Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 147 total)
  • Alien Covenant… – No Spoilers
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Not long now. This just been released….

[video]https://youtu.be/ivv5ef4TDNw[/video]

vintagewino
    Free Member

75% sure it’s going to be a disappointing reboot. The android cocks everything up AGAIN.

footflaps

75% sure it’s going to be a disappointing reboot

If it’s anything like Prometheus, it will be a huge disappointment At least this time my expectations are set very low….

CountZero

If it’s anything like Prometheus, it will be a huge disappointment At least this time my expectations are set very low….

I always go to see a film with no real expectations other than a need to be entertained.
    That way I’m rarely disappointed.

piemonster

Like Countzero I watched without expectation.

I still left disappointed

garage-dweller

Am I alone in quite liking Prometheus then?

It’s not a great film by any stretch but I’ve seen much much worse movies.

oldnpastit

Could be OK.

shermer75
    Free Member

Am I ok to put my hand up and admit I don’t really understand what just happened?

loddrik
    Free Member

I loved Prometheus. But then I’m a bit obsessive of Alien related stuff (abominations of battles with Predators excepted!!!). Yes it should have been much better. But it was still highly enjoyable. I’m absolutely positively giddy with anticipation for Covenant. Which I’m nigh on certain I’ll love.

vongassit
    Free Member

Am I alone in quite liking Prometheus then?

Nope , I have watched it three times now. I do enjoy a slow burn type of film. Don’t need a car chase, explosions or the all goes quiet before you S*!T urself moments to enjoy a film.

shermer75
    Free Member

Why has that only had 26,000 views!?!?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I like Prometheus and have enjoyed all the trailers for Covenant but that trailer really annoyed me as I suspect that is for Prometheus 2.really. Stunning though.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

That was the disappointment of Prometheus.

Beautifully made, ravishing visually, but a muddle headed, fairly pointless story.

jonnyboi

This movie is going to be so good that it’ll improve Prometheus.

FuzzyWuzzy

I think the first half of Prometheus is really good then it just goes downhill from there, hopefully Covenant won’t follow the same path

jekkyl

he certainly likes to stick to the same formula… team of people in space, lets watch them all interact for a bit, see how they get along, aren’t they friendly, one’s a bit grumpy, one’s up themselves and one is the hero and one is an Android!
    Woops there’s an alien on board! how did that happen? everyone dies except the Hero and the Android and maybe one other if they’re lucky and the cat!

I like Sci-fi horror, probably my favourite genre. I also liked the AvP series, espicially AVP2, great film, loads of alien tech and fighting and shit. Predator4 out next year..

kimbers

shermer75 – Member
    Why has that only had 26,000 views!?!?

coz prometheus was shit? 😉

it looked lovely, there was a good story in there somewhere, but the script was terrible, the characters were both unbelievable & unlikable and it was too far up its own arse

nickc

The issue I have with all these (and I count myself a fan of both Ridley Scott and the Alien films) is that they’re all the same* and the story “arc” (FWIW) hasn’t moved beyond the premise of the ’79 original, and it’s all getting a bit repetitive and tedious now

Beyond a few meaningless details that the online geeks on You Tube will masturbate over, the plot of this one will be identical to the 5? that have come before it. The amount of trailers, sneak peaks and so on pretty much revealed that Oh Look! massive surprise! the robot “we’ve” created has risen up against us: who knew!!….Ridley, we get it, robots; not catholic, move on, already…

*yes, I know, but c’mon, is it too much to ask?

darrell
    Free Member

I liked Prometheus as well

It was a good movie

jonnyboi

also liked the AvP series, espicially AVP2,

You need to have a word with yourself

johndoh
    Free Member

I liked Prometheus so much that, even though I have watched it twice, I cannot actually remember the storyline other than they land somewhere and there is an Alien (or Aliens – I really can’t remember).

footflaps

I just watched AvP for the 1st time this week (on a flight to the US).

Was OK for a mindless action film, but a lot of the Alien stuff didn’t didn’t fit properly with the Alien world, like the thing gestating in under 1 minute rather than taking a day or so….

hels
    Free Member

nickc – you just described the entire Star Wars film series too. (although I think if one drew two venn diagrams of Star Wars fans and Film fans, they wouldn’t overlap)

They should have stopped at Aliens.

funkmasterp

I liked Prometheus so much that, even though I have watched it twice, I cannot actually remember the storyline

Count yourself lucky. My main issue was with the size of the engineers. The one they find in alien is huge. In Prometheus, not so much. Did they not even refer back to the original.

Really want this one too be great, but I won’t be surprised if it’s a incoherent mess.

13thfloormonk

See, I think the people who were disappointed in Prometheus only have themselves to blame. Pretty much every criticism I’ve heard amounts to geeky nitpicking, demanding a sci-fi/horror movie meets some sort of impossibly high standard of credibility and scripting, or things which should really just be put down to ‘poetic license’.

Count yourself lucky. My main issue was with the size of the engineers.

You let that ruin the movie for you? Seriously? Perhaps the engineers come from a planet where different ethnic groups of engineer are bigger or smaller than one-another? Is that such a stretch of your imagination? I mean, you wouldn’t scoff if someone said Dutch people were typically taller than Indonesians etc. etc.

jonnyboi

The main problems I have with Prometheus are the incoherence of the film, possibly brought about by poor editing. It would be interesting if a directors cut would have any impact upon this.

