near as good as dedicated winter tyres especially when it’s icy or snowy.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Been using Bridgestone A001’s for the last 3 years to replace Michelin Energy. Brilliant in the wet and on snow/ice/slush. Never had a problem in the dry either. Drove out to the Alps last summer with them and couldn’t find anything to complain about. They get me round corners, help me set off and stop without skidding. What more do you want a tyre to do?

If you have a Tom Farmer Autocare near you I’ve always found them cheapest for these tyres.

Waderider
    Free Member

Thanks all.

rickt
    Free Member

Fit 4 not 2 though.. Think lateral grip !

oliverd1981
    Free Member

about it though they are bound to be compromised at both ends of the temperature spectrum

In Scotland?

9 months of the year you’d struggle to compromise a winter tyre!

andy8442
    Free Member

We’ve run Hankook All Seasons on my wife’s VW Touran for the last 3yrs. No negatives to report. She doesn’t drive at the “ragged edge”, they provide better grip in the rain and of course snow. They aren’t as good as full winters, but there is a significant improvement on Summer tyres.

neninja
    Free Member

Got All Season Dunlops on my wife’s X-Trail. It’s never got stuck in snow so I guess they must be working well enough.

I considered winter tyres for it but they have always worked well in snow with 4 wheel drive engaged so are a good compromise.

molgrips
    Free Member

For anyone looking for a better summer tyre than Michelin Energy Savers try Nokian H. Far nicer Imo.

bigjim

We had Hankook Optimo 4s on for the last couple of years and found them brilliant (highlands here), both in wet conditions and cold/ice/snow

same, noticeably better in winter than summer tyres that were on before, not noticed any difference in summer, but I am a ‘normal’ driver with a small car and don’t push tyres to the edge, dude.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I use Camskill for tyres mail order

richmtb

For anyone looking for a better summer tyre than Michelin Energy Savers try Goodyear Eagle F1’s

FTFY

Although as others have said you would probably be fine in Scotland with winter tyres all year round

highlandman
    Free Member

Goodyear Ultragrip 8 on a Passat- very good indeed on snow and gets high ratings for cold wet roads. I live in Angus and drive all over the Highlands, all year round and thoroughly recommend them and have had several sets over the years. You’ll notice a significant handling improvement over the Michelin Energys on any wet road and most of all on a cold road, below +7C.
    Any of the top branded 4 season or winter tyres will be a lot better than the hard compound Michelins; think of them as comparable to a Maxxis 70a summer tyre. 4 seasons are like 60a, good when you have the right tread pattern for the conditions.
    Full winters (like the Ultragrip) are the 50a and a full snow tyre is a super tacky at 42a, with tread wear to match. You’d struggle to find that type of tyre in the UK.
    Add Yokohama and Continental to your suggested shopping list, both do good products.

Northwind

richmtb – Member

Although as others have said you would probably be fine in Scotland anywhere with winter tyres all year round

Another ftfy- tyre manufacturer recommendation is generally that if you can’t run 2 sets of tyres, and you live somewhere that has a winter, the best option is to use winter tyres all year. But certainly it is fine to run decent winters all year.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘All season car tyres’ is closed to new replies.