Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Alfine set up
  • bumbly1
    Free Member

Just built up a Scandal frame with Alfine and have a question re cable routing. The Alfine cable assembly points forward however the cable routing on the Scandal is not along the chainstay but down the seat stay, can the Alfine cable clamp be moved from 9 o’clock to 11 o’clock?

bumbly1
    Free Member

Oh yes, another question, currently set up with 32t 18t, what do you run and for what type of riding? Not yet been out on it yet.

Gordymac
    Free Member

Hi Tom

I can’t help you with the cable routing as my one(Genesis i0ID) is on the chain stay. As standard the i0 came with a 36-18 and i found it a bit too hard on anything remotely steep so i changed to a 32 and i have been able to ride pretty much everything we have around here(Fyrish etc), and most of our trails are pretty steep. Im pretty sure you will manage fine on a 32-18. A rough guide to the gearing is Middle ring 3rd for the lowest gear and big ring 6th for the biggest(does that make sense?). I think they say it is like having a 29-10 cassete.

Gordymac 😉

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

You can run it up in against the seatstay if you like, it looks odd ime.
    I just cable tied mine to the chainstay on my Love/Hate

Run mine 32-18 which works for me. Rode round afan like this, and could have done with an extra gear tbh. Fine for XC and general riding

bumbly1
    Free Member

Cheers guys, sounds as if I have a good basis for trying it out anyway. Looking at the Shimano bumph, I dont think there is an option on the routing. Looking forward to trying it tomorrow 🙂
    Tom

bumbly1
    Free Member

Just back from my first ride, excellent. I had a Rohloff before and imho this is much better, gear change is sweet and I prefer the trigger set up to the twist grip though there is a twist available too. Rohloff has two cables and a number of accoutrements, the alfine is much neater and quieter in operation. The spread of ratios is good on the Alfine too. The Rohloff felt as if it was using up effort all the time whereas the Alfine feels “direct”. I have not checked up on the weight but the Alfine feels lighter. Well chuffed 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Alfine set up’ is closed to new replies.