But my main gripe is the huge lack of character development or meaningful interaction, meaning that you weren’t really invested in them and you didn’t really understand why they behaved as they did. Or care that much when they died.

hels
    Free Member

After the torrent of shite that was Aliens 3 onwards, my expectatios of Prometheus was only that it be better, as Ridley Scott was involved. Sadly he ‘phoned that film in. It just squeaked it as better.

Cougar

My biggest bug-bear with Prometheus was that they seemed to have assembled a crew who were all bloody useless at their jobs. They were all “I’ve heard a noise in this haunted basement and the light doesn’t work… I guess I’ll go and investigate on my own armed with a Swiss roll” levels of stupid.

If there had been some preamble or plot device to explain that for some reason they’d deliberately sent a crack team of cretins to meet our makers I think I’d have had a lot more fun with it.

PrinceJohn

I watched the teaser trailer for this. I’m not watching anything else, the trailers give too much away these days, it’s getting frustrating.

Cougar

I’m of the same mind – I’m trying to work out whether I want to watch this one or not. I’m blessed with a rubbish memory so I’ll probably have forgotten what happened by the time the film comes out.

fooman

I noticed the poster for this says;

‘From the director of The Martian and Alien’

Seemed a bit odd to mention The Martian first, and no mention of Prometheus. Does this ignore the Prometheus storyline?

jekkyl

No, it’s a continuation of it. From what I’ve seen it seems to suggest that David & that woman travel to the engineer’s planet and wipe them out using their black goo against them. Then, years later David is involved with this re-colonisation attempt and once there they find a crashed engineers vessel with some black goo and then the fun begins.
    On a nerd point, the teaser shows a human morphing into an alien rather than bursting out his chest, or may I assumed wrongly.

Kato

I liked Prometheus

Except for terrible acting of the Scottish woman

lovewookie

Except for terrible acting of the Scottish woman

that.
    I liked prometheus, it was a bit of an amble through, but decent effects which kinda made up for it (after I’d cleaned myself up from the first shot of the alien ship)
    I also liked alien 3, but more so as the alien was dog like, hinting at morphological mimicry.
    I thought Alien was OK, but watched it after I’d seen aliens in the 80’s, so it seemed a little slow.

Alien resurrection was OK, apart from the final alien/human hybrid offspring thing, that just looked silly.

I’m looking forward to figuring out what they don’t tell you about this one. get fed up of films explaining the plot to 5 year olds (apart from transfromers, i could watch those all day, with my brain in a bucket)

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

deliberately sent a crack team of cretins to meet our makers I think I’d have had a lot more fun with it.

I laughd a lot more than I should have done at this.

Imagine what a spce mission crewed by STWers would be like – Binners, Ninfan and TJ in a confined space together.

teasel
    Free Member

also liked the AvP series

I once saw AVP Volleyball listed and stayed up ’till the early hours thinking I’d see some great action.

Was disappoint…

13thfloormonk

But my main gripe is the huge lack of character development or meaningful interaction, meaning that you weren’t really invested in them and you didn’t really understand why they behaved as they did.

Lol, it’s not Jane Austen! I’m not saying sci-fi can’t or shouldn’t aspire to this standard, but how many great sci-fi movies have managed without it? Most of Arnie’s I’d imagine…

If there had been some preamble or plot device to explain that for some reason they’d deliberately sent a crack team of cretins to meet our makers I think I’d have had a lot more fun with it.

😀

Agree, but at the same time, if people in sci-fi movies were good at what they were supposed to be good at, the movies would be very boring, or very short. Like if the people who built Jurassic Park had actually planned for big storms on a Pacific Island, etc. etc.

I genuinely don’t care if people liked Prometheus or not, I’m more just curious that it gets more criticism than it deserves, is it because they were messing with a classic? I’d say the one where Ripley becomes some sort of hoop-shooting super being on a ship full of mercenaries was a bigger sacrilege (although I still liked that one).

Cougar

I recently (well, a couple of years ago now) watched all four Alien movies over a weekend, all in their full remastered director’s extended this is the final version until we mess about with them again honest Blu-Ray glory. I thought:

The remaster of Alien is superb, it’s like it was filmed yesterday.

Aliens is still an outstanding movie, one of my all-time favourite films.

Alien Cubed is still complete toilet, one of my all-time biggest cinematic disappointments.

Alien Resurrection is far from being a great film but it’s much, much better than I remembered it being at the time.

nickc

I’m more just curious that it gets more criticism than it deserves, is it because they were messing with a classic?

It deserves heaps of opprobrium shovelled upon it like a steaming pile because it’s such a mess of a film.

It literally makes no sense.

There are plot holes in many films I know, and it’s not some art house existential examination of the human condition , but Prometheus just takes that to a new level of super massive black plot hole-ness. and I think people were outraged because even if you accept Ridley’s insistence that it wasn’t going to be an Alien pre-quel…How could it not have been you utter utter arse biscuit!

That’s why

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to its release. I was chatting with the lead animatronic designer who worked on Prometheus (and Arrival, Harry Potter etc. etc.) last weekend, he’s a talented bloke.
    Simon Williams, Artist and Animatronics designer

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 147 total)

The topic ‘Alien Covenant… – No Spoilers’ is closed to new replies.