Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Alicia Keys – Empire State of Mind (Part II)
  • flippinheckler
    Free Member
    stilltortoise
    Free Member

Saw her on Jonathan Ross last week or the week before. She is gorgeous 8)

clareymorris
    twang
    Free Member

Wow and lush and Wow again..!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Is it just me? Dreadful warbling.

clareymorris

TJ, you may be outnumbered on this thread!!

clareymorris

Fallin

and I still love this.

lister

so it's just me that thinks she shouts instead of singing then? i really don't get her at all.

BigJohn

Is there an official term for allergy to dreadful wobblygob ballads? Because (like TJ I suspect) I've got it.

Autotuneitis maybe?

Flash
    Free Member

Christ that's bad!!

jockhaggis
    Free Member
    mboy
    Free Member

Coming from someone who isn't into Soul/R&B at all… She is awesome!

And she's hot.

Check out Smokin Aces in which she makes her acting debut… She's pretty good too!

GJP
    Free Member

I'm a fan – bought 4 of her albums in the last couple of weeks. But I can understand why her voice is not to everyone's taste.

GJP
    Free Member

Quite like this one -with the guy from Maroon 5 or so I have read

Alicia Keys – Wild Horses

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Listened to all the links on this thred. Very poor IMo – its all about giving that "virtuoso" performance not actually letting the song and her voice stand on their own. Why sing when you can warble with unneeded vibrato. And she misses some notes and her phrasing is awful

Sorry – I like a bit of soul and female vocals but thats mince

ojom
    Free Member

TJ – you know i love you but even i have to say you are incorrect.

You cannot criticise a singers phrasing and notes when she wrote the song…. she is pretty far from doing virtuoso style stuff and that's why people like her.

Candodavid
    Free Member

TBC- did you not know Tj knows everything…he's the STW soothsayer and definitive wealth of knowledge ……just sometimes he talks out of his butt though,

GJP
    Free Member

TJ – how about this fine woman then. First one I picked from youtube from Erykah Badu.

Erykah Badu and Stephen Marley

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Why all that vibrato and warbling then? I can think of loads of better female vocalists.

ojom
    Free Member

You can think of loads you 'prefer'. Not better per se.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fair enough TBC – Too much flashy technique IMO

All music is a matter of opinion. I mean people still listen to hair metal FFS

You set me off looking for my favorite female vocalists now

How about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od-Hsm6Ey2M now thats soulful.
    Or anything by the incomparable Skye Edwards http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwuuuaKlXJ4 for example
    Or Joyce – exiled for singing this feminist anthem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC8TO8Vg7D4
    Tracy chapman? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rZbvi6Tj6E

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Checked them all out TJ and to be frank, you're wrong. Alicia Keys is fitter than all of them 😆

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Seriously tho', that Jhelisa track is a bit Marmite. I don't know if it was my laptop speakers but it sounded like a tape that was getting chewed up

grumm
    Free Member

Liked the Jay Z one but this is gash imo.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Judge the singing. None of the ones I picked are stunners- mind you I don't think much of keys looks either. Ok I suppose but a studmuffin like me should be able to do better.

I'm listening to the Keys link on the other thread. Its fine. Just not that amazing to me. I find the style irritating. to many vocal tricks. sometimes less is more.

That Jhelisa album is something else tho – you should give it a listen Language electric. fantastic.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

for once, I agree with TJ 😀

Sounds characterless to me. Is she real or a computer generated popstar singing a computer generated popsong?

[sorry fans, 'spect you'd hate my favourites]

robhughes
    Free Member

absolute crap….

nickc

Songs in A Minor is a good album, but Empire State of mind Pt11, I've heard too much now.

mboy
    Free Member

Sounds characterless to me. Is she real or a computer generated popstar singing a computer generated popsong?

LOL

Nothing wrong with computers!

That said Alicia Keys writes, plays many instruments, sings and I think even produces her own music. She is a talent not manufactured tripe for sure…

edhornby

songs in A minor was full of rip offs imo

fallin is a straight rip off from Mans Mans World by james brown for example

…. still would tho

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Yet again TJ and I find something to disagree about.

Nothing wrong with a bit of instrumental technique whether its voice guitar etc. although its no substitute for melody- and in Alicia Keys case that's clearly not the case.

Although I like a lot of what Sky Edwards did with Morcheeba and her solo stuff (I have her Mind How you Go Album) her voice although pleasant is hardly incomparable, quite limited range and her habit of singing in an estuary English accent annoys me.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with a bit of technique for sure but all the time? Less is more sometimes.

Skye Edwards voice is loads better. Just incomparable. Keys is all technique and no soul. Keys is a competent pop singer. Reminds me of Mariah Carey and barbera streisand and I was impressed with her piano playing on the bbc link on another thread .

Nothing amazing tho – many better singers out there.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Alicia Keys – Empire State of Mind (Part II)’ is closed to new replies.